Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PinioL crowdfunding new album Bran Coucou

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You should have seen Poil run around the theatre in their bright red underwear at RIO before the show to announce to everyone that they were about to go on!
    Yes I really should have.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You should have seen Poil run around the theatre in their bright red underwear at RIO before the show to announce to everyone that they were about to go on!
    Love these guys even more now!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    They have to be one of the most unconventional bands I've heard in my life.
    And you kinda write that as if it's a sorta positive thang, like?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes I really should have.
    Honestly, unless you were napping, at the restaurant or blind, I cannot imagine how you could possibly have missed it!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I did see them run through but I was exhausted and needed something to eat.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So after listening to this album a few times, I can wholeheartedly say I like it, but I don't absolutely love it. At heart, Bran Coucou seems to be about disjunct, math-laden odd-time interplay riffs that bounce off each other in very clever ways (not quite far off from Discipline-era Crimson in style to be honest), but the compositions don't seem to develop all that much in some instances, especially over 9+ or 13+ minutes. The grooves themselves are totally sick, fun, musically adept....but are they full of enough musical and artistic substance and merit that will keep me coming back for more? I'm not so sure. Also, harmonically it seems to be quite static (and modal) and personally there is not enough "movement" there to keep me totally engaged.

I really hate to come off as negative because it is (of course) good music, and these guys are absolute masterful technicians who have accomplished what they have set out to do, but its possible that my head-space is drifting away from this type of music, or I'm getting a "been there, heard that" type of response from it, or the "claustrophobic" nature of the sonic landscape is affecting me? Maybe all of these things? The last PoiL album I LOVED. I found the compositions interesting, and the music itself had more breathing room with just three guys, and the music contained some genuine melodic and harmonic ideas that hooked me. I'm not getting that same reaction here however.

I hope my thoughts are not to be taken in any disrespectful manner towards the musicians if you are here, I am merely being honest with my thoughts, and its quite possible that I am off-base here in my assessment. Does anybody feel this way? Differently? Am I approaching this album in the wrong manner? Also, I hope that folks who haven't heard this album be your own judges, and you may absolutely love it, and that is totally nifty if you do!

All of this imo of course with the utmost respect towards the PinioL Clan
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I enjoyed it a lot, but I agree about the missing developing factor, but it hasn't bothered me.
    They get into the groove and somewhat stays there. A little more arranging and building up would make it even more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So after listening to this album a few times, I can wholeheartedly say I like it, but I don't absolutely love it. At heart, Bran Coucou seems to be about disjunct, math-laden odd-time interplay riffs that bounce off each other in very clever ways (not quite far off from Discipline-era Crimson in style to be honest), but the compositions don't seem to develop all that much in some instances, especially over 9+ or 13+ minutes. The grooves themselves are totally sick, fun, musically adept....but are they full of enough musical and artistic substance and merit that will keep me coming back for more? I'm not so sure. Also, harmonically it seems to be quite static (and modal) and personally there is not enough "movement" there to keep me totally engaged.

I really hate to come off as negative because it is (of course) good music, and these guys are absolute masterful technicians who have accomplished what they have set out to do, but its possible that my head-space is drifting away from this type of music, or I'm getting a "been there, heard that" type of response from it, or the "claustrophobic" nature of the sonic landscape is affecting me? Maybe all of these things? The last PoiL album I LOVED. I found the compositions interesting, and the music itself had more breathing room with just three guys, and the music contained some genuine melodic and harmonic ideas that hooked me. I'm not getting that same reaction here however.

I hope my thoughts are not to be taken in any disrespectful manner towards the musicians if you are here, I am merely being honest with my thoughts, and its quite possible that I am off-base here in my assessment. Does anybody feel this way? Differently? Am I approaching this album in the wrong manner? Also, I hope that folks who haven't heard this album be your own judges, and you may absolutely love it, and that is totally nifty if you do!

I agree with every little word you wrote. Just want to add that all this seems absolutely intentional to me. It's like a built-up machine that its purpose is to get you across in pieces, not a full person anymore.

Still think that with a Don Julio deluxe 5.1 remix it might sound like the complete truth finally revealed as music.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

I agree with all, also share the same sentiments regarding the last Poil album-
    However, I have to note that seeing Poil and Piniol in the same 24 hours- Piniol blows Poil out of the water when it comes to the live show (and Poil are fantastic live)
    I guess it is that claustrophobic feel of the album, the mass of unseperable sound as opposed to the live show in which you can see which instrument plays what, I guess the visual aspect helps differentiate between the different parts and interaction between the players.