Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

I like it. Can't wait to see them on CTTE.

Excellent! Stolt is so goddamned great! The sax solo was a super pleasant surprise and fits so well...what a band, cant wait for this!

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I like it. Can't wait to see them on CTTE.
    They're touring???!!

Who sang that piece?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

^^

That was Daniel Gildenlow.

I loved the piece. Two thumbs up. Because of Daniel's voice and Roine's musical dna, it reminded me of Adam & Eve Flower Kings material.

I like this !
    I love Gildenlw as a singer but I find he's usually better on other people's songs than on his own music. Case in point: IMO this is better than anything from the latest Pain Of Salvation album, and that one was actually pretty good.

Good clip - I'm looking forward to this record.

As always, anything Stolt does away from TFK shows me how much Tomas Bodin was responsible for the sound of the latter, especially the arrangements.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Cant say I liked what I heard I'm afraid, heard it all before...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Is it really a "supergroup"? Shouldn't it be referred to as a mildly successful-fairly prolific-group?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I like it. Hope they can tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    That is probably true. However, when I eat a peanut butter sandwich, I would rather it taste like the last time I ate a peanut butter sandwich. That's why I'm eating it.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    That is probably true. However, when I eat a peanut butter sandwich, I would rather it taste like the last time I ate a peanut butter sandwich. That's why I'm eating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Exactly.

Honestly, I'm just not that keen on peanut butter anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    They're touring???!!
    I don't know how much touring they are doing, but they have been announced for CTTE. Daniel will not be singing for that one as he will be on the Pain of Salvation tour. Instead, Casey McPherson (who is already singing several of the songs) will be the main vocalist.

I'm disappointed by the song. I was expecting something different, and this is just more of the same stuff that I've grown tired of. If you were to tell me it's a new Flower Kings album, I wouldn't question it.

Really, with Tom Brislin in the band, I was hoping for something injecting more synth-pop/prog into the sound. I really don't hear him in this song and that's unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I'm disappointed by the song. I was expecting something different, and this is just more of the same stuff that I've grown tired of. If you were to tell me it's a new Flower Kings album, I wouldn't question it.
    This is heavier than anything by The Flower Kings. I don't think it has the obvious Flower Kings stamp on it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    This is heavier than anything by The Flower Kings. I don't think it has the obvious Flower Kings stamp on it at all.
    Yeah, but that’s it’s biggest problem for me. Heavier is not better.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Look at the line-up. Anything but straight forward comfort Prog would be a disappointment.
    Or an exciting sign that the affair might not be disappointingly predictable after all.

Not that I had much hope of anything fresh from this crew anyway... and from the later comments it seems that was the right call.

Doesn't sound like Flower Kings at all to me. Sounds like some neo-metal-prog thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    As someone who has basically memorized the entire TFK catalog, I can say it sounds different than that band. How much different? I think I mentioned somewhere above that it lacks the arrangements and contributions of Tomas Bodin who is a big part of the Flower Kings sound. It certainly has Roine and Jonas, two artists who are oddly similar in composition styles, but it's a lot heavier with metal thrown into the mix. Is it groundbreaking? No. It's comfort prog for those who like a Sympho/Neo/Metal-ish sound. It has its place.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    And it's only one song and may not well represent the entire album. But maybe someone here has heard the whole thing already?
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

This album will not re-invent the wheel. But I'm guessing it'll be awesome (no advance review copy for me, damn it.)
    Prog's Not Dead