Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Is that Pete Trewavas on bass instead of Jonas? Nice job learning the record for one gig. Casey in fine voice, and he has a better hat than that goofy one he keeps wearing with Flying Colors. Brislin is a very entertaining keyboard player to watch. Love the drum spotlight by Marco. My goodness he is as good as they come

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Is that Pete Trewavas on bass instead of Jonas? Nice job learning the record for one gig. Casey in fine voice, and he has a better hat than that goofy one he keeps wearing with Flying Colors. Brislin is a very entertaining keyboard player to watch. Love the drum spotlight by Marco. My goodness he is as good as they come
    Yep that's Pete - Jonas had a Steve Hackett gig in Italy so wasn't able to make this one. Casey handles the Daniel material pretty well (particularly the moodier pieces) but on songs like "Ashes of Dawn" seems to lack some of his power. But I think he was probably just learning some of this material himself. These aren't easy lyrics to memorize.

Yes I also thought Brislin and Marco were very entertaining live players.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Some footage turning up on YT for the Night of the Prog show

Here is good sampling (about 30 minutes)

Everyone else in the group is renowned in their respective bands or fields or whatever, its past time for a little or a lot of respect for Tom Brislin, what does the guy have to do to be respected. He is a monster on keys, go back and watch Chris Squire interact with him on Symphonic, Chris knows and so do many others. Lets give this guy the respect he deserves.

I know, lets put a band of great musicians together to form a band, it well sell a load for sure and the fans will love it. Oh wait, we forgot to write some good songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I know, lets put a band of great musicians together to form a band, it well sell a load for sure and the fans will love it. Oh wait, we forgot to write some good songs.
    Fortunately that's not the case here.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Well, the album charted in some places. Good for them.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Well, the album charted in some places. Good for them.
    Would you have any further details...?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the YT clip. I'm pretty excited to see them on CTTE next year. This keeps growing and growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    This keeps growing and growing on me.
    emm, you might want to have that checked out by a medical professional.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Would you have any further details...?

Henry
    There was posted on FB from Marco saying:
    Our The Sea Within album debuted in the UK Rock Charts at #7 and in the official German charts at #23. Didn’t see that coming at all I must admit, so that’s a very pleasant surprise. Thank you so much!

This also from Marco:
    I’m incredibly happy and proud of the success of our newly formed band THE SEA WITHIN! We just played our debut performance, prime time in the evening at the sold out Loreley fest in front of around I guess 4500 people. On top of it, our album charted in some countries in the top 10 and top 30. This all came as a total surprise really and exceeded any of my expectations. So thank you all for giving us such a warm and welcoming start of our ‘new born’. A tour is in the making..... and more posts to come soon.

Our The Sea Within album debuted in the UK Rock Charts at #7 and in the official German charts at #23. Didn’t see that coming at all I must admit, so that’s a very pleasant surprise. Thank you so much!

This also from Marco:
    I’m incredibly happy and proud of the success of our newly formed band THE SEA WITHIN! We just played our debut performance, prime time in the evening at the sold out Loreley fest in front of around I guess 4500 people. On top of it, our album charted in some countries in the top 10 and top 30. This all came as a total surprise really and exceeded any of my expectations. So thank you all for giving us such a warm and welcoming start of our ‘new born’. A tour is in the making..... and more posts to come soon.
    Thank you! Those are the exact quotes I was looking for.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

This also from Marco:
    Thanks.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    emm, you might want to have that checked out by a medical professional.
    I don't know - they might want me to stop listening.

I just bought a turntable and listened to a bit of the vinyl version of this album. I'm not going to make any claims that vinyl is superior or anything, it's just that it was mixed differently for the LP versus the CD. The drums and bass have more clarity and punch on the LP. I think I like this mix better than the CD.

Jon Neudorf
    It is a superb album. Will have a review posted on seaoftranquility soon

Jon

listened to it on the same system using cd as well as viny?
    I've found, that the mix of the album sounds great when using a pair of quality headphones. very precise drum compression with a subtle reverb making for a very natural sound. The bass seems punchy on some songs but drags on others imo. This comments concern my CD Ripp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappyesque View Post
    listened to it on the same system using cd as well as viny?
    I've found, that the mix of the album sounds great when using a pair of quality headphones. very precise drum compression with a subtle reverb making for a very natural sound. The bass seems punchy on some songs but drags on others imo. This comments concern my CD Ripp.
    Yes, listening through the same system. But really it's not the CD I'm hearing but an AAC rip of the CD. The LP is from a USB turntable connected to the same system. Maybe sometime over the next few days I can upload a few clips for comparison somewhere.

I tried to listen to the album 3-4 times as it came out. Didn't do much for me. I was hoping that listening to the album in its entirety on the NOTP festival in Loreley would help me dig it, but no, the band seemed underehearsed and Casey didn't do a good signing job. He impressed me much more with his solo performance on the following day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    I tried to listen to the album 3-4 times as it came out. Didn't do much for me. I was hoping that listening to the album in its entirety on the NOTP festival in Loreley would help me dig it, but no, the band seemed underehearsed and Casey didn't do a good signing job. He impressed me much more with his solo performance on the following day.
    Although it was recorded poorly(audio), I thought the same thing about Casey's vocals on the above Lorely Festival video.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Jon Neudorf
    I blasted the album in the car on the way back from a road trip. It's been speaking to me the more I play it.

Jon

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I blasted the album in the car on the way back from a road trip. It's been speaking to me the more I play it.

Jon
    I want whatever drugs you are on! j/k

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post

Jon
    Is it saying "You are getting sleepy..."?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Although it was recorded poorly(audio), I thought the same thing about Casey's vocals on the above Lorely Festival video.
    Agree. He seemed to be holding back in spots maybe unfamiliar with the material or the style. Also seemed mixed low. I wonder if they should consider having Roine sing a few songs or parts of songs to give it a more diverse feel. Or having a second live singer - thinking of names from TFK universe they could call on - maybe Göran Edman. He can sing pretty much anything and with power.

But again this was just a first show that was already odd in that Jonas was absent and they probably didn't have a lot of time together to rehearse. So all in all what I could hear from the clips sounded good and promising for this band for the future - I sure wish I could have been there.

Sounds like Loverboy
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Sounds like Loverboy
    That good?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection