Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Heavy Horses "New Shoes Edition" February 9th 2018

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Nah keep the original drums. Wilson can get them to sound a lot better with eq work etc. Maybe add some cymbals if needed. They are Ludwig samples. Using modern drums on this would ruin it like Blizzard of Oz was ruined with the re release.
    I agree with this, the drums shouldn't be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Nah keep the original drums. Wilson can get them to sound a lot better with eq work etc. Maybe add some cymbals if needed. They are Ludwig samples. Using modern drums on this would ruin it like Blizzard of Oz was ruined with the re release.
    Did Gavin Harrison ruin the re-release of Porcupine Tree's 'Up The Downstair'?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nothing on Amazon US yet.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Nothing on Amazon US yet.
    Sure it is...

https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Horses-...tull+new+shoes
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The great thing about this version is that Wilson had Ian Anderson's vocals replaced with those of Joey Tempest from Europe (he who sings "Final Countdown"). That way, Heavy Horses gets brand new vocal voice which highlights some nuances in the material itself and gets them up and about as they are, so to speak. As such, we feel and see this version differently from that old version. In that respect, we become new and other listeners as a whole, and new people too. With regard to this, our outlooks on the world, the universe, God and ourselves change dramatically.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jeez, even on the official Tull site they refer to Stormwatch as part of a 'folk trilogy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The great thing about this version is that Wilson had Ian Anderson's vocals replaced with those of Joey Tempest from Europe (he who sings "Final Countdown"). That way, Heavy Horses gets brand new vocal voice which highlights some nuances in the material itself and gets them up and about as they are, so to speak. As such, we feel and see this version differently from that old version. In that respect, we become new and other listeners as a whole, and new people too. With regard to this, our outlooks on the world, the universe, God and ourselves change dramatically.
    My outlook on the world changed so dramatically after listening to Dromographic Trauma (which is the liveliest live album of all live albums) that I wouldn't for heavens endure another such change so early in my life again. So I will pass.

Any excuse to hear these songs anew. Heavy Horses was badass!!!
    The Prog Corner

And yet you know the singer of Europes' name

Joey Tempest singing selected works from Dushanbe changed my life!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by schlongasaurus View Post
    And yet you know the singer of Europes' name
    Luckily, once you've heard it you refuse to forget. Or was that his voice?
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Luckily, once you've heard it you refuse to forget. Or was that his voice?
    FFS, I just checked and I have Wings of Tomorrow on vinyl, which was supposed to be heavier than Final Countdown - like this is an achievement of a sort. A duckling's testicles feather is heavier than this!
    In my country, Final Countdown is bigger than our national anthem, and I had to be innumerable times tortured by it, when growing up. The song was used as the intro of the Greek National Basketball team when it won European Championship in 1987. Even my 80year father, completely indifferent to any sort of music, can hum its melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The song was used as the intro of the Greek National Basketball team when it won European Championship in 1987.
    The song itself would compete against Opus' "Life is Life" and John Farnham's "You're the Voice" for choral finale fanfare wonder. When I hear those ecstatic shouts of blissful hiss, my pelvis comes loose like Elvis from a knooce.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 12-12-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Better include a repro of the beer mat!

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

He better jack up the mando in "Acres Wild" or I'm gonna start listening to Europe instead.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    He better jack up the mando in "Acres Wild" or I'm gonna start listening to Europe instead.
    Can't you just hear that funky mando-part being handled by the "Countdown" synthtone? It kinda goes I'll make love to you [deedadee-doo], in open spaces [deedadeeda-doo].

Wilson never fails afe.

Really think I'm going to pass on this. I love Heavy Horses, but I'm happy enough with the last remaster, and it includes most of the outtakes mentioned here. The live stuff I can live without: I've already Bursting out and Live at Madison Square Garden, not to mention the fantastic dvd on the recent Songs from the Wood box, and I think that's as much live Tull from this era as I need - it's not as if their set or performances changed that dramatically between shows.

I wish that once these deluxe packages ran their course that there would be a package of all the extraneous live material, similar to that DVD package Rush did. There's fans who skip these releases but would jump on a compilation of the live shows.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Really think I'm going to pass on this. I love Heavy Horses, but I'm happy enough with the last remaster, and it includes most of the outtakes mentioned here. The live stuff I can live without: I've already Bursting out and Live at Madison Square Garden, not to mention the fantastic dvd on the recent Songs from the Wood box, and I think that's as much live Tull from this era as I need - it's not as if their set or performances changed that dramatically between shows.
    There’s 6 new studio tracks on this one. Never heard before in studio

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Bull Moose is pretty funny - since they don't have the cover art, they have a picture of Paul Simon with the words "Art not available."

Copies with a signed IA postcard are available from Burning Shed UK (limited to 500). Its £34.99 which is about $47 (plus shipping).

Quote Originally Posted by Morphy65 View Post
    Copies with a signed IA postcard are available from Burning Shed UK (limited to 500). Its £34.99 which is about $47 (plus shipping).
    Thanks for the heads up!