Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name double LPs, where the second disc is better than first.

The Wall- Pink Floyd
    Out Of The Blue- ELO

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Dream Theater's Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I never listen to CD 1, only CD 2 with the title track.
    Ha! I'm the opposite!
    Chad

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    DJ version? Jukebox?

When did DJs play entire double albums, or when did jukeboxes use LPs?

You never heard of/saw an automatic record changer? It was pretty much the standard for mass-market audio equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    DJ version? Jukebox?

When did DJs play entire double albums, or when did jukeboxes use LPs?
    There was a time when complete albums would be played. It was not uncommon at all. Certainly during the evening hours.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was a time when complete albums would be played. It was not uncommon at all. Certainly during the evening hours.
    Yes, but it's highly unlikely they used an automatic record changer to do so, and a double album would probably be exceedingly rare. I remember when they'd warn you during the time leading up to it to get your tape decks ready.

There actually was a special sequence for DJs, where side 1 would be backed by side 3, and side 2 with 4. This makes no sense for home listening, and I have seen very few examples, but it allows a DJ using two turntables to play the entire album without interruption.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There actually was a special sequence for DJs, where side 1 would be backed by side 3, and side 2 with 4. This makes no sense for home listening, and I have seen very few examples, but it allows a DJ using two turntables to play the entire album without interruption.
    Actually I believe that it started with home hi-fi's - with sides 1 and 2 on separate discs you could load them both so they would play automatically then you would flip them and do 3 and 4 the same.

Now I'm showing my age.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Actually I believe that it started with home hi-fi's - with sides 1 and 2 on separate discs you could load them both so they would play automatically then you would flip them and do 3 and 4 the same.
    No, you're thinking of the common 1/4 2/3 combination. If you tried to do that with the DJ sequence (1/3 2/4), you would hear side 4 before side 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Zappa - Roxy Music disc 2 - IF there is a DJ version with disc one as 1,4 and the other 2,3
    Yes, my copy is

My vote is for XTCs English Settlement, though both discs are great

The Lamb. It's crazy how much better (to me) the 2nd disc is, particularly the Anyway - The Lamia section.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The Lamb. It's crazy how much better (to me) the 2nd disc is, particularly the Anyway - The Lamia section.
    I like the 2nd disc more because it's more complex and experimental.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like the 2nd disc more because it's more complex and experimental.
    I love disc 2 of course, but with disc 1 having Fly On A Windshield, Back In NYC, In The Cage, Carpet Crawlers... I can't be on that team with you guys.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

How about David Sylvian's Gone to Earth? The first (vocal) disc is cool--in more ways than one--but the instrumental disc is sublime.

No, you're thinking of the common 1/4 2/3 combination. If you tried to do that with the DJ sequence (1/3 2/4), you would hear side 4 before side 3.
    Yes you're quite right - brain cramp on my part.

IMO both discs are mediocre. The worst of the PG era.

One I can think of is Morphelia's Waken the Nightmare. What happened to them anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    IMO both discs are mediocre. The worst of the PG era.
    Worse than FGTR?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Worse than FGTR?
    I actually like FGTR, but I should have qualified my statement as "worst of the PG prog era".

I know of one in my collection, the History Of Eric Clapton compilation from the early 70's.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is the band's greatest achievement in the Gabriel era. Of course, I will add this is my opinion. Although I have come to appreciate and prefer the second album, the first is stellar too.

I think the first disc of The Lamb is more immediate, definitely- maybe the most accessible of the Gabriel era due to the shorter songs. But the second also clicked with me after a few plays and I loved it just as much. Even a couple of the tracks which are kind of 'filler' on paper, if you see the slide show for the album that they used on stage, they gain a different meaning. They planned this as a multi-media event from the start.

I'd possibly suggest Man's Back Into The Future, if only for the fact what was side 3 has arguably their all-time peak...the 'C'Mon' with the Gwalia Male Voice Choir, live at the Roundhouse.

Oh, and obviously ELP's Works Volume 1, simply because I only listen to what was side 4 of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Can't think of many but Van Morrison's Hymns To The Silence, maybe (although there's a few great tracks on the first disc like 'I'm Not Feeling It Anymore' and 'Take Me Back'). I did read somewhere that this was planned to be two separate albums but it got bundled together. It actually would have been better at one CD length (74 minutes or whatever it was then), whilst remaining a double record.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I love disc 2 of course, but with disc 1 having Fly On A Windshield, Back In NYC, In The Cage, Carpet Crawlers... I can't be on that team with you guys.
    Love 'Fly On A Windshield'. But nothing else touches 'The Lamia', 'Anyway', 'The Supernatural ...', 'The Colony of Slipperman', 'Riding The Scree', and 'In The Rapids' for me.

Definitely more complex and experimental as mozo-pg said. And after 'Foxtrot' and 'Selling England', some of the first disc sounded kinda stripped down (compositionally, not production) and straightforward by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is the band's greatest achievement in the Gabriel era.
    (Jeremy Clarkson mode) Except that it's not. Selling England By The Pound is. (Jeremy Clarkson mode off)

Third, Quadrophenia and Ladyland for me

Tommy would make it if Over and Under Tures were on it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.