Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9012Live

Do anyone know if the live version of It Can Happen which was added on the japan 2009 reissue is the same as the one found on the b-side of the It Can Happen 7'' single? Where was it recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Do anyone know if the live version of It Can Happen which was added on the japan 2009 reissue is the same as the one found on the b-side of the It Can Happen 7'' single? Where was it recorded?
    I believe it is and it is from the 9012live film I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    I believe it is and it is from the 9012live film I think.
    I’m almost 100 percent sure the live version of the “It Can Happen” released on the B side side is,in fact, NOT the same version as seen on the 9012 Live.

Clarifying, I’m pretty sure the It Can Happen bonus track on the 9012 Live CD is the same as from the B side of the single. That single was released in June/July 1984.

The 9012 Live concert video was recorded in late September 1984.

Additionally, the City of Live bonus track is the same truncated version as was found on the B side of Rhythm of Love which was released in late 87. That version of City of Love, is from the 9012 Live video although it is edited for time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I’m almost 100 percent sure the live version of the “It Can Happen” released on the B side side is,in fact, NOT the same version as seen on the 9012 Live.
    The single lists Eddie Offord as coproducer. He didn't have anything to do with the video, did he?

Clarifying, I’m pretty sure the It Can Happen bonus track on the 9012 Live CD is the same as from the B side of the single. That single was released in June/July 1984.

The 9012 Live concert video was recorded in late September 1984.

Additionally, the City of Live bonus track is the same truncated version as was found on the B side of Rhythm of Love which was released in late 87. That version of City of Love, is from the 9012 Live video although it is edited for time.
    interesting I have a copy of the single at home somewhere I will try and dig it out and see if it says anything about where it was from. always just presumed it was 9012live.

interesting I have a copy of the single at home somewhere I will try and dig it out and see if it says anything about where it was from. .
    It doesn't. Only says "Live- Previously Unreleased."

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    It doesn't. Only says "Live- Previously Unreleased."
    could they have used the Dortmund recording that 9012live solos was drawn from? might have been too close to manufacture date though I feel like they could get that kind of thing done quicker back then.

Thanks for the info on the live version of It Can Happen.
    I bought the 7'' single the first week of July 1984, it was fresh off the pressing plant.
    I've always liked that live version and preferred it over the regular album version, but i've always liked very much the edit on the a-side as well, and only recently i became aware a live version was available on a japanese mini-lp cd while the edit was included on the US edition of The Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection. Good thing the live version on the japanese mini-lp cd reissue is the one from the 7''.

On the 7'' single there are no info about the live version, absolutely nothing.

could they have used the Dortmund recording that 9012live solos was drawn from? might have been too close to manufacture date though I feel like they could get that kind of thing done quicker back then.
    I doubt it. The Dortmund show was June 24. I also bought that single in early to mid-July 1984.

I doubt it. The Dortmund show was June 24. I also bought that single in early to mid-July 1984.
    was thinking I might try and compare it to a bootleg I have of the Dortmund show but whoever posted the complete Dortmund show for download on dime seemed to think it can happen came from it as they removed it to avoid releasing official material.

they should have released a full live album instead.

In 1972, Elvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden was rolled out for the public a mere week after Presley's first ever NYC concert performances. Mind you, Corporal Parker probably paid extra to have the album rush released, but it is possible. I'm not sure how long it takes to press up enough records to do a major label release, but it takes only a couple hours (if even that) to mix a recording. Don't know how long mastering takes, but you have to reckon if RCA could do it for Presley, it stands to reason that Atlantic could do it for Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    they should have released a full live album instead.
    Been discussed here before but it was the early days of home video and it was a companion release to the 9012live video - the idea being that people would buy both - which I did. Think it was pretty successful at the time.

I bought the single on June 18, so it definitely couldn't be from that show.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I just searched the Billboard archive and It Can Happen entered the chart on the week ending 23rd june 1984 at #85:
    https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1984-06-23

The live version definitely can't be taken from the Dortmund show.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Been discussed here before but it was the early days of home video and it was a companion release to the 9012live video - the idea being that people would buy both - which I did. Think it was pretty successful at the time.
    Also, it probably would have been deemed "too soon" to do a live album. They'd only done one studio album since the release of Yesshows, and the live 1984 setlist basically consisted of most or all of 90125 (Our Song was played for the first shows of the tour, then dropped, but it came back for the second North American leg), plus a just few older songs, only one of which (the "Masters Of Time" section of Awaken, which Jon did as part of his solo section of the show) hadn't appeared on either Yessongs or Yesshows.

So the thought of putting out a live album under those circumstances might have been considered "too exploitative", if not by the record label, than certainly by the band. The concert video was probably deemed "a better strategy" since it was still a relatively new format, and it was thus "the thing to do". That's probably why the found footage and computer animation was used so extensively, because they were trying to be "cutting edge" and "avant garde". There's things in there that I like, but they went way overboard with that one. Damn shame Steven Soderbegh turned into such a "Hollywood" type director (though his late 90's film Schizopolis is one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen in my life).

One thing I always thought was interesting is during Starship Trooper. Now, there's a bit during his guitar solo where Rabin does this two handed tapping thing. At the end of that section of the solo, you see him do something that doesn't quite match up with what you hear. I always wondered if that was an overdubbed, and he just ended the tapping with something different than what he had played on the night, or if this is another one of those things where they used a clip from a different night from the one that audio is coming from (they shot two nights in Edmonton). Something similar happened in Queen's We Will Rock You video, where there's a very short bit during Killer Queen where you hear Freddie's voice, but his lips aren't moving.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    I just searched the Billboard archive and It Can Happen entered the chart on the week ending 23rd june 1984 at #85:
    https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1984-06-23

The live version definitely can't be taken from the Dortmund show.
    dang then the mystery continues and I am frustrated that my Dortmund bootleg is unnecessarily incomplete!