Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love for Amoeba Split? I cannot commend enough this band

Love for Amoeba Split? I cannot commend enough this band

Is everyone here aware of the Canterbury style jazz prog band Amoeba Split out of Spain? I'm sure some are. I just cannot express enough how great this band is. Their 2010 debut "Dance Of The Goodbyes" is so beautiful, and their follow up, "Second Split", in 2016 exceeded expectations. This is probably one of my "most excited about" newer bands of the last 10 years. Simply outstanding. I have both their albums on vinyl and I feel inspired with every spin. Excellent mastering done for the vinyl.

Highly recommend for all fans of the Canterbury style, as well as fusion fans, and really just any prog fan. You can check them out at https://amoebasplit.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    Is everyone here aware of the Canterbury style jazz prog band Amoeba Split out of Spain? I'm sure some are. I just cannot express enough how great this band is. Their 2010 debut "Dance Of The Goodbyes" is so beautiful, and their follow up, "Second Split", in 2016 exceeded expectations. This is probably one of my "most excited about" newer bands of the last 10 years. Simply outstanding. I have both their albums on vinyl and I feel inspired with every spin. Excellent mastering done for the vinyl.

Highly recommend for all fans of the Canterbury style, as well as fusion fans, and really just any prog fan. You can check them out at https://amoebasplit.bandcamp.com/
    I love Second Split, in fact I should dig it out for a fresh spin. I just could never warm to the female singer in Dance of the Goodbyes, and I wasn't so fond of her flute playing either, which I recall I frequently found a bit out of tune. But she's gone on Second Split, and I really dig that album.

Hope they're working on a new one.

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening on Bandcamp now. Sounds good, very Soft Machine and British Jazz.

Second Split is a great album!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Glad to see a few are aware of Amoeba Split. I think they are tremendous.

As for working on a new album, I do not believe that is happening right now. They just released "Second Split" on vinyl and they are still promoting that. I have been in contact with their bass player and he has pretty much said the same.

I have “Second Split” too: really like it!!
    One of my favorites combos from Spain!!.

It wad released by Azafran Media: record label of my good friend Juan Jose Salas who co founded the mexican Luna Negra records!.

Good Call!!
    Last edited by TCC; 12-05-2017 at 07:23 AM.

Damn. And I promised the wife just last night that I'd cut down on my online purchases!!!

I have to say that Dance of the Goodbyes is one of those rare cases where a vocal input comes close to ruining my act of listening to some otherwise very rewarding music. Not because of timbre, but simply due to her overall lack of anything even remotely resembling technique or basic tone control. She's so frequently out of tune and animated in her outbursts that it can hardly be separated from everything else that's going on in their sound. Granted I haven't heard the followup, so I might need to change that.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Holy cow, is the drummer really named Fernando Lamas??

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have to say that Dance of the Goodbyes is one of those rare cases where a vocal input comes close to ruining my act of listening to some otherwise very rewarding music. Not because of timbre, but simply due to her overall lack of anything even remotely resembling technique or basic tone control. She's so frequently out of tune and animated in her outbursts that it can hardly be separated from everything else that's going on in their sound.
    She also sings like she's reading the lyrics phonetically.

Fortunately the latest Cd "Second Split" ditches the female vocals. I agree: they are so distracting they ruined a large part of "Dance of the Goodbyes".

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Fortunately the latest Cd "Second Split" ditches the female vocals. I agree: they are so distracting they ruined a large part of "Dance of the Goodbyes".
    I'm listening on Bandcamp right now. Doesn't seem like they'd be all that difficult to splice out! What do you suppose was the deal with her anyway? Somebody's girlfriend?

Somebody needs to explain to them how to spell vinyl too.

I have both albums but rarely I play the debut. The second one is just great and I have it in constant rotation.

Third album was released today

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Third album was released today

Just ordered it!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Got mine last week and I've been spinning it quite a bit. It's nice. Nothing Earth shattering, but nothing annoying either. So far, I vastly prefer Second Split, which I spun right before I got this new one and was reminded how much I liked it. I'll keep listening to III and hope it grows on me, but I don't think it will ever much more than "OK" to me.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just ordered it!
    Smart move. Their BC page says that there are 56 / 500 CDs left, so I expect that it will sell out quickly

I thought that name was of a large record store in LA and SF?

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I thought that name was of a large record store in LA and SF?
    thats amoeba records

First listen to Second Split and I'm loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Smart move. Their BC page says that there are 56 / 500 CDs left, so I expect that it will sell out quickly
    FOMO mode ON!

Perhaps I'll give Second Split a go. Quiet Euphoria is really not my thing. I imagine that if you are into a certain era of Soft Machine that you'd dig it.

Neil

I always thought it was really neato that zoologists named amoebas after a record store.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Perhaps I'll give Second Split a go. Quiet Euphoria is really not my thing. I imagine that if you are into a certain era of Soft Machine that you'd dig it.

Neil
    I've only heard the new album one time so far, but I think that Second Split is really good. I'd recommend it even if Quiet Euphoria didn't connect with you.

I ordered both the new one and Second Split on vinyl anyway, because I'm a fool. I liked most of the new one, and it had a definite Soft Machine vibe in places. I'll need to spend more time with it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quiet Euphoria is sounding excellent to me! I really enjoy the soloing, on various instruments. The flute playing is a bit weak, as someone mentioned. Though there doesn't seem to be a lot of it. Overall, though, this is a good album.