Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Johnny Halliday - France under shock

Now I know why I rarely open threads : whenever I manage to get an answer, it's usually BS for the first page.
    Thanks to Steve and Martin/Alucard, we're +/- back to seriousness, though still not much on-topic

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    What's interesting, that he started as a youth idol, became a popular rock singer and also played as an actor for Jean Luc Godard and others. A bit like Yves Montand at his time who had become and icon at his own lifetime.
    Interesting comparison, as there were a few french-singing singers that played in movies
    But Montand was a huge actor, and at one point later in his life, he was only an actor. Singer Patrick Bruel is also a very credible actor as well. Jacques Dutronc was OK in movies as well. Eddy Mitchel (Halliday's rival and good buddy/friend) is as good an actor as he was a singer .
    However, Johnny never was a good actor and only was good playing his own role in movies such as including the hilarious Rock'n Roll with Guillaume Canet or in Lellouch's "Salaud, On T'aime". altogether Johnny played in 30 movies, including a couple for Jean-Luc Goddard (where he met & married actress Natalie Baye and had a kid with her)

This was not a one-way lane, as a lot of actors also try to have a recording career as wll. A very permeable frontier, it seems

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'm not a Francophobe but there ARE several examples of artists who are "popular in France" and nowhere else. Not sure what that means... if anything.
    Generally, if they're "big in France", that also means in Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Canada (Quebec anyways) and having some resonnance in Africa.

Belgo-Italian Salvatore Adamo is huge in Japan (Johnny is only big there ), and considered like a semi-god. Both had recorded a few of their "hits" in Japanese too.

Françoise Hardy was almost bigger in the UK than she was in France, FTM

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    The French also inflicted Claude François upon us. In fairness to him, this must be the worst thing he ever did, but it is progressive (and seasonal). He started to make inroads in the UK, in the mid-seventies, with his jaunty pop songs, but was killed in an accident. He was described in our press as the French Elvis at the time.
    Cloclo is on a different scale and he died early (as did Joe Dassin) electrocuted in his bath: something electric fell in his tub. His death helped shaping the electric safety rules. He was not a rocker at all, catering only to women's tastes and was often ridiculed by males... However he also spawned a fair amount of look-alikes. You could view the Cloclo phenomenon as more of an ABBA thing, as both were in sorts "very disco"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Hallyday sold 110 million records worldwide, thus making him one of the biggest selling artists of all time. Yeah, I know such statistics carry little currency here, but to some, that actually means something.
    You wouldn't believe how his Japan or Philippine-pressed singles go for in conventions. Probably as much as Philippine-pressed singles Beatles singles, if not more.
    In a lot of French record convention, you'll have at least one dude dealing almost nothing but Halliday stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Il ne regrette rien.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hopefully you guys will be be able to hear these covers (Lake, Animals & Hey Joe)

He also played and sang with Waylong Jennings, Emmilou Harris, Carl Perkins, Don Everly , Tony Joe White, Stray Cats and a few more
    Last edited by Trane; 12-08-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I'm not a Francophobe but there ARE several examples of artists who are "popular in France" and nowhere else. Not sure what that means... if anything.
    Fwiw, JH was very popular in my country Greece and his passing got a lot of coverage here. I think this applies for other countries in Europe too.

He spent some time in USA
    Wiki:
    "Hallyday, who resided in Los Angeles, owned a chalet in Gstaad, Switzerland from 2006 to 2015 to avoid the high tax rate imposed by the French government.[12][32] Hallyday said that he would have moved his residency back to France if it changed its tax laws.[33] In January 2014, Hallyday said that his current residence was in the United States after an investigation by Swiss journalist showed that Hallyday did not spend enough time in Gstaad to qualify as a resident.[34] One of his favorite leisure activities was riding his Harley-Davidson on long trips through the California desert, staying in small motels along the way.[35]"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    He spent some time in USA
    Wiki:
    "Hallyday, who resided in Los Angeles, owned a chalet in Gstaad, Switzerland from 2006 to 2015 to avoid the high tax rate imposed by the French government.[12][32] Hallyday said that he would have moved his residency back to France if it changed its tax laws.[33] In January 2014, Hallyday said that his current residence was in the United States after an investigation by Swiss journalist showed that Hallyday did not spend enough time in Gstaad to qualify as a resident.[34] One of his favorite leisure activities was riding his Harley-Davidson on long trips through the California desert, staying in small motels along the way.[35]"
    And few people would recognize Hallyday in the USA, so he could live a calm and normal life here, if that's what he wanted. I had only vaguely heard of him. Is he the guy referred to as "the French Elvis"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Fwiw, JH was very popular in my country Greece and his passing got a lot of coverage here. I think this applies for other countries in Europe too.
    I don't think he was very popular (anymore) here in Finland, but he was well known (even by me) and his death was covered in the media.

While these days we tend to equate "pop(ular) music" with Anglo-American forms (whether actually sung in English or not), French "popular" music wielded quite a big influence in the pre-beat-era (rather than just pre-rock'n'roll) continental Europe. Many French stars were popular across the borders and a lot of the international hits came from the Francophone world. Hallyday, as an early co-opter of rock'n'roll image, emerged during this era and probably became all the more widely known because of it. He was still basking from a lot of residual glory from his early success, in this country at least.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The French also inflicted Claude François upon us. In fairness to him, this must be the worst thing he ever did, but it is progressive (and seasonal). He started to make inroads in the UK, in the mid-seventies, with his jaunty pop songs, but was killed in an accident. He was described in our press as the French Elvis at the time.

Holy crap! I have this feeling like they didn't go quite as far with that as they should have. Along with the crazily high voice and marionette-like movements, he should have been wearing clown makeup or something.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just read this article about CloClo (Claude François). Crazy!:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...lb-793985.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I don't think he was very popular (anymore) here in Finland, but he was well known (even by me) and his death was covered in the media.

While these days we tend to equate "pop(ular) music" with Anglo-American forms (whether actually sung in English or not), French "popular" music wielded quite a big influence in the pre-beat-era (rather than just pre-rock'n'roll) continental Europe. Many French stars were popular across the borders and a lot of the international hits came from the Francophone world. Hallyday, as an early co-opter of rock'n'roll image, emerged during this era and probably became all the more widely known because of it. He was still basking from a lot of residual glory from his early success, in this country at least.
    Well, I would very much use the same words you used to describe his impact on my country. And yes, up until the 90's France had a lot of cultural influence here, whereas nowadays everything is fully Americanized, which is a global phenomenon I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

This was not a one-way lane, as a lot of actors also try to have a recording career as wll. A very permeable frontier, it seems
    I had the understanding that the blurred lines between acting and singing was common place in Europe and Asia. I don't remember why I was talking to someone, once, about David Hassellhoff, but somehow we were and this guy made a comment to the effect taht he couldn't understand where Hasselhoff's singing career came from. I had read an article that said it was due to the success of Knight Rider in Germany, so when the show ended, he went over there to make records, and had several hits during the 80's (he also apparently once performed on the remains of Berlin Wall, right after it was torn down). I also read that it was his success as a singer in Europe that saved Baywatch, after it was cancelled by NBC, as that kept the show afloat as it went into syndication Stateside.

Anywya, so this guy I'm talking to says, "Yeah, in the rest of the world, that's very common, singers doing movies, actors making records". Of course, Stateside, this was common, during the "movie musical" era, but from the 60's onward, not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    And few people would recognize Hallyday in the USA, so he could live a calm and normal life here, if that's what he wanted.
    I saw a thing on TV years ago about a Japanese singer, who is apaprentlyu really huge in his homeland. He had at th etime recently moved to NYC. He was asked inthis piece if he intended to "break into" the US market, and he said no, because he liked being able to go out in public and not deal with a mob or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Well, I would very much use the same words you used to describe his impact on my country. And yes, up until the 90's France had a lot of cultural influence here, whereas nowadays everything is fully Americanized, which is a global phenomenon I think.
    Speaking as one American, I deeply apologize for Americanization. One does not need a McDonald's, Burger King, or KFC on every street corner in the world. And overseas televsision doesn't need to be hijacked by American programs either.

Speaking as one American, I deeply apologize for Americanization. One does not need a McDonald's, Burger King, or KFC on every street corner in the world. And overseas televsision doesn't need to be hijacked by American programs either.
    You do not need to apologise. I take your point about the fast food places and TV, but we are free not to use them. However, according to Bill Bryson's book on the 'common language' it has been two-way traffic. Also, we will forever be grateful for rock 'n' roll, because no Elvis Presley, probably no Beatles.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

However, according to Bill Bryson's book on the 'common language' it has been two-way traffic.
    See: anime, martial-arts films, iced coffee, boba tea, ABBA, etc.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Outside the important look-alikes thing, comparing Johnny to Elvis is applicable only for the 50's part of The Pelvis, but Hallidays remained a rocker and never became the bloated Las Vegas star Presley turned into. One of the thing Johnny became glorified for is that he somehow remained true to his original RnR rebel stance, even if the "rebel" part was somehow BS. In other words, one word for him would be "survivor", because he traversed decades (five of them) without any major slump...
    He was ridiculized by the elistists, but his following was always important enough that the least of his album release made headline news in cultural pages.

I had the understanding that the blurred lines between acting and singing was common place in Europe and Asia.

look at David Bowie... Or Pelvis, FTM.

don't apologize, please !! (act and force them to withdraw )

Actually Johnny and his best rival/buddy Eddy Mitchell are both obsessed with americana and this has been the main topics of their song lyrics... They've of course driven thousands of Europeans to want to drive down route 66 with a Harley Davidson. For those guys, accomplishing this dream means that they can die afterwards, because they've fullfilled their ultimate dream fantasy. Both Johnny and Eddy often adopted a semi-country-rock sound and cowboy image in their music.

Tomorrow there will be a big hommage to him on the Champs Ellyses in Paris.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Several decades back after reading that the Jimi Hendrix Experience first performance (1966) was as an opener for Hallyday i checked out a few recordings. He seemed pretty much to follow trails (several of em') created by others. His recording career choices looked to be guided by marketing attempts to cash in on trends. He started appearing in films as a teen and he obviously got really big in France, his Hey Joe single came out in 67', I'm guessing shortly after hearing the Hendrix version so the guy can't be all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Tomorrow there will be a big hommage to him on the Champs Ellyses in Paris.
    A million people turned out. Wow.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...mmanuel-macron

You do not need to apologise. I take your point about the fast food places and TV, but we are free not to use them. However, according to Bill Bryson's book on the 'common language' it has been two-way traffic. Also, we will forever be grateful for rock 'n' roll, because no Elvis Presley, probably no Beatles.

You make a good point chooosing to not eat fast food or watch our stupid American TV programs that get exported everywhere. But it's still pushing aside certain elements of the local culture. Young people are trying to dress like American kids (who keep finding new ways to look stupid), you've got new buildings being built that make you feel like you're in the middle of Illinois rather than in France or Holland, and at least in some limited cases, you've even got graffiti (I saw some while riding the train from Amsterdam to Paris).

As for rock n roll, well, hey, somebody had to do something. I mean, Lawrence Welk, Vera Lynn, and Jacques Brel weren't exactly making it, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    See: anime, martial-arts films, iced coffee, boba tea, ABBA, etc.
    Don't forget Volkswagen, Monty Python, and Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Several decades back after reading that the Jimi Hendrix Experience first performance (1966) was as an opener for Hallyday i checked out a few recordings. He seemed pretty much to follow trails (several of em') created by others. His recording career choices looked to be guided by marketing attempts to cash in on trends. He started appearing in films as a teen and he obviously got really big in France, his Hey Joe single came out in 67', I'm guessing shortly after hearing the Hendrix version so the guy can't be all bad.
    Halliday was anything but a groundbreaker, though, though he was one of the first in France.

The guy never composed a song (he had major writers do it for him) and he didn't come up with may texts/lyrics either

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yeah, state funeral... Not too keen on this, but it's not my taxes paid... the dude will be buried in one of those tropical tax haven island (St Barthelemy), that got sort of wiped out by a hurricane a few months ago.

But the last time there were so many people ligned up for funeral in Paris was for Victor Hugo, but that was over 100 years ago

You make a good point chooosing to not eat fast food or watch our stupid American TV programs that get exported everywhere. But it's still pushing aside certain elements of the local culture. Young people are trying to dress like American kids (who keep finding new ways to look stupid), you've got new buildings being built that make you feel like you're in the middle of Illinois rather than in France or Holland, and at least in some limited cases, you've even got graffiti (I saw some while riding the train from Amsterdam to Paris).
    Never stops to amaze me... Those hipster managed to do worse than the emo generation and the 00's kids with their ppants so low that the were showing their briefs during the 00's

However, not everything is bad in americana, but yes the monkey see monkey do still rules
    Last edited by Trane; 12-09-2017 at 06:25 PM.

The only French singer I'm familiar with is Maurice Chevalier.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    There are Spanish, Italian, German, etc etc etc superstars who have no following at all outside of their language base.
    You mean to say we never get to hear Peter Maffay or Lucio Battisti? Ah, that's true - the latter was the lyricist for pseudo-RPIs Formula 3!

Thankfully, Julio Iglesias knew his way around translations into English, so that they too got to understand his important message. 'Cause it was never about the nature of "appearance", but of the contents of the lyrics.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Those hipster managed to do worse than the emo generation and the 00's kids with their ppants so low that the were showing their briefs during the 00's
    Take it easy, or those hipster might cum with ppants so low them too!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Don't forget Volkswagen, Monty Python, and Godzilla.
    Fellini, Hello Kitty, Marimekko...
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Fellini, Hello Kitty, Marimekko...
    Jean-Luc Goddard, Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, The Smurfs (!), Tin-Tin (the English translation is where Thompson Twins got their name from), Power Rangers, Werner Herzog, Nena, Seasons In The Sun (originally a Jacques Brel song), Sukiyaki (the song, not the food item), the Macarena...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Waylong Jennings
    Is this a typo?