Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ECM is now streaming

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I've loved Alex Cline's ECM album, The Lamp And The Star, for many years.I only recently found some clips from the cd.Instrumentation is,drums, cello, violin/viola, double bass,piano/organ,and female vox.I hope you like it.

He has made a lot of really good albums, particularly on Cryptogramophone. I guess you are already familiar with that body of work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    He has made a lot of really good albums, particularly on Cryptogramophone. I guess you are already familiar with that body of work, though.
    Somewhat familiar;i have a couple of the Cryptogramophone cds.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I won't be supporting Spotify, but happy to contribute to any list that helps spread the Gospel according to Manfred! I could list 10 each from Dave Holland or Keith Jarrett, and probably almost that many from Pat Metheny and Kenny Wheeler, but here are ten that occupy proud spaces in my collection, hopefully some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Garbarek/Vitous/Erskine Star
    Charlie Haden Ballad of the Fallen
    Gary Peacock Shift in the Wind
    Steve Swallow Home
    Chris Potter's Underground Orchestra Imaginary Cities
    David Torn Prezens
    Gateway Homecoming
    Dave Holland Triplicate
    Peter Erskine You Never Know
    Bill Frisell Rambler
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, that's a Watt, not an actual ECM. If that makes a difference. But they are fudging about the "full ECM catalogue" being available. It looks like stuff that has never been made available in digital form is still not available. First thing I looked for was Wolfgang Dauner's Output.
    Yes I though that but then I checked 'Hapless Child' and that was also on Watt and that's on Spotify. On the other hand Hapless was out on CD and 3/4 wasn't so perhaps its a case of 'easier to rip a CD than to clean the crackles from an LP'

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Yes I though that but then I checked 'Hapless Child' and that was also on Watt and that's on Spotify. On the other hand Hapless was out on CD and 3/4 wasn't so perhaps its a case of 'easier to rip a CD than to clean the crackles from an LP'
    Hapless Child came to Spotify via this new ECM deal so it seem that it is licensed to ECM or something like that.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Orcopian
    I have quite missed feelings about this decision. I was an early adopter of spotify and I can remember ECM was originally available but was pulled off. I was initially a bit disappointed as it was a good way for me to explore a genre I was unfamiliar with but developing an interest in, however i respected the decision and came to view ECM as a premium quality product that I would have to pay for if I wanted to listen. Since then I've taken a great deal of pleasure building my modest (60 or so CD's) collection of ECM, many of which appear on the various top 10's. The rarum compilations have been a great way to explore artists and as a lot of them have played with each other there are lots of links to follow. One artist I don't think I've seen mentioned so far is Arild Andersen, his green in blue 3CD box set is fabulous, so I will chime in with that one. So I will enjoy listening to ECM on spotify because as I can explore the links, try before I buy and listen to the hard to get stuff like Terje Rypdal, although I do feel it is a little sad that they have made this decision, but I can understand the reasons. I can't say I have noticed the watermark issue but I haven't listened a whole lot on spotify yet- this week I have just downloaded some albums to listen to on my phone during my lunchtime walk, so the fidelity issue passes me by - but without doubt if I have the time and opportunity, listening to an ECM CD at home on my hi fi is a great way to pass the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Why do they do it [watermark streams]?
    Because streams are an inferior substitute for the proper album, so they might as well sound like it?

I don't know how that sounded, but it wasn't really sarcastic. If you're offering free samples of your stuff to entice buyers, of course it shouldn't be giveaways of the same full-size full-quality portions you want them to pay for.
    Last edited by Spiral; 11-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Because streams are an inferior substitute for the proper album, so they might as well sound like it?

I don't know how that sounded, but it wasn't really sarcastic. If you're offering free samples of your stuff to entice buyers, of course it shouldn't be giveaways of the same full-size full-quality portions you want them to pay for.
    They're not intended to be samples, the intent of streaming services is to be the only way you hear music.

Universal isn't applying their watermark on only streams, but high resolution downloads too.

This version of Erik Satie-Messe des Pauvres was the first time i ever heard this composition.It was(is) on a ECM lp(cd).The piece floored me.Still does.This version omits the choir.Organist is Christopher Bowers-Broadbent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Interesting to see that we have a clear favourite amongst people who have given a list so far - Ralph Towner's Solstice. Which is indeed a really beautiful record.
    Love it!.
    I hadn't heard it in a long time, what a great album!

Now playing it!.

Last edited by TCC; 11-23-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    They're not intended to be samples, the intent of streaming services is to be the only way you hear music.
    I know the analogy wasn't perfect. I get what you mean, but streams are still a step below the full work that's being created and offered for sale. If some/most listeners aren't willing to pay the folks who made the music, I don't blame ECM for offering a lower-quality version at all. The listeners are still getting the better end of a very slanted deal.

Universal isn't applying their watermark on only streams, but high resolution downloads too.
    Now that I didn't realize. That's just incomprehensible.
    Last edited by Spiral; 11-24-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Must add these to my list of fave ECM's.

Shankar-Who's To Know
    Shankar-Pancha Nadai Pallavi

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
    For me:
    Ralph Towner
    Pat Metheny (don't really think of him as an ECM artist)
    Keith Jarrett
    Enrico Rava
    Chick Corea
    Paolo Fresu
    Tomasz Stanko
    Soren Bebe
    Wolfgang Muthspiel (the Rising Grace album with Kenny Wheeler - OMG!)
    Bobo Stenson - surprised no one mentioned him try the track Oleo de Mujer Con Sombrero
    Stefano Bollani
    Marcin Wasilewski
    ...and one I highly recommend I didn't see anyone mention is the album Atmospheres from Tigran Hamasyan, Arve Henriksen, Eivind Aarset & Jan Bang.

I have the entire ECM catalog on Apple Music for $10/month. I found so much that I like by listening to the paid Ralph Towner station on Pandora.
    Last edited by PMG4ME; 02-26-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Now that I didn't realize. That's just incomprehensible.
    Why? Whenever I get digital promos for review they are almost always watermarked...and why not? They want to be able to tell if someone has put downloads that they bought up for free. I see no problem in being able to police digital assets to ensure they’re not being shared illegally.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by PMG4ME View Post

I have the entire ECM catalog on Apple Music for $10/month. I found so much that I like by listening to the paid Ralph Towner station on Pandora.
    I’m very happy for you. How much do you think the artists are making to give you that access?

Sorry, I know this is legal and so there’s nothing wrong with what you’re doing. But when I read how thrilled you are to have access to all this music for so little money, it does make me realize that this is one big reason why artists are struggling more than they have, at least, in the last 60 years, to make any kind of living from the music they make.

I don’t mean this as disrespect to you...more as an observation of where musicians are today, with their work so greatly devalued.

But, again, it’s perfectly legal, so I’m not taking issue with you...I am, however, taking issue with sites like Spotify, who have, in one fell swoop, totally changed the landscape and ability for artists to make records. Let’s not forget that Pat Metheny’s From This Place, which is getting some discussion here at PE, is the guitarist’s first release of new music in 6 years...and, as I understand it, he has multiple other albums in the can that he hasn’t released during that time.

This really is a bad place we’re in, when it comes to music and those who make it.
    John Kelman

It’s really difficult to narrow these down to a reasonable number. Here are just a few of my favorites:

Nik Bartsch’s Romin - Holon
    Stefanano Battaglia - Re: Pasolini
    Stefano Bollani - Stone in the Water
    Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams
    Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden - Last Dance
    Keith Jarrett - Bremen/Lausanne
    Marc Johnson - Shades of Jade
    Chris Potter - The Sirens
    Enrico Rava - Easy Living
    Scofield/Gouldings/DeJohnette - Saudades
    Tomas Stanko - Suspended Night
    Craig Taborn - Avenging Angel
    Ralph Towner - Solstice
    Tsabrapoulos/Lechner/Gandhi - Melos
    Martin Wasilewski - Trio

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’m very happy for you. How much do you think the artists are making to give you that access?

Sorry, I know this is legal and so there’s nothing wrong with what you’re doing. But when I read how thrilled you are to have access to all this music for so little money, it does make me realize that this is one big reason why artists are struggling more than they have, at least, in the last 60 years, to make any kind of living from the music they make.

I don’t mean this as disrespect to you...more as an observation of where musicians are today, with their work so greatly devalued.

But, again, it’s perfectly legal, so I’m not taking issue with you...I am, however, taking issue with sites like Spotify, who have, in one fell swoop, totally changed the landscape and ability for artists to make records. Let’s not forget that Pat Metheny’s From This Place, which is getting some discussion here at PE, is the guitarist’s first release of new music in 6 years...and, as I understand it, he has multiple other albums in the can that he hasn’t released during that time.

This really is a bad place we’re in, when it comes to music and those who make it.
    There’s still nothing quite like listening to an ECM album on CD or vinyl on a quality music system - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    There’s still nothing quite like listening to an ECM album on CD or vinyl on a quality music system - - -
    Or, now, high res studio master, also on a quality rig.
    John Kelman

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    It's pure magic. My Dad has some original vinyl and nothing compares.