Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name double LPs, where the second disc is better than first.

Name double LPs, where the second disc is better than first.

My picks - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Electric Ladyland. It is strictly subjective, of course, but that's why it can be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    My picks - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Electric Ladyland. It is strictly subjective, of course, but that's why it can be interesting.
    The Wall. I find "One of My Turns"/"Don't Leave Me Now" to be very unpleasant (he scares a groupie by being a psycho! he wants his wife back so he can beat her and humiliate her! hooray!) but the third and fourth sides are more compelling. I mean, I know he's supposed to be an unsympathetic protagonist but the misogyny in those two songs makes me want to take a shower.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Tales From Topographic Oceans
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Magma - Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2

I have a version of electric ladyland where the discs apparently are made for a jukebox, so the discs are sided 1-4, 2-3

Glass Hammer - The Inconsolable Secret
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

I have a version of electric ladyland where the discs apparently are made for a jukebox, so the discs are sided 1-4, 2-3
    That was done for DJs. I have several albums like that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've never been able to figure out which one actually is the second disc on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I've never been able to figure out which one actually is the second disc on this one.
    My perception: Its called volume 1&2 and 2 is Theusz Hamtaahk
    https://www.discogs.com/Christian-Va...elease/1220640

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That was done for DJs. I have several albums like that.
    Sound plausible, I had trouble imagining a jukebox with LP's.
    But it makes it diificult to chose a disc as 1 or 2.

Chicago III. The "Elegy" suite is one of their finest moments.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

My perception: Its called volume 1&2 and 2 is Theusz Hamtaahk
    https://www.discogs.com/Christian-Va...elease/1220640
    Fair enough. On the double CD Theusz Hamtaahk is on Disc 1, but then again, that's called "Retrospektďw" and not "Rétrospective".

Genesis Three Sides Live, U.S. version.

Easily.

No counter argument for the U.K version possibe.

My copies of Space Ritual and Frampton Comes Alive are like that. It was so you can stack them on those autochanger turntables, and be able to play the LP sides in consecutive order.

My old cassette copy of Electric Ladyland had the entire double album on one cassette, with sides two and three reversed. So after Voodoo Chile, the next song was Rainy Day Dream Away. I actually thought it really good in that format, having side one of the tape end with Moon Turn THe Tides Gently, Gently Away, and then side two starting with Little Miss Strange.

Likewise, my cassette copy of Made In Japan had sides two and four, I think, swapped, so that the album ended with Lazy, and Space Truckin' came "in the middle" of the show. I thought that worked rather well, as I thought Lazy made a good finale, as it were.

Tommy
    London Calling
    Works Vol. One
    The Prog Corner

Zappa - Roxy Music disc 2 - IF there is a DJ version with disc one as 1,4 and the other 2,3

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't remember Zappa being on For Your Pleasure.

Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I never listen to CD 1, only CD 2 with the title track.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't remember Zappa being on For Your Pleasure.
    Smart ass!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The Wall. I find "One of My Turns"/"Don't Leave Me Now" to be very unpleasant (he scares a groupie by being a psycho! he wants his wife back so he can beat her and humiliate her! hooray!) but the third and fourth sides are more compelling. I mean, I know he's supposed to be an unsympathetic protagonist but the misogyny in those two songs makes me want to take a shower.
    One Of My Turns, I think, is about how touring rock musicians during that era were often times driven to wreck their hotel rooms. It's not about the groupie so much as about the whole "throwing TV sets and furniture out a 10th floor window" phenomenon. Keith Moon was the most famous, but lots of bands had people who did stuff like that. It's also been suggested maybe it was an allusion to Roy Harper trashing his trailer at the 75 Knebworth Fest after he learned his stage clothes had been nicked.

As far as "unsympathetic protagonist" goes, I think Waters was trying to convey the idea that all the frelled up dren we're put through by "society" is what causes us to be that way. I guess.

At any rate, The Wall is a weird record. Much of the stronger material on the album is on side three (ie Hey You, Comfortably Numb, Nobody Home and the acoustic guitar section of Is There Anybody Out There). But it also has some of the weaker tracks on that album (namely the first section of Is There Anybody Out There, Vera, and Bring The BOys Back Home), doodles that don't really serve a purpose (not even a narrative one) except to pad out the album. And supposedly, they had trouble keeping the album down to just two LP's.

Side four is a bit stronger, musically, but it's so unremittingly dark and oppressive, it makes for a hard listen.

Magma- Live. The version with Kongtarkosz pt 2 and Mekanik Zain...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

What GuitarGeek said RE: automatic record changers. My original copy of Uncle Meat was like this, as well as Amon Düül II’s Dance of the Lemmings (U.S. release on United Artists, with “neon” style lettering for the band name).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quadrophenia. Freak Out! Third (Soft Machine). Maybe Blonde on Blonde. Maybe Uncle Meat.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I never listen to CD 1, only CD 2 with the title track.
    The first thing that came to mind for me! I like disc 1, but the title track (along with A Change of Seasons, imho) are the best pieces that they've ever written.

I'd also say IQ's Subterranea, The Neal Morse Band's The Similitude of a Dream, and Marillion's Marbles. (Just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Can't think of many but Van Morrison's Hymns To The Silence, maybe (although there's a few great tracks on the first disc like 'I'm Not Feeling It Anymore' and 'Take Me Back'). I did read somewhere that this was planned to be two separate albums but it got bundled together. It actually would have been better at one CD length (74 minutes or whatever it was then), whilst remaining a double record.

Almost forgot:

Neal Morse Testimony
    The Prog Corner