Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Mason announced as new Genesis drummer for reunion with Gabriel

Nick Mason announced as new Genesis drummer for reunion with Gabriel

Well, no...not yet. This picture was posted from last night's book launch of Richard MacPhails' "My Book Of Genesis" in London.

:: Sorry ::
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Good one !

Good photo too..................

I actually looked at my calendar.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was caught then, hook line and sinker

Is that really Phil in the glasses? My gosh.....

At least they are in a room together. Can't recall the last time that has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I believe that is Richard McPhail.

At least they are in a room together. Can't recall the last time that has happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I believe that is Richard McPhail.
    That is photographer Robert Ellis.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Ok then, didn't think that was him, but that raises the question---Where's Phil?!

No Phil...Nick Mason on drums. That's the whole point here. Wait...no dual drumming? No Los Endos?

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    No Phil...Nick Mason on drums. That's the whole point here. Wait...no dual drumming? No Los Endos?
    yeah, I get that was the initial joke when you first clicked on the thread. Once we knew that was a lark, its a legit question if he's the only one not in the pic.

yeah, I get that was the initial joke when you first clicked on the thread. Once we knew that was a lark, its a legit question if he's the only one not in the pic.
    OK...good point. Maybe he's at the Alamo?

Well...the guy with the glasses is a great stunt double.

Phil is currently on a short live tour and was unable to attend.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Well...the guy with the glasses is a great stunt double.

For both Phil and Richard McPhail.....

Nick Mason ruined Phil Collins.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I actually looked at my calendar.
    Yeah me too... But the pic is good enough to forgive the joke. Fortunately I have been conditioned to never believe Genesis reunion thread headlines, no matter how credible the OP.

PS I would have never recognized Mason if his name had not been in the thread title. My first guess would have been Thurston Howell III.

Howell_III.jpg

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Mason can't hang with Phil

Ironically I stayed up late last night watching an interview from a few days ago in NYC on Front And Center with Nick by David Fricke of Rolling Stone on a local channel, WNYE.
    (Short clip only) https://m.youtube.com/watch? v=JgSgCnyozAM and then just finished one from the China Exchange channel that's about a month old. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V5veeGRB8
    Both, especially Fricke's, we're filled with incredible insight, on a very personal level from Nick, delving into more than I already thought to have known. Intimate details about Syd, Roger & David's relationship, his future, etc.

Anyway, I saw the picture posted just a few minutes after watching them and thought it was possible...actually brought tears to my eyes.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Phil is currently on a short live tour and was unable to attend.
    Is it definitive that Phil no longer plays drums due to the carpal tunnel issues?

Kinda surprised Anthony Phillips isn't there. He was certainly an important player from the era that the author is writing about.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    that's an understatement!

A nice part of this story is that all the folks in this pic get along. I mean, isn't that a great thing? Too many bands have too many members that hate each other. I've spoken with Steve, Tony, Mike & Ant many times over the years and no one has said a cross word about the others to me.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nick Mason ruined Phil Collins.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    that's an understatement!
    Phil ruined Phil
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

No Gilmour, no Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    A nice part of this story is that all the folks in this pic get along. I mean, isn't that a great thing? Too many bands have too many members that hate each other. I've spoken with Steve, Tony, Mike & Ant many times over the years and no one has said a cross word about the others to me.
    That Together And Apart documentary, which 'snubbed' Hackett's solo career, threw a spanner in the works a few years back- he was vocally unhappy about that. Am glad it caused no lasting problems. Indeed, relatively few rock bands have the lasting bond that most members of Genesis clearly do.

Yes, Collins is on tour at the moment, though was in the UK. Don't doubt he would have gone if he could as he's on good terms with everyone.