Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roxy Music "Roxy Music (Super Deluxe Edition)" 3CD/1DVD box set including SW 5.1 mix

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    If the BBC sessions are the same ones as the When We Were Young boot, and I think they are, people will probably not be thrilled.

Ordered from them, now got a cancellation... Item is out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Ordered from them, now got a cancellation... Item is out of stock.
    LOL! Back in stock at the "bargain" price of $130, a 100% increase, looks to me as if they don't want to sell this at all, weird. I know us geezers got the jack but there's a limit I think most people are willing to go, $35 per disc is high above whatever the limit is IMO. Tull's Heavy Horses 5 disc set is $35 there, that's the sweet spot I think for buying music already bought probably multiple times.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 12-16-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Import CDs is a scumbag service. They did that before. Very poor. I never order anything from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Import CDs is a scumbag service. They did that before. Very poor. I never order anything from them again.
    Scumbag service? I'd prefer to think they made a mistake and have now corrected it, did you lose $ in the deal? Of course you can get back at them and order it from Burning Shed at a cost of $196 US delivered, that'll show 'em!
    Last edited by BarryLI; 12-16-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Ended up ordering from Amazon CA, about 90usd- still expensive but oh well...

Phil Manzanera's site has it for GBP100 plus a free tshirt

http://manzanera.com/new/pre-order-t...-music-boxset/
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

In the latest news-letter from Artist Shop this was mentioned:

Roxy Music/Roxy Music [Super Deluxe] ....triple CD + DVD $79.99

On the website http://artist-shop.com/caroline/index.htm#roxymusic they've added a "1" somewhere...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I forgot about Artist Shop!

Did anybody here grab a copy of this set?
    Any reviews - particularly of the early/alternative material on disc 2 and the 5.1mix on the DVD?

I got it, listened once to the 5.1, sounds good and discrete like any other SW mix - vocals in the center channel, backing vocals at the back, drums in the front, etc etc.
    Need to listen to it some more for more insights
    One more thing about this set- no wonder it is so expensive, the booklet is huge (havent read any of it yet but it looks very lavish)

I can't help but think that the book accounts for the majority of the price tag. Would you agree?

God knows what delights a "Super Deluxe" repackaging for "For Your Pleasure" (almost everybody's favourite RM release) will include...

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I can't help but think that the book accounts for the majority of the price tag. Would you agree?
    I think you're probably right. When I think of things like the Steven Wilson limited editions which are just a few disks inside a lavish book, and the price, it definitely seems like the book. Some other recent expensive sets with a big, hardcover book but no more in the ways of disks or epehemera (if any) than the KC boxes make me think this as well.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    "For Your Pleasure" (almost everybody's favourite RM release)
    In here, maybe. I'd think that in the general population they'd be outnumbered by people whose collections had only Avalon & Boys and Girls.

Here are interviews with Roxy Music band members Phil Manzanera & Andy Mackay from the Super Deluxe Edition website. They discuss the band and the new box set.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/in...on-roxy-music/
    http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/in...on-roxy-music/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wow, I forgot about Artist Shop!
    Me too! I used to order a fair amount from the Artist Shop in the late 1990's. The website still reflects that time period of internet development.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    Me too! I used to order a fair amount from the Artist Shop in the late 1990's. The website still reflects that time period of internet development.
    It does! Even Syn-Phonic has moved on a bit since then. But just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It does! Even Syn-Phonic has moved on a bit since then. But just a bit.
    lol! Just a bit is right! These sites are a nice time capsule and honestly i'm glad they are still in business.

Speaking of Roxy Music, I am only familiar with Avalon and Flesh + Blood. I know the most excellent Brian Eno is on that first record, but are there other elements to this first album a prog greek would enly? I should give it a listen.

If it helps, there are three very distinct phases for Roxy Music:

The Eno period - The self-titled debut and For Your Pleasure - Very original and absolutely essential.
    The Jobson period - Stranded, Country Life, Siren and the Viva! live album - Excellent but comparatively "safer".
    The later years - Manifesto, Flesh + Blood and Avalon - Stylish but very safe! Clearly targeting the mass-market.

Woop! Now $64.27 on Amazon.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Its dropped to £55 on Amazon.UK and so I've bitten the hook...
    Truth is the package seems value for money at that price but I must admit I've a few reservations:
    I don't think the book provides the value I'd expected - too many of the photos are far from sharp and don't benefit being printed as large as they are.
    The DVD video footage is OK and I'm happy with the 5.1 mix.
    The out-takes disc is interesting but probably won't get played as much as the BBC recordings.
    Despite some advance information to the contrary the "If there is Something" recording from 18 July 1972 is missing.
    CDs 2 and 3 are pretty full so I can appreciate that there is a space problem here but completists must be irked.