Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Roine Stolt Launches New Supergroup The Sea Within

Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold, Daniel Gildenlöw, Marco Minnemann and Tom Brislin:

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-12-07/...the-sea-within

Wow! While I eagerly look forward to anything Roine touches, this seems like quite a blow to the Flower Kings and any prospects there. I mean, why create music with these guys instead of those guys? Makes me think there must be a serious rift between Roine and Tomas. I hope not

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As I recall, Tomas was going to help out on keyboards for Moon Safari, but now is having renewed trouble with Tinnitus, so had to pull out of that. So that may be the reason for this, it could be a one off.

That's an excellent line-up and I look forward to hearing what music they release.
    All "super groups" need the right material and the proof of the pudding will be in the songs, music and ideas they offer us.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    That's an excellent line-up and I look forward to hearing what music they release.
    All "super groups" need the right material and the proof of the pudding will be in the songs, music and ideas they offer us.
    +1
    Agree!!

You had me at "Daniel Gildenlow".
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Jonas+Marco = could be quite good.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Super group. Hope they can come to the US
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Thoughts:

1. With DG in tow I fear Roine won't be singing much on this - same complaint I had with Invention Of Knowledge. Not enough Roine!!!

2. Bodin's ear issues might be pretty serious. Good thing Brislin is on board. He's great!

3. That rhythm section could be epic.

4. The name is terrible (but let's be honest here: The Flower Kings is pretty awful too.)

5. Sounds like they're downplaying the Prog aspect of the music. Why? Look at the line-up. Anything but straight forward comfort Prog would be a disappointment.

6. Recording in London could be a smart decision. Or not.

7. Whatever. It's an auto-buy.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    7. Whatever. It's an auto-buy.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    This.
    As with me!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    You had me at "Daniel Gildenlow".
    I much prefer Roine's vocals but there you have it.

I'd like to hear a few samples before jumping in.

Just my opinion, but I never felt DG added much at all to TFK either live or in the studio. I agree with pretty much all your points though, miamiscot

Wow - very exciting news. Roine has been occasionally dropping hints about a new "All-Star" project but wasn't revealing anything. A month or so ago he posted a studio picture but it didn't show anyone else and he commented that he was enjoying recording with "old friends and new". Now we know.

Thoughts:

- I like the name (But I like Flower Kings as well)

- Very happy to see Stolt / Gildenlow working together again. Adam & Eve was something of a missed opportunity in my mind, although Daniel sang quite a bit he didn't contribute to the writing or any guitar. I had hoped he would add more on the next album but it wasn't to be. This promises to be a more collaborative effort - I think they have been working on the writing for most of the year.

- Stolt always works with Jonas so no surprise, I'm less familiar with Minnemann but impressive resume for sure. Brislin of course is incredible - but yes it makes one worry that Bodin's health/hearing issue may be serious. You would think Roine would call on Lalle instead but maybe wanted to change it up a little. What a group of musicians

- This could mean Anderson / Stolt 2 is delayed. Perhaps Jon's commitments with Yes are taking too much time or is instead focusing on new Yes album with Rabin. Unknown but it seems like A/S 2 is probably pushed back a year. Re-release of remixed IoK we were promised in 2017 still hasn't taken place either so maybe that will be 2018 and new album in 2019.

Stolt is one to never rest on his laurels for sure. The guy loves to create music and play live. I'm really looking forward to this!

This definitely has the potential to be very collaborative. Every person in the band writes their own music too.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I never felt DG added much at all to TFK either live or in the studio. I agree with pretty much all your points though, miamiscot
    I thought the 3 part harmonies they were able to pull off with Stolt, Fröberg and DG really added to their live shows. On Meet the Flower Kings I liked how they were able to alternate vocals. I think it worked best on a song like Humanizzimo where in 'Only Human', Roine sang the "Walking tall, I'm coming your way" section and then Daniel would sing the reply "Even if the Raven fly, women weep and children cry"

On Adam & Eve they more just gave Daniel his own songs to sing but they did alternate vocals to good effect on Driver's Seat. And I think he added a lot to Devil's Playground.

Definitely a mouth watering association of talents.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    "Even if the Raven fly, women weep and children cry" .
    A perfect example of what bothers me with Stolt's lyrics : even after all those years of writing in English, he still doesn't seem to be able to conjugate a verb properly.

Prog by numbers to the max!?

Yikes. That's almost too much talent in one group. But anything that gets Tom Brislin into a prog-oriented recording project is worth paying attention to IMO.

I agree that DG was a bit like a third wheel in TFK. I'm assuming he'll have prime front man duties here with Roine on backup (Roine is probably already busy coordinating, producing, engineering, etc.)

Probably the most encouraging news to me is that they're actually recording together in the same studio. What a concept.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Daniel Gildenlow is the only one I'm less familiar with. Saw him on one of the tours, but he was pretty much in the background. The rest of the band I know are monsters of talent. I also like the name.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Cool beans! Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    But anything that gets Tom Brislin into a prog-oriented recording project is worth paying attention to IMO.
    This is where I'm at. Looks like an impressive lineup, though I'm not the biggest Gildenlow fan.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    A perfect example of what bothers me with Stolt's lyrics : even after all those years of writing in English, he still doesn't seem to be able to conjugate a verb properly.
    Yeah, I don't understand why he can't have someone proofread the lyrics at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I agree that DG was a bit like a third wheel in TFK. I'm assuming he'll have prime front man duties here with Roine on backup
    Huh, that's not what I assumed. But given they're both pretty strong personalities, they must be working that out somehow. If they don't, watch out!

Awesome news! Really glad to see Tom Brislin onboard for this too. And that rhythm section, man...

Hmm... Not too sure about this. Im gonna wait until there are a couple of live dvds, some kickstarters and boxsets from the first gig.