Thread: Ne Zhdali

Ne Zhdali

Here is a criminally under rated band
    Ne Zhdali one of the most exciting bands of the late 80's early 90's
    MIxing punk energy with the complexity of progressive rock Balkan folk
    No idea why they are sort of overlooked now-days -I imagine of Cardiacs,Cheer Accident ,will find much to enjoy here.
    Oh and this is another chance to state Leonid Soybelman is one of my fav guitarists !

I have a knack of writing posts that get zero replies

You can usually count on ol' Chalkpie, Levgan and myself, Udi.

Sure, yeah - I like Soyb and the Zhdalis. Rhinoceros and Other Forms of Life remains my fave, but I haven't listened for quite some time. I should revisit ASAP, as I'm in need of some vodka-infused Baltic absurdist polka-rockpunk to stir my wintery darky murky noppyfloppy.

Are they still active, do you know?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Well, at least I DID listen to some of the clips. I found them 'interesting'.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I missed this one, will check it out later.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I dig it Udester! Has a bit of deranged surf music in that first tune too. Eclectic much?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Tbh, I was put off by the blurb "I imagine [fans] of Cardiacs, Cheer-Accident, will find much to enjoy here." Makes it sound like I'd be better off exploring those two bands instead.

I did enjoy "The 8th Day" -- almost jolly enough for your other thread.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Are they still active, do you know?
    Apparently not. Russian Wikipedia lists 2012 as the year of their final disbandment, though does not provide any sources of this information. However, I have indeed heard very little of them over the last ten years or so. The musicians are living in different countries now, Leonid Soybelman sometimes appears on other people's recordings, but it's been many years since I last heard of any activities of Ne Zhdali as a band.

Which is really too bad, because I feel that they could be one of my all-time favorite bands, had I had a chance to immerse myself in their music at their prime. As it happened, I have only seen them live once, as a 16-year-old back in 2000, and while I was extremely intrigued by what I saw, I definitely was not yet 100% ready for their genre-bending art. Take Auktyon or Vezhlivyi Otkaz whom I have first seen around the same time, but followed up on this by attending their shows in the next couple of years, and finally grew into being a devoted fan. Sadly Ne Zhdali never returned, and I only have very vague recollections of their stage magic now. The albums are good, of course, often very good (especially the later ones, like Cool Down the Horses and Whatever Happens, Twist), and I use to get back to them every now and then, but still mourn the fact that I have only got to see them live once, as an unexperienced kid, musically and otherwise.

I wanted to listen to this, but I was too busy checking out Topographic Coma, which - from what I hear - is one of the best live albums of all time. It's so live that even fake cheers don't make it less live, because this one is really live. So, really sorry, but maybe I hear some of this in a more favourable occasion.

^ Well, dude, at least you weren't put off by some blurb about something that you don't really want - and thus don't even need to be put off by. It's always so feces when that happens.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Well, dude, at least you weren't put off by some blurb about something that you don't really want - and thus don't even need to be put off by. It's always so feces when that happens.
    That's my first priority in life: not to be put off. So no risks. No chicken-feces. Just Yes. Yes to all.

join the club

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I missed this one, will check it out later.
    So did I... I don't go everyday on the actual fiorums thread list... I'm often busy enough following the threads I'm subscribed to.

firt YT is awesome and really raw... the other two are more "ibn the middle" (for Udi)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The band is non existent for many years, as much as other active Soybelman's projects. The basic reasons that are known to me ain't leaving too much promise, it rather makes me quite sad, but i prefer not to speculate about. Anyway, quite a lot had already been done during the 90'es to receive a well deserved attention.
    Don't look at the surface. Look inside.
    https://soulenema.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jibber and Twitch View Post
    The band is non existent for many years, as much as other active Soybelman's projects. The basic reasons that are known to me ain't leaving too much promise, it rather makes me quite sad, but i prefer not to speculate about. Anyway, quite a lot had already been done during the 90'es to receive a well deserved attention.
    Yes I heard of L.S.'s self destructing nature - such is life

:-)

"Whatever Happens, Twist" was my introduction to this great band and musics!.
    This past weekend I was listening to it after so long: it remains so fresh and visceral and great or even better, I think!.

Also, I dusted off:

- Kletka Red.

- Bz Bz Ueu.

And, of course:

- Už Jsme Doma

Back in the day, I played there music a lot!.
    Thanks Udi for the H.U.!!.

Last edited by TCC; 12-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.

I love this band, favourites are Rhinoceroses, and Pollo Dorro.
    I also love some of the offshoots - Klekta red of course, but also Les Halmas (a band of the bass player Ilya Komarov)
    And also a fantastic tribute album to Hans Eisler that has both Ilya and Leonid on it -

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ode-...elease/1658230

Yes I heard of L.S.'s self destructing nature - such is life
    I hadn't. Sorry to learn of this.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

P.S
    Count me as a fan and a BIG fan of Pollo D'Oro
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.