Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrumental prog/prog-metal/math rock

Instrumental prog/prog-metal/math rock

After a long time of being only interested in vocal music, I have recently started listening to a lot of instrumental music again.
    Part of the reason, is the plan of starting a new recording project... especially one that I don't have to write lyrics for!

I really like Scale the Summit and Chon. And that is close to the feel I'm looking for.
    Kinda on the fence about Animals as Leaders.
    And I have a lot of the older stuff like Don Caballero, Happy Family, Exuvious, etc.

So please add videos of some suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by The Czar; 12-07-2017 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Typing error

if it is a requirement that it have some Metal elements, then this is one of my recent favs...

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't want to highjack this thread in any way but I think its worth pointing out that there are quite a few "hidden" instrumental albums out there that might be of interest to the OP.

A number of the "bigger name" artists in particular who are in a position to release deluxe multi-disc versions of their studio work have included instrumental versions of their music on their bonus discs.

Some examples being:

Dream Theater's Black Clouds and Silver Linings
    Steven Wilson - The Raven...; Hand.Cannot.Erase & To The Bone

There may well be listeners out there who would prefer the instrumental versions to the "originals"!

Behold the Arctopus
    The Kickass
    Ex Eye

Just a few off the top of my head
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

One of the most extreme tracks Orthrelm recorded:

Plus lamented French duo phenom Cheval de Frise - drums/cymbals and mikedup acoustic nylon-stringer;
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

7 for 4
    Avant Garden
    Cosmosquad
    Liquid Tension Experiment
    The Bakerton Group

So many more to choose..
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

^ If one is into this "alien" style of radical rock, Sajjanu are definitely one of the most amazing units around. They actually compose by equations from codemaps.

More:

And the legendary:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ If one is into this "alien" style of radical rock, Sajjanu are definitely one of the most amazing units around. They actually compose by equations from codemaps.
    This is interesting; can you point me to any more detail? I can think of a lot of different things this might mean, but they are all wrong, as a quick listen to the music proves. It is moving through a lot of changes at a large scale, but each individual bit sounds very human. I would have expected emergent compositions to sound more counterintuitive, or unplayable.

Anyway, very worthwhile music, thanks for the pointer.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

As usual I will promote the Dutch band Anomaly, which lived far to short.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Thanks for the info! Here are some of my thoughts...

I like the Nova Collective...and even more so, the other songs on that album. I had never heard of them before.

I will have to listen to my Dream Theater instrumental version of that album. Although I have always thought it was kind of disrespecting the vocalist when a band does that.

The Ocean had an album that was supposed to be instrumental, but their singers health problem (the reason they were doing it instrumental) got better and they released it with vocals, but they were added after he original instrumental version!

Bands like Behold the Arctopus all remind me of Gorguts, who I like, but don't want that style in my instrumental music.

Ni vs Toma is a little too start and stop...kinda like Messhugga (who I don't care for)

I couldn't find any The Kickass.
    And a lot of these are too noisey and disjointed for my tastes.

I really like the following two videos ...

I really love this first song...

and this is so fun...
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Will be checking this stuff out, certainly in my wheelhouse.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Mammoth is good

(avant-prog / math rock) Concentric
    (math rock / prog rock) Yawn Hic - Ион Хикса/2015
    (prog rock / math rock) The Illustrative Violet
    (avant-prog / math rock / heavy prog) Lagitagida
    (math rock / Post rock / prog rock) Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving
    (RIO / avant-prog / math rock) Brian! - Brian! I/2013
    (avant-prog / math rock / jazz fusion) fresh! · What Are You Doing In This Confusion?! · 2012
    (prog-metal / math Metal) VOLA
    (math / Experimental / avant-prog) XhohX - Karyotypexplosion/2007
    (avant-prog / math metal) Serious Beak - Huxwhukw/2011
    (math rock / prog rock) Antarctic — Antarctic/2009
    (avant-prog / math rock / Alternative rock) Capillary Action
    (prog rock / math rock) Oxytocin - Love It/2004
    (math rock / avant-prog / experimental rock) Gravitsapa
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Draw Me A Sheep - Premier Pas

i.ain't.dead.irock

Mammoth is exactly what I am looking for!

Well this is certainly an interesting thread. Gotta spend some time with these samples...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

These guys are pretty good too!

" My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

+1 on Many Arms. They're a local band for me so I've seen them a few times. I think they're probably right there with what the OP wants. Plus all of them are really cool guys, especially guitarist Nick Millevoi - he's done quite a few projects that might also be of interest too (a collab with Dead Neanderthals) although some of his work is really on the avant-garde side of things. Also, bassist Johnny DeBlase is in Zevious, although they fall more into the jazz/zeuhl side of things.

Another band that I really enjoy is Zebulon Pike. One of the guitarists (the one who looks like Walter White) is quite the jazzer and is in a few projects with The Bad Plus' Dave King.

Here's a great example of Zebulon Pike in action:

I will check out Many Arms.

It's funny that you added Zebulon Pike, because I live in Minnesota and I totally forgot about them. Eric used to work for Cheapo when I did, and we used to talk about Metal all the time. I doubt he would remember me from 20 years ago though

Protest The Hero