Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Neal Morse Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He can still sing, but his range is more limited now. And I think he has a little more rasp to his voice, too.
    This is my impression of his singing too. He limits his playing on stage as well, and tends to avoid guitar now. Leaves the heavy lifting to the band. Eric's tone is really sweet though, really enhances the sound of Neal's music.

Thinking about his singing though, he never had a really great range. Nick D'Virgilio used to sing all the high notes when Neal was in Spock's Beard. That was the problem though when Neal left and had been trying to take on everything himself. Amazing in some respects, but lacking in others.

He can still sing, but his range is more limited now. And I think he has a little more rasp to his voice, too. But nothing that would keep him from recording or touring. And adding Gillette gives him some help with the higher parts.
    I can agree with this. But saying his voice is shot suggests he's like Ian Anderson or Bob Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I can agree with this. But saying his voice is shot suggests he's like Ian Anderson or Bob Dylan.
    Yup, his voice has aged (gasp!) but he's nowhere near "shot", while I love Eric's voice Neal does most of the singing in his band although everyone but Randy sings (Mike shouldn't).

I was never a big fan of Morse's voice to begin with. Too AOR for me. When I listen to Transatlantic, it seems like it takes forever for Roine Stolt's voice to make an appearance. I could never understand that. Always drove me batty.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    I was never a big fan of Morse's voice to begin with. Too AOR for me. When I listen to Transatlantic, it seems like it takes forever for Roine Stolt's voice to make an appearance. I could never understand that. Always drove me batty.
    I can, Neal is a far better singer than Roine, even now.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    I can, Neal is a far better singer than Roine, even now.
    I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like both.
    Me too.

I love Neal's singing in SB and Transatlantic, but it was nice to have Roine's vocals there to mix things up.

Yup, his voice has aged (gasp!) but he's nowhere near "shot", while I love Eric's voice Neal does most of the singing in his band although everyone but Randy sings (Mike shouldn't).
    Agree, Morse's voice is a bit different, but not shot. When I saw Neal Morse Band at ROSfest I also was impressed with the keyboard players voice. I think being able to trade off vocals really helps Neal get through the show. Even back in the early Spock's days, by the end of a two hour show his voice was often showing significant wear.

When I listen to Transatlantic, it seems like it takes forever for Roine Stolt's voice to make an appearance.
    I have the problem with The Flower Kings, but not TA. I love both Neal's and Roine's voice. Not a fan of Hasse's singing, though he is a good singer. I just prefer Roine's distinctive and quirky tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I have the problem with The Flower Kings, but not TA. I love both Neal's and Roine's voice. Not a fan of Hasse's singing, though he is a good singer. I just prefer Roine's distinctive and quirky tone.
    I don't think I would enjoy a whole album with Roine singing. I find his voice much more enjoyable when he alternates with another singer whether it's Morse or Fröberg. It will be interesting to see how they share the lead vocals in The Sea Within supergroup project.

Neal is a far better singer than Roine, even now.
    I can respect that. But I enjoy Roine's singing more than Neal's.

That is one reason why The Whirlwind is so great - it actually starts with Roine singing!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I don't think I would enjoy a whole album with Roine singing. I find his voice much more enjoyable when he alternates with another singer whether it's Morse or Fröberg. It will be interesting to see how they share the lead vocals in The Sea Within supergroup project.
    This is why I prefer later records from The Flower Kings - Hasse was underutilized on the first few albums...

I really hope it's near 50/50 with Daniel on The Sea Within's debut.

And Transatlantic is/was so good because of the contrast between Neal and Roine.

Invention Of Knowledge would have been way better had Roine been allowed to sing a bit of lead.

Eric Gillette's presence in The Neal Morse Band is one reason (of many) to be excited about a new NMB album. It's his voice as much as his guitar playing...

And when I saw Neal last year (in Cleveland) his voice was raspy but DAMN does he know how to use it. I guess I shouldn't have said it was "shot." It's "evolved."
    The Prog Corner

I like Roine, but only as a "change of pace." He's quirky, and for me, that can work in small or intermittent doses, but not for extended periods. Just a personal preference.

I do agree about Invention of Knowledge. I was hoping and expecting to hear at least some of Roine on vocals.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like Roine, but only as a "change of pace." He's quirky, and for me, that can work in small or intermittent doses, but not for extended periods. Just a personal preference.

I do agree about Invention of Knowledge. I was hoping and expecting to hear at least some of Roine on vocals.
    Agreed on all counts.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    This is why I prefer later records from The Flower Kings - Hasse was underutilized on the first few albums...

And Transatlantic is/was so good because of the contrast between Neal and Roine.

Invention Of Knowledge would have been way better had Roine been allowed to sing a bit of lead.

Eric Gillette's presence in The Neal Morse Band is one reason (of many) to be excited about a new NMB album. It's his voice as much as his guitar playing...

And when I saw Neal last year (in Cleveland) his voice was raspy but DAMN does he know how to use it. I guess I shouldn't have said it was "shot." It's "evolved."
    I agree with all of your points now!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Totally agree. I love his voice.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That would be cool but maybe save a few % for Brislin. He is also a good singer. But lead does seem unlikely with Roine and Daniel as options. But then again this could be an instrumental album! Nobody knows

Ember
    There seem to be many tickets still available for the Thursday 2/22 show in Sellersville, including up-front tables and preferred seating. It’s a cheap date, guys, and Neal says “bring your wives!”

I'll be there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

NYC on Friday.

I'm not overly-impressed with his new album. I hope the show is more than just these songs.

I'm not overly-impressed with his new album. I hope the show is more than just these songs.
    It is, though the album was featured heavily.

Me too. I mean, it's OK, but it's a lot more laid back than "It's Not Too Late", or even "Songs From November". It needs a bit more pep in it. But I'll keep at it, maybe some more songs will grow on me. So far my favourite is "Manchester"

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Me too. I mean, it's OK, but it's a lot more laid back than "It's Not Too Late", or even "Songs From November". It needs a bit more pep in it. But I'll keep at it, maybe some more songs will grow on me. So far my favourite is "Manchester"
    It's not even that. I don't mind laid-back. They're just so....simple, for lack of a better word. The lyrics are often clumsy (and this is by Morse's usual standard, which is usually below-average), and the songs just don't have much "there."

I had it playing in my car. I went into a store, got back in my car, and when it started playing again (forgive me, I forget which song), I thought I somehow had a children's album on.

I love most of Morse's proggy stuff. Maybe there's just not much there under all of the cool keyboard and guitar riffs.