Thread: John Zorn

John Zorn

John Zorn has released 5 albums in 2017. Is there one considered as Prog?
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

The Painted Bird - which is from 2016 - isn't too far off. it's a cross between metal, jazz, and composition.

Only 5?

Slowing down a bit I guess.

As an aside, Zorn's 'Book Of Angels' has finally concluded with volume 32.
    http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=8356

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    John Zorn has released 5 albums in 2017. Is there one considered as Prog?
    I only have three, Midsummer Moons, The Garden of Earthly Delights and The Interpretation Of Dreams, so are you including the two Book Of Angels volumes 31 and 32 in the five, or have I missed a couple? BTW, I would not consider Zorn as prog.

I think The Garden Of Earthly Delights is Prog. I mean talk about adventerous, one of my top albums for this year. Midsummer Moons is two guys playing acoustic guitar throughout and while a pleasant listen not Prog as far as I'm concerned.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The best way to approach Zorn I've found is to break his multitudes of releases into groups. For example, The Book Of Angels stuff is all one entity (separate from all the others). Moonchild Trio, his classical work, Naked City, and his soundtrack work would be others. For me this is the easiest way to parse his rather large and daunting discog.

For things released recently, the Simulacrum band (which released The Garden Of Earthly Delights this year) would definitely fall into the prog umbrella. And they keep churning out the material so you have much to explore by them if you like it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I only have three, Midsummer Moons, The Garden of Earthly Delights and The Interpretation Of Dreams, so are you including the two Book Of Angels volumes 31 and 32 in the five, or have I missed a couple? BTW, I would not consider Zorn as prog.
    I took the information from Wikipedia.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I'll avoid the debate whether or not Zorn or Secret Chiefs 3 are prog, but I'm happy to report that Secret Chiefs 3 recently completed an album playing selections from Zorn's Book of Beriah. It should be available in 2018 and I imagine will be quite pleasing to many people around these parts.

- Matt

Great news! Their various interpretations of Zorn material is my favorite works from the Chiefs.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I'll avoid the debate whether or not Zorn or Secret Chiefs 3 are prog, but I'm happy to report that Secret Chiefs 3 recently completed an album playing selections from Zorn's Book of Beriah. It should be available in 2018 and I imagine will be quite pleasing to many people around these parts.

- Matt
    Would you happen to know if this Book Of Beriah will continue like the Book Of Angels series?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

- Matt
    Thanks. I'll try to keep this on my radar.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Only 5?

Slowing down a bit I guess.

- Matt
    I see this available on Bandcamp: "A preview of "Malkhut", Secret Chiefs 3's contribution to John Zorn's new Masada Book III: Beri'ah (in eleven-volumes). The preview you hear here consists of very short excerpts of six of the twelve songs on the record."
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org