Thread: ARTIST DIRECTORY?? ONCE WAS A LIST OF BANDS/ARTISTS. WHERE IS IT NOW, GONE???

ARTIST DIRECTORY?? ONCE WAS A LIST OF BANDS/ARTISTS. WHERE IS IT NOW, GONE???

I cannot find the list anymore, was this on the old PE.?? Was I dreaming this.! IF it is still on this site please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance,

Dave

I think you’re thinking of Progarchives.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd Degree you are probably right although I could swear that there used to be such a list here on PE. I have been a member here since 2003 so maybe it was on the old site, I dunno. The older I get the worse the memory gets!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does anyone still use the Gibralter Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock? Not updated since 2011, but still useful for bands from before then, especially for those first exploring 70s/80s prog bands as it gives lots of opinion in addition to discographies:

http://www.gepr.net/

Full list of bands:

http://www.gepr.net/bandlist.html

Anyone else read the entire thing multiple times back in the day like I did? I had a printed copy that was my bible.

Thanks for the info 'DR. Z', I will check it out for sure. You have been here a long time, didn't PE have such a database? This is driving my aging brain crazy!! Please let me know so that I do not continue to think that I am nuts, although I know I am.

Dave

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    PE used to have a database of album reviews but it didn't make it over to the new site with PE3.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Looks like Progarchives.com has gone kaput for Black Friday. Just temporary, I'm sure. (Not the homepage, but if you try to go to an artist's entry.)

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80040e14'

Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.TVisitedPages'.'IX_TVisitedPages' in database 'qpauqxsp_macpa' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

/album.asp, line 14

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looks like Progarchives.com has gone kaput for Black Friday. Just temporary, I'm sure. (Not the homepage, but if you try to go to an artist's entry.)

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80040e14'

Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.TVisitedPages'.'IX_TVisitedPages' in database 'qpauqxsp_macpa' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

/album.asp, line 14
    They're having a huge sale on Crossover Prog today. The demand has overwhelmed their web host.

^ LOL - they seem to be back in business now.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    I cannot find the list anymore, was this on the old PE.?? Was I dreaming this.! IF it is still on this site please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance,

Dave
    gads! where have you been? that's been gone!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Rune I have been around, just have not had the need for such a thing. Was looking for a musician whose name I could not remember. So I was trying to find the old 'Artist Directory', I think it was called. Guess it has been awhile since I have needed that resource. Luckily I somehow seemed to remember the illusive artist name. He is Albert Marcoeur, have not listened to him in awhile and it was driving me nuts trying to remember his name.
    It was the Artist Directory if I recall?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does anyone still use the Gibralter Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock? Not updated since 2011, but still useful for bands from before then, especially for those first exploring 70s/80s prog bands as it gives lots of opinion in addition to discographies:

http://www.gepr.net/

Full list of bands:

http://www.gepr.net/bandlist.html

Anyone else read the entire thing multiple times back in the day like I did? I had a printed copy that was my bible.
    Man it has been a long time since I used that. That was my go to reference for a good bit. Still a wealth of info there.

One of the first things I did when I first got Internet connection in the late 1990s was search progressive rock and linked to GEPR. I spent a weekend reading through the whole thing. That site along with rmp and some of the Yahoo groups were great resources back then in the phone modem days for exploring prog.

There was also the old Progressive Rock FAQ which was helpful, but I can't find it now - only a book called Prog Rock FAQ that seems to have eclipsed the old FAQ.

An interesting collection of Krautrock reviews I just found - it's slow loading PDF but worthwhile:

http://www.thesoundprojector.com/ebooks/kraut.pdf

When I was a PE newbie I used that archive quite a bit looking up artists and albums. It was a great aid in rebuilding my collection.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

There are only six progressive bands. Or is it seven?

Five, and they are BIG!

So Sean was there or not such said 'Artist Directory' on this site?? If so where did it go? Was it on the old site?

There was one, you are correct.

We didn't move it once we moved to the new site.

It wasn't easy to host as part of the new place and keeping it up to date was a thankless job nobody wanted to do.

PA has a better one anyway, no point in competing with that.

Thanks Sean for letting me know. I thought I was totally losing what mind I have left. It feels good to know my memory is still somewhat working!

Thanks Sean for letting me know. I thought I was totally losing what mind I have left. It feels good to know my memory is still somewhat working!
    I'm even worse than you Hondo. I do not even remember the feature! Maybe show me a screen grab to jog my memory...which is HORRIBLE.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    There was one, you are correct.

We didn't move it once we moved to the new site.

It wasn't easy to host as part of the new place and keeping it up to date was a thankless job nobody wanted to do.

PA has a better one anyway, no point in competing with that.
    Sean is right. It was on the old PEv2. It took a LOT to maintain it. For about 6 months I kept records of the number of times it was accessed, and the answer was .. not very much at all. In fact there were twice as many visits to update it as there were to find information. So we didn't transfer it. Also, by the time we converted to PEv3 ... with Google's ever-expanding capability and the increasing depth of history on the Interweb, it didn't seem to offer much that you couldn't find with a quick search.

I still have all of the old reviews, though. It will take a LOT of work to transfer it to PEv3, but I'm still hoping to do that sometime.
    Regards,

Duncan