Thread: Kletka Red Hybrid (jerky fractured piercing avant goodness )

Kletka Red Hybrid (jerky fractured piercing avant goodness )

Hot on the heals of the Ne Zhdali thread comes this gem of an album
    I
    Kletka Red is a multi international band originally conceived by Leonid Soybelman ( Ne Zhdali), one of my favorite musicians and guitarist. Kletka Red also includes Andy Moor (The Ex) on guitar,Tony Buck (The Necks,Peril etc.) on drums and newcomer Joe Williamson on bass. They play a unique mixture of a jerky fractured hybrid of hard piercing punk rock improvised noise with all sorts of of East European traditional music (Klezmer,Rembetika,Russian folk etc.) plus a dose of dissonant avant flavors to top it.
    In 2000 Kletka Red released Hybrid the follow up to the Highjack debut cd released on John Zorn's Tzadik a few years back.
    The playing on this recording is extremely live and energetic and give the listener the impression of spontaneity despite the intricate nature of the interplay involved.
    The combination of Soybelman and Moor's guitars is impressive often coming up with explosive passages and telepathic like synchronization .Buck shows completely different side of his usual playing with The Necks and proves how much of a versatile player he is and Williamson blends naturally with him.
    Most of the pieces have Leonid Soybelman's typical charming Russian Yiddish and his own invented vocals and texts that often add a sense of humor and authenticity .
    There is a nice balance between those hard rocking bracing pieces and the more gentle poetic "acoustic" songs (mostly the rembetica inspired ones) giving the album depth and variety
    Why this essential piece of music failed to reach its potential audience is a mystery.There was a lot of care and work put into into this record (nice sleeve art and digipack).
    Sadly In recent years Leonid Soybelman has completely abandoned music and has no plans to return.

Very nice, thx Udi. Pardon, Merci is based in a very well known rembetiko in Greece, the rendition is just amazingly brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Very nice, thx Udi. Pardon, Merci is based in a very well known rembetiko in Greece, the rendition is just amazingly brilliant.
    The 1st clip is also rembetiko right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    The 1st clip is also rembetiko right ?
    Oh yes, also a famous one. This could be a hit here!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    More stuff new to me to explore, sweet.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Good call!
    Great musics and I share your enthusiasm for K.R. too!!.
    Extraordinary musicians IMO!.

Gracias Udi for the H.U.!!.
    Last edited by TCC; 12-05-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    More stuff new to me to explore, sweet.
    Ian for me this is really one of the very best of the new millennium avant progressive albums

I am renovating my appartment for half a year now so my CD collection is stashed in a room out of reach
    So reading about Ne Zhdali and Klekta Red are giving me a real tease... oh well, soon I hope.
    I was not aware of the other members of Klekta Red (I actually heard of the Ex and the Necks after I heard KR!) so now I want to listen to them again even more
    Ha, I now see that Soybelman collaborated with Auktyon, Eugene Chadbourne, Otomo Yoshida, etc etc...

Ian for me this is really one of the very best of the new millennium avant progressive albums
    Ordered
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I really wanted to be able to like this, but then I saw the word 'avant' in the heading! That really pigeonholed and ruined it for me, because once it's supposedly avant it can't be like other artists whom I like, like in hiphop, sympho and gay-disco and the likes.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's much less intimidating than the thread title suggests. Doesn't resonate with me, but that is probably down to my own unfamiliarity with the underlying rembetiko. Thanks for sharing the links.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I remember I downloaded this many years ago (with most of Ne Zhdali's discog). I recall liking it, but it's been years and that computer crashed.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Nice...added to my list...

First listen through, excellent stuff, really liking this and the Ne Zhdali, good stuff, thanks.
    Ian

First listen through, excellent stuff, really liking this and the Ne Zhdali, good stuff, thanks.
    Ian you found a copy? or download ?

Like it, especially the traditional rembetiko side.
    Btw I had the last weeks Maria Farantouri and Zülvü Livanelli ( Pläne 1978) on my playlist , great very melancholic record

https://youtu.be/Nu2p2cCp8cQ

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Ian you found a copy? or download ?
    Got it on discogs.
    Ian

Got it on discogs.

Let us know if you like it after listening

reviving this cause revisiting this was such a blast
    the dual guitars are just wow

Ill check this out. Missed this thread first time around. In a heavy zoned-out Vaughan Williams late night listen right now.