Thread: PBS showing Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed" concert

PBS showing Moody Blues' "Days of Future Passed" concert

It's on here in Austin starting tomorrow night, as part of the Great Performances series. It's two hours long, but since it's pledge drive time, there'll be lots of ten-minute pledge breaks interspersed throughout. Of course, the program guide mentions the hit "Knights (sic) in White Satin"...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    As in an old concert, or a newer one?

It's the tour for the 50th anniversary of the album. They played the whole thing, but who knows how much PBS will show. It's on this coming Sunday on my local PBS affiliate

There's also a Tommy Emmanuel concert on the following Wednesday

Thanks for the heads up on this. I hate the pledge drives but this will be worth checking out.

Excellent! Thanks a lot.

Ok, on Thirteen (NYC area I guess) it's on Dec 21 at 9pm, and Dec 23 at 2:00am

What's so special about Austin?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 11-27-2017 at 08:44 PM.

I'll be watching Wednesday night here. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    It's on here in Austin starting tomorrow night, as part of the Great Performances series. It's two hours long, but since it's pledge drive time, there'll be lots of ten-minute pledge breaks interspersed throughout. Of course, the program guide mentions the hit "Knights (sic) in White Satin"...
    what is maddening with these pledge drives is that if you're a regular donator, you still have top put up with them (or at least it was that way in the 70's, 80's & 90's).... maybe nowadays with modern TV, you can escape them

Not really interesting if a recent concert (IMHO, anyways)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    what is maddening with these pledge drives is that if you're a regular donator, you still have top put up with them (or at least it was that way in the 70's, 80's & 90's).
    Some U.S. public radio stations, anyway, now offer donors access to pledge-free streams online during pledge drives.

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    Some U.S. public radio stations, anyway, now offer donors access to pledge-free streams online during pledge drives.
    I find the pledge drives are SO disruptive and frequent that they keep me from donating. To have a whole week where you really just can't listen is too much. A pledge-drive-free stream is a good idea but wouldn't really help me in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I find the pledge drives are SO disruptive and frequent that they keep me from donating. To have a whole week where you really just can't listen is too much. A pledge-drive-free stream is a good idea but wouldn't really help me in the car.
    yeah, that kind of discouraged me to watch PBS at the time... Or I'd zap to other channels when it happened.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I hate the pledge drives but this will be worth checking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    what is maddening with these pledge drives is that if you're a regular donator, you still have top put up with them (or at least it was that way in the 70's, 80's & 90's).... maybe nowadays with modern TV, you can escape them
    This is why God invented the DVR, gents! Record the concert and fast-forward through the pledge interruptions.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is why God invented the DVR, gents! Record the concert and fast-forward through the pledge interruptions.
    YUP! I already have it set up! Thanks, soundsweird, I may have missed this!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Not only do I not own a DVR, I still use my VCR and VHS tapes! Also, I still use my Fisher stereo system that I bought in the 1980's. If that's not enough, I use my 1980 Hitachi CRT TV which still works great.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Not only do I not own a DVR, I still use my VCR and VHS tapes! Also, I still use my Fisher stereo system that I bought in the 1980's. If that's not enough, I use my 1980 Hitachi CRT TV which still works great.
    Be kind, Rewind!

I don't even know what a CVR is, FTM
    But I'm with you, though I do have a DVD/VCR corder, I'm still mainly on VHS, and my TV (15 yo) is still cathodic (not catholic, I'm an atheist) and I just got rid of my hertz antenna a couple years ago for the TNT version

Do you carry a beeper, too?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

In spite of the interruptions, I thought it was an excellent show. I haven't seen the Moodies live since the late 90's, when Ray Thomas was still with them. And although Ray is missed, the rest of the band and orchestra were terrific. Best of all is that, at age 71, Justin Hayward still has a great voice.

I really enjoyed the show. If ever there was an album reflecting the progress of an acid trip, DOFP would be the one.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."