Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misconceptions

Misconceptions

I never knew Python Lee Jackson was a band, and not the nickname of The Nice's bassist Lee Jackson.

"You know that band, Steely Dan?"
    "Yeah."
    "Do you know its only TWO GUYS!"
    "Well, Fagen and Becker are the songwri..."
    "Only two guys on those records!"
    "Well, two songwriters, yes, but there are studio musicia..."
    "CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW LONG IT MUST TAKE FOR ONLY TWO GUYS TO RECORD ALL THOSE PARTS?"
    "Its more than two gu..."
    "TWO GUYS! TWO FUCKIN' GUYS!"
    "Help!"
    "THEY DO IT ALL, MAN! IN-FREAKIN'-CREDIBLE!"

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember back before I'd ever heard The Grateful Dead I thought the name sounded kind of ominous, and since I'd heard them called Acid Rock, I expected all their music to be dark and loud, and angry. Then in college I had friends who were into them and I got into them and I realized it was songs like Uncle John's Band, which my grandmother probably would have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    songs like Uncle John's Band, which my grandmother probably would have liked.
    Even when they swear?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I never knew Python Lee Jackson was a band, and not the nickname of The Nice's bassist Lee Jackson.
    Python Lee Jackson was Rod Stewart.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Python Lee Jackson was Rod Stewart.
    Wrong.

Rod Stewart sang on their album
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Uhhhh, how do I approach this??? Was “python” a term of, um, endearment?

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember back before I'd ever heard The Grateful Dead I thought the name sounded kind of ominous, and since I'd heard them called Acid Rock, I expected all their music to be dark and loud, and angry. Then in college I had friends who were into them and I got into them and I realized it was songs like Uncle John's Band, which my grandmother probably would have liked.
    Same here. In fact, decades ago, I came in after a night of beer swilling and skirt chasing to find my dad watching, and thoroughly enjoying, the Grateful Dead on (I believe) Austin City Limits.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Randy Jackson, musician. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Wrong.

Rod Stewart sang on their album
    I'm so sorry about that mate, I should know better than to tangle with Google. I do have the 45 from back in the day...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I enjoyed his playing the couple of times I saw him playing in Jean-Luc Ponty's band in the early '80s.

The bassist Lindsay Cooper often was mistaken for reed-player Lindsay Cooper. In fact I think both played with Mike Oldfield at different times?

I bought a Christian folk album by a guitarist named Mark Lang, thinking it was the same Mark Lang who did "Texas John Boscoe" in 1976.

I bought the French band Et Cetera thinking it was Wolfgang Daunier's Et Cetera.

Steve Miller -- of Miller/Coxhill Coxhill/Miller fame -- is not the same Steve Miller as Phil Miller's brother, nor the American rock guitarist, nor the British electronica artist, nor the American blues pianist, nor several other Steves, Stevens or Stephen MIllers. Oh wait -- another misconception. The first two I mentioned are in fact one-and-the-same.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Tito was a better musician. And Paula Abdul is a better judge.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The bassist Lindsay Cooper often was mistaken for reed-player Lindsay Cooper. In fact I think both played with Mike Oldfield at different times?
    One’s a man and one’s a woman.

I bought the French band Et Cetera thinking it was Wolfgang Daunier's Et Cetera.
    At least you didn’t buy an album by Polish boy-band Magma thinking it was Christian Vander’s crew. Not that I did, but I remember that Amazon was selling one of their albums, which some people did mistake for the other Magma:

In their defense, to the untrained eye, Polish does look an awful lot like Kobaïan!

Steve Miller -- of Miller/Coxhill Coxhill/Miller fame -- is not the same Steve Miller as Phil Miller's brother, nor the American rock guitarist, nor the British electronica artist, nor the American blues pianist, nor several other Steves, Stevens or Stephen MIllers. Oh wait -- another misconception. The first two I mentioned are in fact one-and-the-same.
    How about the keyboard-playing Michael Boddicker? Same as the baseball-playing Michael Boddicker?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I'm so sorry about that mate, I should know better than to tangle with Google. I do have the 45 from back in the day...
    No problems.

I have actually seen a (pirate?) copy of their album on CD with Rod Stewart as the artist. No mention of PLJ at all.
    I suppose RS is a better selling angle than PLJ.

^It is as it was then. The story I heard was that in the late 60s, he did a guest vocal of 'In A Broken Dream' as a favour (you can hear a wobble here and there). But of course after 'Maggie May' etc., Stewart was a commercial hot property, so out it came again.

I can't even count the number of times (especially in the early 70s) that I heard stuff like, "Yeah, Jethro Tull, he's really good, but what a weird dude!".

To a lesser extent (and Gravedigger alluded to it), the same was true of Steely Dan, including the drunk black dude on the Live Across America album who never uses any other pronoun than "he" in his hilarious intro.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

This is in no way prog related, but I used to think that orchestra conductor Bernard Hermann in the BBC TV music-hall show 'The Good Old Days' was the same Bernard Hermann who wrote soundtracks for 'Psycho' and 'Taxi Driver' among numerous others.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    .....the same was true of Steely Dan, including the drunk black dude on the Live Across America album who never uses any other pronoun than "he" in his hilarious intro.
    There's quite a story about that guy. His name was Jerome Aniton, and he was originally a truck driver for the band, but was so drunk, and so often drunk they replaced him in that capacity. However, the entire band found him hilarious - among other things, he thought that Donald Fagen was "Stevie Dan" and could not be set straight - so they kept him on as a sort of court fool. And they gave him the job of coming out in a red velvet suit and introducing "Stevie Dan" with an inebriated, incoherent version of a big James Brown buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    This is in no way prog related, but I used to think that orchestra conductor Bernard Hermann in the BBC TV music-hall show 'The Good Old Days' was the same Bernard Hermann who wrote soundtracks for 'Psycho' and 'Taxi Driver' among numerous others.
    You mean he isn't???

This is too embarassing, I could fill pages. Just a sample: I had no idea for decades that Cadence and Cascade wasn't sung by Lake, I hadn't paid attention to the inner sleeve.

Which ones Pink.

For years I was under the misconception that Screaming Lord Sutch was some kind of great performer and impresario in that he got all these great stars to play with him. All my high school pals were really into him and his ... and Friends album. Years later I learned that he was some lunatic nut who put out novelty records that weren't all that good and was a poor imitation of Screamin' Jay Hawkins.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.