Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: John Zorn's Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness

FEATURED ALBUM: John Zorn's Electric Masada - At the Mountains of Madness

John Zorn is nothing if not prolific, both as player and composer. Masada is one of his now "classic" projects that began around a 10 volume "Masada book" in the mid 90s, and has now expanded to over 50 recordings. Electric Masada was one of the more ambitious offshoots, and this album from 2005 is one of the most compelling examples of Zorn's Masada project. Any fans?

Review from Sputnik Music
    Review Summary: A fantastic jazz album with incredible musicianship, perfect atmosphere and just the right mix of vicious heavy sections and calm melodic sections.

Electric Masada is an offshoot of saxophonist John Zorn’s group ‘Masada’, which blends traditional Jewish klezmer music with free jazz. Keeping mainly the same members (including the hugely talented guitarist Marc Ribot who has played with Tom Waits, Elvis Costello and many others) and two drummers, they combined the experimental free jazz of Masada with noise, rock and metal influences to create some of the most ferocious and exciting free jazz ever recorded.

All of the songs on the album are live recordings taken from a collection of Zorn’s klezmer-based compositions called the ‘Masada Songbook’. With over 200 songs in the songbook it could be criticised for only containing a few and even repeating some of them on the album, but this really shows the huge talent of the band members in improvising - the same song sounds almost completely different each time so you probably wouldn’t even notice you’ve heard it before.

The music here goes from slow spacey jazz to vicious noise and everything in between, often switching between them suddenly. For most of the album it is perhaps best comparable to Miles Davis’ ‘Bitches Brew’ but sounds much more modern. Because of the heavy drumming and electronics the album always has a very rich textured sound. As previously mentioned, a lot of it is improvised but it always works well, keeping the album unpredictable but never meandering pointlessly like a lot of improvised music does.

One of Zorn’s other bands, Naked City, plays grindcore, and this obviously influences some of the heavier parts. One of the songs is actually a Naked City cover. These are usually the weaker points of the album however. There’s one part especially in ‘Metal Tov’ with a horrible piercing whistle that seems to have been placed there just for the sake of it that ruins the whole song. The whole album is so gripping these points are hardly noticeable though.

The musicianship is absolutely incredible throughout. Guitarist Marc Ribot and keyboardist Jamie Saft play some beautiful memorable melodies but are capable of being much more aggressive when needed. John Zorn’s saxophone playing is amazingly varied, ranging from having a smooth and warm tone to frantic high-pitched shrieks. Ikue Mori is in charge of the vague sounding ‘electronics’, meaning that she is adding different random sounds in through her laptop. This actually works quite well, never getting in the way of the music but adding to it by removing the moments of empty spaces.

The rhythm section in particular is incredible. The very complex and precise drumming of Joey Baron and Kenny Wollesen with some fantastic bass-lines from Trevor Dunn drive the album forward, keeping it constantly interesting and hold it together when the other members go off improvising in completely different directions.

As a double album lasting over 2 and a half hours it may be too overwhelming to listen to it all in one go, but it is easily gripping enough to listen to one disk at a time. Recommended not just to jazz fans, but because of the fusion/rock influence, rock fans also.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Flamin' great Zorn creation; one of my top-5 faves of his - out of some maybe 50 that I've heard altogether.

Amazing! Little beats Electric Masada from our day and age, IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I adore this album, it's heavier than most of my metal collection. The angularity and turn on a dime leaps into brutality are superb. This might be even more of a room clearer than Trout Mask Replica or Western Culture.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Monumental.

No wonder it can be already found on modern lists of top live albums:

This two CD set, recorded in 2004 in Moscow and Ljubljana, is always the first thing I think of whenever anyone mentions favourite live albums. John Zorn takes the Ornette Coleman inspired 'radical Jewish music' of his Masada songbook as a starting point and then nods to Live-Evil era Miles Davis and revisits the heaviness created by his own Naked City group. This combination was always going to be a winning idea. Then there's the line-up itself. Two incredible drummers in the form of Joey Baron and Kenny Wollesen, with Cyro Baptista on percussion. Trevor Dunn on bass and Marc Ribot on guitar. Jamie Saft on Keyboards and Ikue Mori on laptop, summoning all kinds of sonic precipitation as Zorn's mercurial sax shrieks, soars and spits electricity throughout.

This is gorgeous, rich-sounding music, at times lyrical and beautiful and at others almost brain-meltingly intense and psychedelic. The differences apparent over the two discs, which contain essentially the same tracks, showcase the high-level of directed improvisation going on, to the extent that it's not immediately apparent that you are listening to the same source material. The two versions of 'Kedem' are particular highlights. The CD package itself is also a beautiful thing, decorated with demonic-looking Tibetan Buddhist artwork.
    http://thequietus.com/articles/11293-best-live-albums

Haven't had the occasion to investigate more of Zorn's extensive works, but this stupendous album is one of those I did

I should investigate more some day, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Haven't had the occasion to investigate more of Zorn's extensive works, but this stupendous album is one of those I did

I should investigate more some day, though.
    The occasion, meaning you only have one life and you're not 300 years old.

Incredible stuff. Mark Ribot is the man!

A magnificent slab of total heaviosity. I tend not to listen to it too often as I don't want it to lose its power.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Interesting... I've never heard any of Zorn's Electric Masada (or just plain old Masada) recordings, mostly because his catalog is just incredibly daunting. This sounds really intriguing though. Think I'll put it on the shopping list for next time I order from Wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Interesting... I've never heard any of Zorn's Electric Masada (or just plain old Masada) recordings, mostly because his catalog is just incredibly daunting. This sounds really intriguing though. Think I'll put it on the shopping list for next time I order from Wayside.
    TBH, the only thing I've heard from Zorn is the Masada series. (it's 10 or 11 different albums, if memory serves)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ You should hear more. Honestly. And just to make it clear: accordion peril is null and void.

Zorn as strictly a 'new musics' composer: Kristallnacht
    Zorn as adapter/interpreter: The Big Gundown (Ennio Morricone's works)
    Zorn as composer AND performer: Six Litanies for Heliogabalus (with the Moonchild Trio)
    Zorn as sidekick: Downtown Lullaby (with Elliott Sharp, Bobby Previte, Wayne Horvitz)
    Zorn as composer/performer/conductor/strategist: Radio (with Naked City)
    Zorn as improvising bandmember: Execution Ground (with Painkiller)
    Zorn as freebase solo improviser: The Classic Guide to Strategy vol. 2
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Funny thing is that someone would definitely propose that the lack of "progressive" attention to this thread is due to the "[...] uh, obscurity of the given artist". For one of the most overall renowned and generally acknowledged names in genuinely creative modern musics in the Anglosaxon sphere these past 25-30 years.

^^^

I can see the name Zorn being a total repellent to symph weenies (unless we're talking of Jim Zorn - Seattle Seahawks QB during the 80's)

BTW, I've noted your suggestionson a pievce of paper, so I'll investigate more when I got time.
    Though the thread is only one day old, soooo let's give it a second day before hollering.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Funny thing is that someone would definitely propose that the lack of "progressive" attention to this thread is due to the "[...] uh, obscurity of the given artist". For one of the most overall renowned and generally acknowledged names in genuinely creative modern musics in the Anglosaxon sphere these past 25-30 years.
    I've got what I wanted - your suggestions - and I'm happy about it. The rest...well, yes, it's a matter we should deal in radical ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can see the name Zorn being a total repellent to symph weenies
    Undeservedly, because there are also a few comfy entry points to Zorn's oeuvre for those who yearn for sweet harmonies and lush arrangements:

1. The Dreamers ensemble: the seed for this band got planted on "Gift" (2001), but the first albums by the stable lineup are "Dreamers" (2008) and "O'o" (2009)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...y#The_Dreamers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gXGwk27Zo

2. "Alhambra" series: kicked off with "Alhambra Love Songs" (2009) featuring some easy-going instrumental playing, which would get continued on the albums like "In Search of the Miraculous" (2010), "Music for the Ancient of Days" (2010) and "At the Gates of Paradise" (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--XS7erJHc&t=122s

3. Masada songbook: inaugurated by the splendid "Bar Kokhba" (1996) collection of various all-star ensembles performing Jewish/Eastern folk-inspired themes originally written for his own Masada jazz quartet, it spawned a few intertwining "production" lines:

- Bar Kokhba Sextet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z..._Kokhba_Sextet
    - Masada String Trio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...da_String_Trio
    - Masada Anniversary series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...versary_series
    - Book of Angels (Masada Book 2) series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...Book_of_Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRY...St8_TMnlycjHq3
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 11-23-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    there are also a few comfy entry points to Zorn's oeuvre for those who yearn for sweet harmonies and lush arrangements
    Ol' Roofe and the dudes are all over it already.

The Pellucidar album by the Dreamers is really enjoyable. I love the tuned percussion work on it (vibraphone I think?). Very beautiful music.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ... and this album from 2005 is one of the most compelling examples of Zorn's Masada project.
    Any fans?

Agree 150%!.

One of my favorites from the Zorn´s universe!!.

ps.: yes, Ribot is the man IMO too!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Undeservedly, because there are also a few comfy entry points to Zorn's oeuvre for those who yearn for sweet harmonies and lush arrangements:

1. The Dreamers ensemble: the seed for this band got planted on "Gift" (2001), but the first albums by the stable lineup are "Dreamers" (2008) and "O'o" (2009)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...y#The_Dreamers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gXGwk27Zo

2. "Alhambra" series: kicked off with "Alhambra Love Songs" (2009) featuring some easy-going instrumental playing, which would get continued on the albums like "In Search of the Miraculous" (2010), "Music for the Ancient of Days" (2010) and "At the Gates of Paradise" (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--XS7erJHc&t=122s

3. Masada songbook: inaugurated by the splendid "Bar Kokhba" (1996) collection of various all-star ensembles performing Jewish/Eastern folk-inspired themes originally written for his own Masada jazz quartet, it spawned a few intertwining "production" lines:

- Bar Kokhba Sextet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z..._Kokhba_Sextet
    - Masada String Trio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...da_String_Trio
    - Masada Anniversary series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...versary_series
    - Book of Angels (Masada Book 2) series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Z...Book_of_Angels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRY...St8_TMnlycjHq3
    Agree!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

He's got 7 already out in 2017, 11 in 2016, 16 in 2015, if my source (a facebook friend) is correct. You need some extra pairs of ears to catch up with all this.

^ Zorn is listed as involved in more than 500 separate recording projects (i.e. albums) - be it as player, composer (et al.), producer. I remember reading once that he had six bands/ensembles running simultaneously, half of them in part-global touring rotation.

In a life like that, there can hardly be much time for either sleep or eating. The guy has only given some half-a-dozen serious interviews and he'd never even consider answering a question which wasn't strictly about the actual art of music, so whether he has ever seen time to start a family or whatever, I dunno. Somehow I can't even think how that might be possible for anyone as hardworking as him. I suppose all concerns of 'sound' fill the necessary slots and levels of meaning in existence. Kinda.

^ we could teach this fella some meaningful activities, like getting a real job, screwing up marriages, writing on PE etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ^ we could teach this fella some meaningful activities, like getting a real job, screwing up marriages, writing on PE etc.
    Oh, he's already here. He just posted in the 'Morse solo' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    [...] keeping the album unpredictable but never meandering pointlessly like a lot of improvised music does.
    Wait, what? Pointless meandering is a hazard of improvised music? Why wasn't I told?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I adore this album, it's heavier than most of my metal collection. The angularity and turn on a dime leaps into brutality are superb. This might be even more of a room clearer than Trout Mask Replica or Western Culture.
    In the embedded videos, I'm just not hearing this. Some mild dissonance around the 11:00 mark of "Karaim", but nothing to clear a room. Are these the "polite" tracks?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

In the embedded videos, I'm just not hearing this. Some mild dissonance around the 11:00 mark of "Karaim", but nothing to clear a room. Are these the "polite" tracks?
    If I recall correctly, and knowingly putting it coarsely, the jazzy-ethnic tracks alternate with manic, metal improvisations. So probably the wilder stuff isn't given here. But it's certainly in the record.

Wait, what? Pointless meandering is a hazard of improvised music? Why wasn't I told?
    It is a prog forum, so the only acceptable improvisation here is a thoroughly rehearsed (then preferably edited and overdubbed) one.

Not sure what metal collection NogbadTheBad owns, but if it is mostly White Lion and Great White this number should scare:

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 11-27-2017 at 04:25 PM.