Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Styx Wednesday Night

Saw Styx Wednesday Night

I posted this on the main board, but I know for some Styx's prog credentials are questionable, so please feel free to move it if needed.

I saw Styx at the State Theater in Kalamazoo MI Wednesday night. The State is a 1500 plus seat beautiful old theater, and was the show completely sold out. I have seen these guys quite a few times over the years and they always put on a great show. This one was billed as an evening with Styx, so there was no opening act. The band did two sets with an intermission. This lineup of Styx has been together for almost 20 years now, and they are a well-oiled machine. Original bass player Chuck Ponazzo was also on hand and joined the band for several songs throughout the night. Tommy Shaw still has an amazing voice and other than a few slight cracks during “Man In The Wilderness” he sounded really good all night. James Young’s voice has not held up as well, but he still sounds pretty good for the most part. Lawrence Gowan has now been with this band for so long that it would seem odd to see them without him at this point. Gowan remains a consummate showman, and seems to really enjoy what he is doing, and is a great keyboardist. Bassist Ricky Phillips and drummer Todd Sucharman are both great at what they do with Sucharman all over the place on the drum kit. The band has a fantastic new album in “The Mission” and they performed 4 tracks from it over the course of the evening. They also did a cool tribute to Tom Petty, and performed songs from throughout the band’s career. Having seen Styx the last time on a package tour, it was cool to see them have a full night to fill and be able to stretch out a bit. They had a nice production with big Styx backdrop and good lighting. The sound was a little mucked up at the beginning, as the keyboard was really buried, but they had it dialed in within a couple of songs and everything sounded good after that. I know a lot of people can’t accept Styx without Dennis Deyoung, but I can’t say that I missed him all that much. Gowan totally killed it on “Suite Madam Blue”, and handled most of the other Deyoung vocals with ease. All in all the show was a lot of fun, and it is nice to see an old classic act that can still bring a high quality energetic show. Here is the set list:

GONE GONE GONE
    BLUE COLLAR MAN
    THE GRAND ILLUSION
    FOOLING YOURSELF
    LADY
    RADIO SILENCE
    LORELEI
    MAN IN THE WILDERNESS
    LIGHT UP
    LOCOMOTIVE
    SUITE MADAM BLUE

INTERMISSION

MISS AMERICA
    LIGHTS
    FREE FALLIN (Tom Petty tribute)
    CRYSTAL BALL
    KHEDIVE
    THE OUTPOST
    PIECES OF EIGHT
    TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS
    BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (Gowan solo)
    GOLDEN SLUMBERS (Gowan solo)
    COME SAIL AWAY

ENCORE

ROCKIN THE PARADISE
    RENEGADE

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I had hoped to see Styx this summer but they didn't play near my hometown. I'm glad you enjoyed the show and I agree with your sentiments expressed. I think your lucky to have had the chance to see them again.

I saw Styx once around 2002-3 at one of those corndog events. They were good. But are they prog?

Got to see Styx a couple months ago (last outdoor show of the summer at my local venue). They do put on a really terrific show.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write-up. Great to read about one of my favorite bands from way back. It's good to know they're thriving.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    They were good. But are they prog?

Yes, every bit as prog as Kansas (which i know is another subject of debate (speaking of which, how did that one turn out?)).

Styx being prog or not is endlessly debatable but from all the various reports here and there it appears to be a general consensus that they are definitely a GREAT LIVE act.
    Since there are close to zero chances ever seeing them touring here in Europe is there any recommended DVD representative of their best live shows ?

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Yes, every bit as prog as Kansas
    Not by a long shot, in my opinion. I really like the first eight Styx albums and agree they dabble at times with some Proggy ideas. But to me they are really first and foremost a rock band. Styx have no real equivalents to pieces like Song for America, Incomudro, Magnum Opus, Mysteries & Mayhem/The Pinnacle, etc., etc. and the Proggy stuff is usually outbalanced on their albums buy more rock oriented stuff; the opposite of Kansas on those early albums. So to me, not Prog. But the debate around this will likely never end.

Glad to hear Styx still put on a good show. I saw them on the Paradise Revisited tour with Dennis, and they were awesome. Styx was actually my first rock concert back in September 1978, and they were great then as well. I was not especially blown away by their new album, and as much as I respect Gowan, it's just not the same for me without DeYoung. So I've never caught this lineup. But I'm glad they deliver the goods.

(which i know is another subject of debate (speaking of which, how did that one turn out?)).
    It was scientifically determined that early Kansas = Prog Rock, despite some leanings toward more basic rock on those albums. That debate can be put to rest. All five dentists agree.

Bill

Hard to believe I have never seen these guys live. I have seen Tommy Shaw solo, but never Styx proper.

Yes, every bit as prog as Kansas (which i know is another subject of debate (speaking of which, how did that one turn out?)).
    Back in the day......Styx led me to Kansas, which led me to everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Styx being prog or not is endlessly debatable but from all the various reports here and there it appears to be a general consensus that they are definitely a GREAT LIVE act.
    Since there are close to zero chances ever seeing them touring here in Europe is there any recommended DVD representative of their best live shows ?
    Their most recent DVD is “Live At The Orleans” in Las Vegas which came out about 2 years ago. It is very good, but a little short. “Grand Illusion / Pieces Of Eight” live is from 2011 and is very good. They do the two albums live in their entirety. Both of these DVD’s feature the current lineup of the band. If you are looking for something from the classic lineup “Caught In The Act Live” is a good one. It was recorded on the “Kilroy” tour (originally on VHS). There is also “Live With The Contemporary Youth Orchestra” from 2006 which is a cool concert filmed with orchestra featuring the current lineup.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't think Styx is a progressive rock album but they definitely had progressive tendencies throughout their career. Their latest, The Mission, is a more straight ahead rock album with great melodies and song craft. I think it's excellent.

I prefer Gowan as the lead singer/keyboardist. He has some decent solo music. I like this video, Moonlight Desires, that includes Jon Anderson as a guest vocalist:

Steve, how did the Mission come off live? I'd really make an effort to see Styx live if they played withing a couple of hours from Ottawa. Incredibly polished and professional live act with a deep catalog of music from my youth.

What does Ricky Phillips do when Chuck Panozzo plays? Is he even onstage?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Back in the day......Styx led me to Kansas, which led me to everything else.
    I'm not sure if Styx led me to anything. I was into things like Styx, Boston, ELO, Queen and Zeppelin. All "artsy" rock bands, but none were really considered "Prog" by anyone in my crowd. In early 1979, four or five months after I saw Styx, I got tickets to see Yes in April. I didn't know Yes at all. I went to a guy who lived down the street who was a year older than me who was into all the 70s bands, and asked him if I could borrow some Yes. He grinned and said, "oh, so you're getting into the Progressive rockers now?" This is how I know with certainty that the term "Progressive Rock" was used int he 70s. I'd actually heard the term before that, but this event I remember like yesterday.

Anyway, I saw Yes in April and the rest is history. It wasn't until I got into Yes that I circled back and heard Kansas, because I asked people what else I would like if I was into Yes/Progressive Rock. They recommended Kansas, Tull, UK, King Crimson, Genesis, and ELP (not necessarily in that order). Someone also recommended Gentle Giant, but it would be years before I actually took the plunge into their stuff. Note that no-one recommended Styx (or Queen, ELO, Boston, etc.), even though many of these people were also into those bands. People knew what I was talking about when I said music like Yes and/or Progressive Rock.

Bill

nice to see Suite Madam Blue being performed. That's one of my fav Styx tunes... always gives me goosebumps
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Steve, how did the Mission come off live? I'd really make an effort to see Styx live if they played withing a couple of hours from Ottawa. Incredibly polished and professional live act with a deep catalog of music from my youth.
    "The Mission" songs came off great. They did 4 tracks from the album (I wish they had done more). The audience was hard to read. The crowd stood through the majority of the show, but when they did the new songs many sat down. On the other hand there was not a mad rush to the bathrooms like you often see when old bands do new material, and they all seemed to get a nice round of applause afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    What does Ricky Phillips do when Chuck Panozzo plays? Is he even onstage?
    He has a double neck guitar that he plays. Mostly rhythm stuff, but he is still up there.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    nice to see Suite Madam Blue being performed. That's one of my fav Styx tunes... always gives me goosebumps
    They absolutely killed it. One of the highlights of the show. They ended the first set with it and it was a goosebump raising moment.

I found some pretty good video from the show on youtube if anyone is interested.

This "Man In The Wilderness". The little story Tommy is talking about at the beginning is when he used to live in Michigan. He owned a farm about 45 minutes from Kalamazoo for many years. This was the only song of the whole night where he had a little bit of vocal problems towards the end.

Chuck joining the band for "Fooling Yourself:

"Locomotive" from the new album:

One more the last half of "Suite Madam Blue". The video does not really capture how powerful this was, but you get the idea:

how did that one turn out?)).
    The majority agrees that Kansas is prog. But NogTheBad does not believe that Kansas are Prog.

He probably thinks Styx are bubblegum.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    They absolutely killed it. One of the highlights of the show. They ended the first set with it and it was a goosebump raising moment.
    good to hear!

only other song that wasn't played that I would have wanted to see is Castle Walls

I may hafta buy that GI/Po8 live video from a few years back
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I may hafta buy that GI/Po8 live video from a few years back
    It's definitely worth your money. Excellent video and performance!

Here is an excellent full show from 1997 featuring the original band with drummer Todd Sucherman replacing John Panozzo, who had recently died. Great version of Suite Madame Blue begins at 28:10.