Thread: Icehouse/Marillion?

Icehouse/Marillion?

I saw Icehouse last night and it was a very enjoyable show. They played the title track from their most successful album, Man of Colours, and Iva Davies handed vocal duties to another band member, Michael Paynter. His phrasing (but not his voice) reminded me of Steve Hogarth, so I thought that there may be some Marillion/Icehouse fans who appreciate this version.
    Note the oboe solo from Iva Davies!

Here is another show...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I definitely see what you mean about his phrasing being like Hogarth's - seems like he might be a fan. I remember hearing about Icehouse in the 80s but can't remember anything of theirs I've heard. Probably some videos on MTV.

Icehouse got plenty of airplay in the 80s. The first album, which was excellent, and more akin to Ultravox/Visage, then the poppier stuff that garnered them a certain level of popularity in the USA, along with much exposure on Empty V.

was hoping this was an announcement for Marillion to play the club in Minneapolis

https://www.icehousempls.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I definitely see what you mean about his phrasing being like Hogarth's - seems like he might be a fan. I remember hearing about Icehouse in the 80s but can't remember anything of theirs I've heard. Probably some videos on MTV.
    Their big Stateside hit, circa 86-87 was called Crazy, and that was followed by two others from the same album, Electric Blue (co-written by John Oates, who also sings back up) and My Obsession. Apparently, Princess Diana was a fan, as she brought their first album along when on her honeymoon with Prince Chuck (or at least so said the publicity hype during the Man Of Colours era). I always thought the guitar solo on Crazy sounded like Fripp, but it doesn't appear to be him. I thought I had read that Eno produced one of their early 80's albums.

If I remember correctly, when VH-1 Classic first went on the year about 15 years ago, among the many obscurities they were playing (and which eventually they stopped playing) was a couple things off the first couple Icehouse albums, which as I recall, had that sort of early 80's British new wave/post-punk vibe to it. But I never got around to investigating anything beyond Man Of Colours.

Funny story: a few years ago, I was hanging out with a couple friends. So one of them says she found this old cassette that had a bunch of songs on it that she didn't recognize. So we're driving around, and she puts this tape in, and I'm not recognizing the songs. We're thinking the singer had obviously spent a lot of time listening to Ferry and Bowie, but neither of us could place who it was. So I memorized the words to a couple of the songs (not all of them, just one or two lines per song) so I could Google them when I got home. Then after, I don't know how long, the penny dropped. I say, "Holy crap, I think I just realized who this is. The singer sounds like Iva Davies, who was the lead vocalist of an Australian band called Icehouse. Therefore, I think this might be Icehouse!".

So I get home, and I do the Google thing, and ya know what? I was right. It was Icehouse. I forget what the names of the songs were, but one had the refrain "Don't dream it's over/Don't turn away". I do remember they were early 80's songs, predating their circa Man Of Colours Stateside success by a couple years or so , and the two songs were from two different albums, so whoever made the mix tape (apparently an old friend of Terri's) had apparently grabbed songs from at least two different sources. I just can't believe it took me that long to realize I was listening to Iva Davies.

Loved Icehouse. Primitive Man, for me, got things started. Trojan Blue and Great Southern Land stayed in rotation. I was very happy when Man of Colours brought them a bit of fame. Great band.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Here's a couple more Icehouse songs that got a lot of airplay: "Icehouse" (about as proggy as they ever got), from the debut album "Icehouse" (originally titled "Flowers" in Australia), and "Hey Little Girl", which probably fooled a lot of people into thinking it was a Roxy Music song. I have a compilation called "Masterfile", which covers the period up until "Man of Colours", and "Man of Colours". Yes, that guitarist did a good imitation of Fripp on "Crazy".

"No Promises" got airplay and Empty V love, circa 1985, if I'm not mistaken.

Just bought the expanded Man of Colours CD/DVD
    They seemed to fall off a cliff edge after that album!

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Here's a couple more Icehouse songs that got a lot of airplay: "Icehouse" (about as proggy as they ever got), from the debut album "Icehouse" (originally titled "Flowers" in Australia), and "Hey Little Girl", which probably fooled a lot of people into thinking it was a Roxy Music song. I have a compilation called "Masterfile", which covers the period up until "Man of Colours", and "Man of Colours". Yes, that guitarist did a good imitation of Fripp on "Crazy".
    I have Masterfile as well. Great collection. Let's not forget Street Café.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    from the debut album "Icehouse" (originally titled "Flowers" in Australia), .

They were originally called "Flowers" and released an album called "Icehouse". On gaining an international contract they changed their name to "Icehouse"
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "No Promises" got airplay and Empty V love, circa 1985, if I'm not mistaken.
    I remember “We Can Get Together,” “Hey Little Girl” and “Great Southern Land” also getting some rotation before “Crazy” and “Electric Blue” made them (borderline) stars. Their tunes were always worth waiting for.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I remember “We Can Get Together,” “Hey Little Girl” and “Great Southern Land” also getting some rotation before “Crazy” and “Electric Blue” made them (borderline) stars. Their tunes were always worth waiting for.
    I heard two songs from the first album on Cleveland's FM stations. They were in regular rotation on M105 for a while, and I liked the songs enough to buy the album. I checked Discogs for the American singles from that album, but damned if I can remember which ones they played locally.