Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Classical Composer and piece of music

Not counting Beeth-oven (the 5th, the glorious 9th, or the Emperor Concerto), I'd go with Rossini and the full-length (12 minutes or so) version of the William Tell Overture.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Iannis Xenakis (my avatar is a bit of a give-away)
    Favourite piece: Jonchaies
    This has the combination of Xenakis' beautiful weird microtonal harmonies and wildly pounding polyrhythmic riffing. Larks' Tounges in Apsic on steriods.

Banned
    ^^^

oooo... I like Xenakis and haven't heard that one. Will have to look it up. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. Tonight, while I'm working mega-OT on a project, I'm going with Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will work my way through them.

WAY too difficult to pick one composer and piece. My choice would change every time I answered.

Let me add, that my taste in classical is 100% in the 20th century and contemporary. Some of composers and pieces I like are a bit on the 'thorny' side, so, YMMV.

As previously mentioned, Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring would be up there.

So would Bartok, Music for strings, percussion and celesta.

Or Penderecki, 2nd violin concerto (Metamophosen)

Or:

Takimatsu- From Me Flows What You Call Time
    Something from Elliot Carter
    Joan Tower - Concerto for orchestra
    Alban Berg - Violin concerto
    Samuel Barber - 1st piano concerto
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Okay. I'm gonna lay some real rare boner heat on you:

TAKESHI INOMATA GROUP "JAZZ ROCK IN STRAVINSKY" 1970 Japan lp

Orchestra and group (including fuzz guitar!). Great sound & separation.
    Side 1 = Rite of Spring, side 2 = Petroushka

Heard one I really enjoyed yesterday on our local classical station

Symphonie Espagnole, OP.21
    Composer: Lalo
    Soloist:Tianwa Yang

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^

oooo... I like Xenakis and haven't heard that one. Will have to look it up. Thanks.
    All of the CDs with orchestral works by Tamayo and the Luxembourg Symph are worth digging into. Other great pieces like Ata, Horos, Krinoidi and the two piano "concertos" Erikhton and Synapiai all rock. It is amazing how Xenakis can make a hundred strong symphony orchestra sound like one huge instrument. A BBC DJ once described the experience as "being flattened by Xenakis".

Bruckner is my favorite classical composer. His symphonies are prog to me. Very church organ influenced, composed and structured like building the edifice of a great cathedral. Sustained long buildup to magnificent crescendos pacified by passages of calm reflection, only to build back up again to gargantuan epic climaxes. The 7th, 4th and 8th symphonies are especially sublime. In some of Wakeman's and Tony Banks' keyboard work, I can hear some Bruckner influences.

For some Bruckner in prog, there is Novalis - Impressionen

Not sure if it is just the head on the cover, or if there are also influences in the music

I couldn't pick just one either. But I will attempt a few explanations, for the op request.

Delius - North Country Sketches, Brigg Fair (grasps the moods of the outdoors like no other)
    Debussy - Arabesque (so beautiful)
    Ravel - several (not Bolero though)
    Vaughan-Williams - several
    Tony Banks (so shoot me, I love his music, both beautiful and his musical progressions seem to match the way I think) - City of Gold
    Last edited by bill g; 11-25-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Dimitri Shostakovich Symphony no. 10.

The most powerful musical statement I ever heard, right in the face of imminent Stalinism.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Dimitri Shostakovich Symphony no. 10.

The most powerful musical statement I ever heard, right in the face of imminent Stalinism.
    Oh man..............LOOOOOOVE Shost 10! Incredible. 10 is in my personal handful of my favourite DCSH symphonies, which is a tough proposition in and of itself since most of them are simple stellar-to-incredible. What a change from S9 as well, which was a very ironic symphony due to its war implications. I had no idea you were a DSCH admirer Richard - major bonus points right there my friend
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ Explanation coming later.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Bought the Barshai Shosty set, and I really like no. 13 (Babi Yar).

#13 has been my favourite for a while but #4 is real slow grower - its creeping up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Bought the Barshai Shosty set, and I really like no. 13 (Babi Yar).
    Barshai set is really excellent value for the money. Of course when you get any boxed set of hours upon hours of the same composer, there are moments here and there that you can gripe about. Its a great addition for anybody wanting to get to know DSCH inexpensively, but played and recorded well.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    #13 has been my favourite for a while but #4 is real slow grower - its creeping up on me.
    S4 might be my fav on some days. Its certainly top 3, no doubt. Glad you dig it. Keep listening, its an amazing piece of music. I believe its Mike Johnsons fav DSCH symphony (Thinking Pllague).
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Erik Satie-Messe Des Pauvres.Christopher Bowers-Broadbent on church organ.From an ECM cd.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Anton Bruckner, with his last 3 numbered Symphonies (7,8 and 9) as my favorite works of all time. They are the pinnacle of expression of what for me is music in the greatest form, The Symphony.
    Just about to hear what for me is a new recording of Sir John Barbirolli conducting the 8th from 1963, with combined BBC and Halle Orchestras-like, wow!
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Quote Originally Posted by presdoug View Post
    Anton Bruckner, with his last 3 numbered Symphonies (7,8 and 9) as my favorite works of all time. They are the pinnacle of expression of what for me is music in the greatest form, The Symphony.
    Just about to hear what for me is a new recording of Sir John Barbirolli conducting the 8th from 1963, with combined BBC and Halle Orchestras-like, wow!
    Kudos on your classical music taste! I agree, spot on. Monumental stuff per my earlier post.

Assuming we’re sticking to classical era music and not just orchestral compositions I’d have to give it to Smetana.
    One of my favorite pieces by him is the piano trio in G minor.
    https://youtu.be/qan_VNtLpjc

However outside of the realm of solely classical era music I quite enjoy Bartok, especially his string quartets which I’ve read were also large influences on a lot of progressive rock bands. My personal favorite of those string quartets is number four.
    https://youtu.be/mTnbrLXEGjI

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Kudos on your classical music taste! I agree, spot on. Monumental stuff per my earlier post.
    Hey, thanks! Was meaning to say the same about your posting...
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Beethoven all the way but nods to Samuel Barber, Jean Sibelius, and Dvorak. Favorite piece is harder to pick but Elgar's Cello piece as performed by Jackie du Pre gets me every time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You're new to classical music? You could do a lot worse than to delve into this list:

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/b...assic-wks.html

Chopin, no one can beat Chopin in my opinion, particularly the fourth ballade and the

nocturnes. i pretty much love everything he wrote!

http://www.bestpracticeamps.com/find...ctice-amp-100/