Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Name double LPs, where the second disc is better than first.

Ummmm....

Lamb may be a very special album, but for Genesis, it's sort of a side trip. There's a clear and smooth trajectory from Trespass through Selling England, and it continues from Trick through ...aTTWT; but Lamb lies nowhere on that trajectory. It is an anomaly, almost completely unlike the rest of their "classic" work.

For me, the albums on either side of it are their "best."
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ummmm....

Lamb may be a very special album, but for Genesis, it's sort of a side trip. There's a clear and smooth trajectory from Trespass through Selling England, and it continues from Trick through ...aTTWT; but Lamb lies nowhere on that trajectory. It is an anomaly, almost completely unlike the rest of their "classic" work.

For me, the albums on either side of it are their "best."
    I am of the opinion that The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is the crown jewel in the Genesis discography but I can certainly understand what you're saying about its outlier status.
    The only album I rate higher than it is Tales From Topographic Oceans.
    Both discs are equally brilliant.
    The Prog Corner

The Lamb is Genesis' most modern work both musically and socially, the former less tied to 19th c. symphonism, the latter less concerned with Victoriana. I find a lack of songcraft in much of it, as though the music was developed apart from the lyrics, which I learned was, in fact, the case.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I actually like FGTR, but I should have qualified my statement as "worst of the PG prog era".
    If I had to save the PG prog era LPs from the flames, bar one, I'm afraid 'Nursery Cryme's going to melt.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    If I had to save the PG prog era LPs from the flames, bar one, I'm afraid 'Nursery Cryme's going to melt.
    I just pointed at the computer monitor and screamed "BLASPHEMER!" in my best John Cleese/Life Of Brian voice.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

i disagree about Lamb i like the first disc much more.

At Fillmore East - Allmans

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I actually like FGTR, but I should have qualified my statement as "worst of the PG prog era".
    With a few exceptions (“The Serpent,” for example) I don’t really like FGTR much, but I kind of agree that TLLDOB is the...well, the least good of the PG prog era. I like that they were trying something outside their comfort zone but, like so many double albums, it was gratuitously bloated and padded with filler. Also, Pete’s concept was stoned doggerel, and what did a bunch of upper-crusty private school Englishmen know about the NYC Latino street-punk experience anyway?

With that said, it’s way, way, way better than TFTO any day of the week. At least I can listen to it from start to finish without losing the will to live.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I just pointed at the computer monitor and screamed "BLASPHEMER!" in my best John Cleese/Life Of Brian voice.
    It's OK, I've still saved Genesis Live.

Quote Originally Posted by llanwydd View Post
    long time no reaed

But I'd say that for the sake of this thread, live albums are not concerned (though I agree that Whipping Post whips the rest of the album all by itself)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Good call. I agree.

Freak Out - the second half of the set is the freakier outer.

The only thing on the Fillmore album that I find tedious at all is the length of You Don't Love Me. I wish they would have trimmed some of the guitar parts in the second half, but that's minor in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The only thing on the Fillmore album that I find tedious at all is the length of You Don't Love Me. I wish they would have trimmed some of the guitar parts in the second half, but that's minor in itself.
    The Brothers did seem to have a problem ending songs. I still love it all, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (Jeremy Clarkson mode) Except that it's not. Selling England By The Pound is. (Jeremy Clarkson mode off)
    I will never tire of pointing out that he couldn't even get the lyrics right, even when talking about how he used to pore over the album's lyrics! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGGXPa5otgs#t=17m12s (at 17m 12s if the link doesn't work properly). Note how Kate Mossman correcting him goes over his head as well, the arrogant tit.

How about... Mike Oldfield - Incantations

It only gets better as Maddy Prior's awesome voice kicks in

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    How about... Mike Oldfield - Incantations

It only gets better as Maddy Prior's awesome voice kicks in
    Isn't that on Side 2, i.e. the first LP?

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Isn't that on Side 2, i.e. the first LP?
    Your absolutely correct, for some reason I got my sides mixed up and was always partial to Side 4 near the end where she finishes things out sounding like angels.
    Last edited by Shadowfax; 12-06-2017 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Too early and not enough coffee

How about Pentangle's Sweet Child?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Cream Wheels of Fire.
    Are there anybody that prefers disc 2?
    Besides Crossroads I find it a bit tedious.