Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite version of Starless?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I never thought I'd see "Mel C" and "King Crimson" mentioned in the same post.
    So does that mean it was actually Sporty Spice who ruined Genesis?!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So does that mean it was actually Sporty Spice who ruined Genesis?!
    No, absolutely not. It is a well known fact that it was Phil Collins who ruined Sporty Spice. Poor girl has never been the same since.....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Having never heard of any "Mel C" apart from Crim's Mel, I googled and found someone who I'd never heard of, but it looks like if you thought of the other Mel C first, it's time to turn in your prog card.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I think I'm quite alone in this, but although I love a lot of the live-versions, I'm only moved by the studio-recording on Red.
    The studio version gets my vote too. The saxless versions leave me cold.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    No, absolutely not. It is a well known fact that it was Phil Collins who ruined Sporty Spice. Poor girl has never been the same since.....
    Just for the record, in case anyone doesn't remember, my point was an allusion to something I posted a few yeras back. SOmeone was carrying on yet again about how Phil Collins "ruined' Genesis, but only referred to him by his last name. So I saw "Collins", and somehow my mind defaulted to Mel Collins (I had probably recently been listening to Islands, or maybe the Jacksonville show), and so I decided to start a thread with the facetious title "Did Mel Collins ruin Genesis?", as I somehow thought this brain fart deserved commemoration.

So you go from Mel Collins to Mel C to Sporty Spice, and you can see where one might end up with the impression that Melanie Chisholm who messed up Genesis.

(And there's absolutely no reason for me to know the actual names of any of the Spice Girls, other than the fact that I actually kinda had the hots for Sporty Spice at the time)

Old Spice wasn't much to look at, but always smelled fresh! :P
    As far as the be;oved Spice Girls, Scary Spice (especially with those hair horns) was the girl for me!
    Just for the record, in case anyone doesn't remember, my point was an allusion to something I posted a few yeras back. SOmeone was carrying on yet again about how Phil Collins "ruined' Genesis, but only referred to him by his last name. So I saw "Collins", and somehow my mind defaulted to Mel Collins (I had probably recently been listening to Islands, or maybe the Jacksonville show), and so I decided to start a thread with the facetious title "Did Mel Collins ruin Genesis?", as I somehow thought this brain fart deserved commemoration.

So you go from Mel Collins to Mel C to Sporty Spice, and you can see where one might end up with the impression that Melanie Chisholm who messed up Genesis.

(And there's absolutely no reason for me to know the actual names of any of the Spice Girls, other than the fact that I actually kinda had the hots for Sporty Spice at the time)
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I tend to prefer the studio version, but I do like the two version on Great Deceiver boxset with David Cross on violin

I also like the Orpheum version quite a bit as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I like the orpheum starless but it has to be hi volume to really feel it.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Studio original
    2017 Chicago Live recording
    I had difficulty with the solo guitar tone on this.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I had difficulty with the solo guitar tone on this.
    Fripps? I think he sounds great on this.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    All of them. But right now, this one:

Very cool. The song is sooooo much better with Fripp doing the entry solo rather than the violin.

Fripps? I think he sounds great on this.
    Did it sound different to you than many previous versions? less delicate?.... I thought it did.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 12-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Still alive and well...

Studio version is the best. No garbled lyrics, Mel Collins sax instead of David Cross violin, super polished.

There is a superb cover by The Unthanks which if you haven't heard is certainly worth a listen. Their use of the trumpet is somehow otherworldly. But then again, I'm a huge In thanks fan.

Well, the first two versions I heard were Pittsburgh and Providence, as I somehow managed to own the Great Deceiver box before I owned Red (and in fact, come to think of it, I had the Pittsburgh version on a bootleg cassette, though I'm not sure if that was derived from the King Biscuit broadcast or the boxset, as I think this was already the mid 90's when I got that tape).
    The Pittsburgh version was on a 1970s vinyl boot called Heretic; maybe your cassette was taken from that.

It's a close call, but I prefer the studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I think I'm quite alone in this, but although I love a lot of the live-versions, I'm only moved by the studio-recording on Red.
    Not alone! I was surprised by how many others said the same. As some have noted, the climax is sparser on a lot of the live versions, while the album version has a beautiful combination of crunching lows and soaring highs. Also there are some decorative additions on the Red version, like the screaming guitar ascent at 10:29 and the descent at 10:40, that I have never heard matched live.
    Last edited by Tom; 12-11-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

In full reverence to KC themselves, I submit District 97's cover as my favorite version. They were officially John Wetton's backup band before he passed, so it's not a casual relationship.

Here is a version from CTTE 2017, sung by a personal friend of John (Dennis). District 97 also did a version on their recent tour with Jamison Smeltz on the saxophone. I liked the saxophone version slightly better, but the CTTE version was incredibly emotional and blew my mind.

Start at 55:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Not alone! I was surprised by how many others said the same. As some have noted, the climax is sparser on a lot of the live versions, while the album version has a beautiful combination of crunching lows and soaring highs. Also there are some decorative additions on the Red version, like the screaming guitar ascent at 10:29 and the descent at 10:40, that I have never heard matched live.
    Add my name to the list of folks who chose the studio version of "Starless" as the best one. I feel that by the time KC recorded the song for Red, the band had jelled after two years of road (and studio) work and it really shows on "Starless".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I guess my assumption of being quite alone in this is based on the circle of music friends who prefer the live-recordings. Nice to see many share my warm feelings for the studio-version.

Speaking of covers, I love this one from Craig Armstrong:

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Did it sound different to you than many previous versions? less delicate?.... I thought it did.
    the new Chicago one? It has some teeth - I dunno - I just like it. Frippster uses a nice wide vibrato which is pretty nifty.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

the new Chicago one? It has some teeth - I dunno - I just like it.
    It sounds like the fans want bone-crunching heaviness, while the band wants something more like "Starless Starlight."
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin