Thread: RIP John Lennon 37 years on

RIP John Lennon 37 years on

Still hurts.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes. John's loss is the one I feel most strongly, all these years later. During his life he had many times when he was not productive ('the lost weekend') and a few albums I consider duff albums, but at the time of his senseless killing he was infused with a fresh sense of purpose. I feel his voice would have been strong and his wisdom a positive influence on our world, gone horribly off the rails since 1980.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They were playing a lot of Lennon stuff on Sirius' Beatles Channel this morning. Since I've been listening to the Beatles Channel with my son so much this year it's really hitting home how sad and senseless John's murder was. I remember coming home from high school that day and my mother telling me the news.

Not exactly related, but yesterday they played I am the Walrus, and my son (8) cracked up at the line "Sitting on a cornflake..." He said "How can you be a walrus AND be sitting on a cornflake?"

RIP, John.

Still feels as if I haven't quite got my breath back after being sucker punched. The world has always been a hard place but after that date it got a bit harder for me.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Oh, the tragic irony

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    but at the time of his senseless killing he was infused with a fresh sense of purpose.
    Yes, he was VERY excited. He stated that he felt like he did during the "Help!" period and promised a world tour that would "crash down in New York." That fateful night, as I was getting ready to leave for my midnight shift, my brother from NYC called and asked if I had heard the news. I immediately thought of John, but thought it would be the tour announcement. Instead it was the worst news I could ever have imagined.

Here's some cheerful thoughts - i just realized today both Lennon and Dimebag Darrel were both murdered on the same day (24 years apart - 1 day after Pearl Harbor Day. ). I'm a huge Lennon fan of course but i also like Dime too (and veterens!)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    More than a tragic loss.

On the somewhat brighter side, it's also Jim Morrison's birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    On the somewhat brighter side, it's also Jim Morrison's birthday.
    so my playlist today will be

Waiting For The Sun
    Double Fantasy
    Vulgar Display Of Power
    Ginger Baker's Air force

That'll work

His murder was already some years before I was born so I've never been in a world that had John Lennon in it, sadly.

One of the many tragedies here is that the 1980 sessions showed his tightest batch of songs since way back in the Imagine period, I think. It was very productive, the posthumous Milk And Honey picking up the leftover material (most of which was as good as what was released in 1980).

BTW it's worth seeking out the Double Fantasy Stripped Down release- much of it sounds far better to me than the slick original release. It's basically a mix with an 'as is' live sound, no production gloss, spoken intros, natural endings with no fades etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I feel his voice would have been strong and his wisdom a positive influence on our world, gone horribly off the rails since 1980.
    Yes, one of those people where you think, what the hell would he make of things now?? Certainly, he was no saint, but he owned up to his flaws in his interviews. Many don't have that wisdom.

Lennon's murder was one of those that was so shocking that I distinctly remember where I was when it happened and can picture getting the news. Studying for finals in my dorm room in college, someone came out into the hallway who had been watching the MNF game when Cosell announced the breaking news, and yelled out that Lennon had been shot. A bunch of us checked out the game/tv for more news and then stunned, we all just kind of hung in the hallway expressing our shock and incredulity. I didn't, but found out the next day that many students had headed over to the on campus church to light candles etc.

I was and still am a huge Beatles fan and growing up as a kid (had the 4 pics of them from the White Album on my bedroom wall at home, much to my parent's consternation) with much of that as the soundtrack to my boyhood, it was one of those deaths of a public figure that had a huge impact, especially since it was a murder. MLK and RFK were the first of those kinds of shocks for me, but I was still pretty young and though I remember them, wouldn't fully understand the impact for a few more years. Lennon's was the first one as a young adult that felt like this was a guy of "my" generation, someone I idolized and identified with because of his music and his beliefs. I was simply stunned someone would shoot him, a man who fought for peace his whole life.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 12-08-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They were playing a lot of Lennon stuff on Sirius' Beatles Channel this morning. Since I've been listening to the Beatles Channel with my son so much this year it's really hitting home how sad and senseless John's murder was. I remember coming home from high school that day and my mother telling me the news.
    RIP, John.
    Murder happened in the evening, Cosell announced it during the Mon Night Football game.

I heard Cosell announce it on MNF.
    Cosell sounded almost hysterical. I was in total shock. I was never a big fan of Lennon solo or Beatles solo in general but it was a kick in the stomach. When I heard Elvis died I was shocked for about a second. Lennon's death was numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I heard Cosell announce it on MNF.
    Cosell sounded almost hysterical. I was in total shock. I was never a big fan of Lennon solo or Beatles solo in general but it was a kick in the stomach. When I heard Elvis died I was shocked for about a second. Lennon's death was numbing.
    Interestingly, I heard some off the air audio on one of the sports shows today where it was actually Gifford who told Cosell "we have to put this on the air during the game and not wait" as they were trying to figure out how to handle it. Then Cosell proceeds with the announcement. Back when breaking news really meant breaking news.

I saw Cosell interview Lennon once on MNF. I think it was around 1977. Well, I didn't see it live but a re-broadcast or something. Lennon was a football (American Football) fan kind of. Good interview.

I saw Cosell interview Lennon once on MNF. I think it was around 1977. Well, I didn't see it live but a re-broadcast or something. Lennon was a football (American Football) fan kind of. Good interview.

Yeah dassit ^.

I might've seen it live. In the 70s I watched MNF every week. Never missed it. John was on American TV a lot in those days. Didn't he host the Johnny Carson show too?

Yeah dassit ^.

I might've seen it live. In the 70s I watched MNF every week. Never missed it. John was on American TV a lot in those days. Didn't he host the Johnny Carson show too?
    No, he never hosted Carson. John and Yoko cohosted a week on Mike Douglas, though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Murder happened in the evening, Cosell announced it during the Mon Night Football game.
    Well, maybe I came home from something after school. I really don't remember the time of day, just that I came home on a weekday. Could have been from a show at school, CTTOI. Thanks for being super-interested in my posts though!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    John and Yoko cohosted a week on Mike Douglas, though.
    Sometimes they made love and art, inside the Dakota.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, maybe I came home from something after school. I really don't remember the time of day, just that I came home on a weekday. Could have been from a show at school, CTTOI. Thanks for being super-interested in my posts though!
    Just interested in accuracy. Didn't want younger peeps to get the impression that it occurred at about 3 in the afternoon as you got off the bus, since it occurred at around 10 pm NY time. Also to emphasize the power of MNF back then, as that is how much of America got the tragic news, via Cosell.

Quote Originally Posted by richardedwards View Post
    That's hard. Rest in peace, the one and only
    Welcome to the forum. Please type faster.