Thread: Happy 75th Birthday Jimi Hendrix

Happy 75th Birthday Jimi Hendrix

Seems like he never left.

My personal favorite version of "Machine Gun."

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Seems like he never left.
    Except he seems to have stopped putting out new albums.

^^ I was referring to his influence.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ I was referring to his influence.
    I heard If 6 Was 9 on the radio this morning, the spoken word outro is still chilling as hell. Sounds like he never left alright.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I heard If 6 Was 9 on the radio this morning, the spoken word outro is still chilling as hell. Sounds like he never left alright.
    Yep, I was in a grocery store a few months ago and the 17-year-old girl at the register was wearing a Hendrix shirt.

One of a kind, unique guitarist and good songwriter. I love 'Burning of the Midnight Lamp", but strangely, the album version is recorded so low. While on many of his studio recordings sound is excellent.

I have a couple of films about Jimi Hendrix:
    • A Film About Jimi Hendrix (1973)
    • Classic Albums: Electric Ladyland (2005)
    • Voodoo Child (2010)

...and Monterey Pop (1968), Woodstock (1970), and Message To Love: The [1970] Isle of Wight Festival (1996). Anything else worth having???

^^ The footage in the Woodstock movie sucks. Get the full Hendrix performance that was released. It's essential. The Isle of Wight performance wasn't very sharp. Try to find the Berkley and Band of Gypsies videos.

Had he lived a few years longer, he could have gotten as good as Tommy Shaw.

One of my favorite Hendrix songs got seldom play but had a wicked guitar line...

Highway Chile....!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    One of my favorite Hendrix songs got seldom play but had a wicked guitar line..."Highway Chile"!
    +1 and "51st Anniversary," showing his R&B roots; and Mitchell is hip (as always).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

50 years ago today, Jimi released "Axis: Bold as Love."
    Last edited by ronmac; 12-01-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Only 40 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Only 40 years ago?
    oops.

Fixed.

Haste makes waste.

Jim Morrison's 74th birthday is this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Jim Morrison's 74th birthday is this Friday.
    Same day as Lennon's murder.

Another 'new' album on the way.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...9-2018.717548/

Is it just me who thinks that they used the best studio material very, very early on? In other words, what was on the first few posthumous albums. 40 odd years ago!

I genuinely would prefer they channelled their energies into more live material. Sort out the Royal Albert Hall mess and put out the first Berkeley show.

Looks like studio jams. I have some of this and a proper release of the Johnny Winter track alone will be worth it. I actually personally gave Johnny a copy of the full 20-minute session, which include Stills on bass.

I agree about the proper live material releases. They need to get the Albert Hall show out. Thank god for bootlegs!

^They'll probably hack it up for release. I didn't bother with either but I gather Valleys Of Neptune and People Hell And Angels were almost as controversial with fans as the infamous Alan Douglas releases. They are trying to mass-market material which really doesn't suit it.

Yeah, I wish they would focus in definitive live releases. His legacy was somewhat hampered in the 70s with a bunch of less-than stellar performances being released.

^Even in the 70s, the first official (the Albert Hall material came out on a different label) posthumous live release was Isle Of Wight. I can't handle that show, although 'In From The Storm' is a terrific performance, and the last song played!

The soundtrack to the film Jimi Hendrix was a pretty good live anthology- highlights from Monterey, Woodstock, Fillmore, Berkeley, IOW. I'm not sure it's been bettered. (No Albert Hall material but some was apparently on the original Hendrix In The West release, albeit misattributed. I would not like to speculate on whether that was deliberate or not!)

They used the best studio tracks on Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes, although I'm personally familiar with those songs on the 90s collections that Experience Hendrix put out.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-06-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Even in the 70s, the first official (the Albert Hall material came out on a different label) posthumous live release was Isle Of Wight. I can't handle that show, although 'In From The Storm' is a terrific performance, and the last song played!

The soundtrack to the film Jimi Hendrix was a pretty good live anthology- highlights from Monterey, Woodstock, Fillmore, Berkeley, IOW. I'm not sure it's been bettered. (No Albert Hall material but some was apparently on the original Hendrix In The West release, albeit misattributed. I would not like to speculate on whether that was deliberate or not!)

They used the best studio tracks on Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes, although I'm personally familiar with those songs on the 90s collections that Experience Hendrix put out.
    Totally agree on all counts.

I have those soundtrack albums of the RAH show.

Isle of Wight was not a sharp performance at all. There was also a live comp that Alan Douglas put out in the 80s (Concerts?) that included that KILLER "Stone Free" from the Albert Hall, albeit edited. That's not a bad set, but it's a live comp, not a whole show, and waaay over-produced.

There have been a lot of live releases, for sure, but still a good handful that should have been out by now. I have some of the early Dagger releases, which are cool. (I had the original boots for years.) Woodstock is one of the great ones. What a performance. I was never a huge fan of the Winterland shows from '68, which also could have been sharper for the most part.

Full details on the 'new album' here:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=104626

I don't like the cover! Looks like the same formula as the last two (which Kramer claimed then were 'the last'!).
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-11-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Looks like the same formula as the last two (which Kramer claimed then were 'the last'!)...
    I'll be getting this. And I'm sure I'll be getting the next batch of "new" stuff...and there will be a next batch. The Hendrix moneygoround is still far from out of steam.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx