Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Cassidy Dead at 67

David Cassidy Dead at 67

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/da...cid=spartanntp
    *** Cassidy starred alongside real-life stepmother Shirley Jones on The Partridge Family, which ran for a total of 96 episodes over four seasons between 1970 and 1974. The TV-family band put out 10 platinum-selling albums during the series’ run. Among their biggest hits was "I Think I Love You,” which climbed to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart in November 1970.***

RIP
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

R.I.P David

David Cassidy became friends with John Wetton in the late 80's and they wrote several songs together along with Cassidy's wife Sue Shifrin.

John used this one for Asia:

And this one wound up on a Wetton solo album, with Cassidy singing backings:

RIP Davy...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, David.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The wife and I saw Cassidy in a big production show in Las Vegas a long time ago. I think the show was called EFX (or something like that). I have to admit that I was pretty much blown away by Cassidy. The guy could really sing, play decent guitar and was an all-around showman. He was not someone that I would ever go see in concert, but in the Vegas production show setting he was really good.

Very sad to hear this. 67 is way too young to go.

The 70s are leaving us.

My wife knows TWO people who knew David, one who worked at the airport where he traveled all the time and another who dated him, years ago. He was by all accounts an extremely nice man. Sadly, alcoholism seems to have ravaged his liver and brought on early dementia.

RIP.

67, way too young.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Very sad to hear this. 67 is way too young to go.
    Yeah, this.

I LOVED watching the P family on TV back in the day...definitely had a crush on Susan Day.
    G.A.S -aholic

Susan Dey was pretty hot. But, Tracy held the band together.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm not ashamed to admit that he was my first musical hero at age 8. The girls wanted him, I wanted to be him :-)
    And how can you not love all those strange looking Ovation electrics they used to play on the TV show.
    Ovation must have sponsored them.
    R.I.P. David.

I loved the show back in third grade. The trading cards were a hot commodity in that classroom!

I still like a lot of those tunes..., RIP DC, and yup , the 70s are leaving us.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I was in eighth grade when the show debuted. Two things struck me immediately: Danny got all the good lines and Susan Dey was a freaking goddess. But yeah, all the girls in my class were into David. David was kind of a chip off the old block, should have segued to being song n' dance man on Broadway. That Vegas production sited above sounds like it was a good fit for him.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was in eighth grade when the show debuted. Two things struck me immediately: Danny got all the good lines and Susan Dey was a freaking goddess. But yeah, all the girls in my class were into David. David was kind of a chip off the old block, should have segued to being song n' dance man on Broadway. That Vegas production sited above sounds like it was a good fit for him.
    Cassidy did do a lot of theater in the 80's, although I don't think he ever appeared on Broadway. I think he did do an East End production in London, and he was in national touring companies of several broadway musicals if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Cassidy did do a lot of theater in the 80's, although I don't think he ever appeared on Broadway. I think he did do an East End production in London, and he was in national touring companies of several broadway musicals if I remember correctly.
    He actually started his career on Broadway in a flop, then returned in 1982, replacing Donny Osmond in "Joseph & The Technicolor Dreamcoat" and again in 1993 co-starring with his halfbrother in "Blood Brothers". His obituary in Playbill has more details -
    http://www.playbill.com/article/davi...ots-dies-at-67
    Last edited by Obscured; 11-22-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Sad news. He had fallen on a second wave of hard times during the past decade, despite having a second wind during the late-'80s and '90s. My most sentimental experiences with him involved his stint as VJ on VH-1's 8-Track Flashback during the mid '90s. Each day circa 1995—96, I'd watch the program, dress up in my NuRo/Wavo attire, then head on out to walk the streets of Portland and go '70s/'80s record shopping.

One of the things I loved most about the show was how Cassidy didn't dress in retro-'70s or then-contemporary garb on his hosting segments, he instead sported a '50s suit and hairstyle. It gave the show a sense of timelessness — a quality that would have been degraded had he worn either a retro leisure suit/muff-do getup or some ghastly, mid-'90s elephant-leg ensemble.

For some reason, I used to own a Partridge Family best of record (I think my mom must have bought it for me at the thrift store). Anyhow, there was some good songs on that record. One I remember liking a lot was called I Can Feel Your Heartbeat.

It's kinda funny watching the clips of them "performing" the songs now, and it's so obvious none of them, other than Cassidy, are musicians. The shots of Susan Dey looking down at the piano or organ keyboard while she's pretending to sing back up vocals is precious. In a couple different interviews, I've heard Bonaduce talk about how Cassidy got mad at him for strumming the strings of his bass, as if he were playing guitar. And I knowt here's at least one clip, I forget which song or which episode, where the drummer is whacking away at at the snare on every beat. Really? You can't figure out where the 2 and the 4 is, kid?

Stu Hamm once suggested that Bonaduce was his inspiration to become a bassist, and once joked that he was the greatest bassist ever because "he plays all those songs without ever moving his left hand!".

Truth is, I knew they didn't really play on the records, because they actually credited the studio musicians (basically the latter day Wrecking Crew, including Hal Blaine, Mike Melvoin, and I forget who else) on the back covers of the records.

I saw an interview with Shirley Jones where she said people kept asking her why they didn't take "the group" on the road, or play Vegas or whatever, and she said she had to explain to people that there was no group to tak on the road. She also said she did the show because she wanted to take a break from doing movies, and she then said, sort of laughingly, "And it worked, I haven't been a in movie since!"

Oh yeah, and Susan Dey was hot. No argument there. She was in a good SWAT episode, I remember.

couple of the gals on Lost in Space
    Angela Cartwright was adorable. She was in my favorite My Three Sons episode.

Oh and the other thign I always thought was amusing about The Partridge Family was that they replaced the geeky looking, dark haired kid with a relatively "cute" blonde haired kid. Yes, I know why they replaced him, I've heard Bonaduce and Jeremy Gelbwaks both talk about it. That's not my frelling my point. My point is the replacement didn't look anything like the original kid. He didn't even have the same hair colour. Even on soap operas they don't pull that kind of dren!

I watched the show but I always thought it was bubblegum bullshit. And I was jealous of David and his bitchin' hair........

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    When I was a kid (around 6,7,8) I remember my older brother and his friends being gaga over Susan Dey. I too remember being a tad twitterpated over her. Years later I'd see reruns and be struck at how hot I thought Shirley Jones was and how funny it was that she eluded me in my youth. I've heard that her memoirs are quite the salacious read in places.

My sister had a wall sized pinup of David, shirtless, perfect hair, puka shell choker. My brother and his friends thought he was a punk but would have gladly traded a left whatever to spend one day in the dude's shoes.

And yes, only he and Shirley actually ever sang (Jones did have the pipes and pedigree after all). Many times it was so evident that the backup singing was mostly male. Shirley became more audible in songs as the show went on. David became a tad disgruntled when episodes eventually gravitated toward the antagonistic reparte' twixt Danny P and Ruben Kincaid. David would later lament that he never was able to sequester his dad's approval (Jack did his share of TV but never liked the show).

I always likened David's career to that of Rick Springfield, another actor/singer (who was a better musician/performer than he got credit for) that got red hot for a brief time then dropped off the radar after having whored himself out to acting to the point of trivializing his musical accomplishments.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I thought Susan Day was pretty, but anorexic skinny. Nothing special. Marcia was hotter. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh and the other thign I always thought was amusing about The Partridge Family was that they replaced the geeky looking, dark haired kid with a relatively "cute" blonde haired kid. Yes, I know why they replaced him, I've heard Bonaduce and Jeremy Gelbwaks both talk about it. That's not my frelling my point. My point is the replacement didn't look anything like the original kid. He didn't even have the same hair colour. Even on soap operas they don't pull that kind of dren!
    Yes they do. I recall General Hospital had a few different Heather Webber's that didn't resemble each other. There were also noticeable replacements in All My Children and One Life To Live.

Other tv shows...

Bewitched - The 2 Dick's didn't resemble each other; neither did the Gladys Kravitz replacement

Happy Days - replacement Chuck looked nothing like the original one

Roseanne - replacement daughter looked nothing like the original one

Batman - Frank Gorshin and John Astin do not resemble each other

Baywatch - Replacement Hobie (Jeremy Jackson) looks nothing like Brandon Call. Replacement Neely doesn't resemble Gena Lee Nolin except that they both had blonde hair

Facts of Life - Blair's mom was portrayed by different actresses that didn't look alike

...and on and on. So what if the replacement actors didn't resemble the previous actor?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Soap operas were notorious for bringing in different actors to play recurring characters. They were also noted for accelerating the growth of children characters from child to adult, skipping a decade or so, just so they could put them into salacious story lines.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just looked up Sean Cassidy, and he's been married three times and has 8 kids! Holy cow!