Thread: Suburban Savages

Suburban Savages

Didn't know them until a friend mailed me a sample, yesterday. They seem to be from Norway and what I've heard is exquisite. RIO with a mid period Gentle Giant touch, some Happy the Man and a pop refinement! Any additional info please?

Last edited by spacefreak; 11-12-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Only what's in this earlier PE thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...highlight=kore

Not bad at all, Spyros. Thanks for posting. I'll have to track it down.

[QUOTE=spacefreak;751553]Didn't know them until a friend mailed me a sample, yesterday. They seem to be from Norway and what I've heard is exquisite. RIO with a mid period Gentle Giant touch, some Happy the Man and a pop refinement! Any additional info please?

This is actually their second album -their first self-titled album was released in 2007 and went under the longer name of Tr-ond and the Surburban Savages. I loved that one so much I bought the new one as soon as it came out but was disappointed by it. Nothing really wrong with it, it just sounded too much like the first one. But maybe I'd better dig it out and have another listen, I might be misjudging it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They are about half of Panzerpappa, nice album & good people. I'm a fan.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They started out as Trond Gjellum's (Panzer drummer) solo venture - more or less. His initial demos for the project were him alone. They later developed into a full band proper, with Anders Krabberød on bass (also from Pz), on/off-keysman for Pz Hans Petter Danielsen, and Thomas Meidell of the Samuel Jackson Five on guitars. There are a couple of other guys'n'dolls involved these days, like Ketil Einarsen (of Jaga, WWillow, Wobbler, Motorpsycho, you name 'em) on flute and Nina Kaldhol on guitars.

Quite an original and idiosyncratic stew, the SS merge electronica (go laptops!), pronky RIO-antics, some post-rock moves and out'n'out pop music. They're good and solid fun, and give a great performance. Both of their official albums as well as earlier CD-Rs are well worth tracking down. Challenging and highly inviting at the same time, they've scored notable successes among younger hipster folks of the capital. Believe it or not.

The recent album is actually not really "new" at all, as the recordings were finished already in 2013. Trond told me a week-or-so ago that they are already working on a followup to be released in 2018.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The recent album is actually not really "new" at all, as the recordings were finished already in 2013. Trond told me a week-or-so ago that they are already working on a followup to be released in 2018.
    Good news.
    SS are hands down Norway's best avant-pop/avant-prog group. Brilliant stuff, witty, clever, melodic and warm all at the same time.

An excellent record that I need to have in vinylic form (Spyros, do something!). Lots of zeuhl influences too, apart from what has already been mentioned - and occasional, beautiful Vanderisms on the drums.

I can understand the appeal on "normal", non-prog people. This is not prog in the sense of the secluded, little musical corner that is considered prog by others and - unfortunately - by many of us. I could play this to some of my friends and maybe they'd like it...until I told them it is prog, and then they would hate it. Because they hate prog.

Bands like these Savages are the authentic heirs of the great 70's rock music tradition. It is not over yet. Uncle Francesco approves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I could play this to some of my friends and maybe they'd like it...until I told them it is prog, and then they would hate it. Because they hate prog.
    But they can not be allowed to continue hating prog. Therefore, you must trick them into admitting to enjoying the SS, and then, after mockingly presenting to them how logics then define them as having liked prog, immediately stress this by playing one of those fantastic 73-minute hyper-epics by Transatlantic. 'Cause it's so prog. In fact, by moving past the mark of 71:06 and onto 71:54, it's exactly 48 seconds more prog than it was before arriving at that commencing point. This makes it kinda double prog, which means that we who love prog get to love it 200%.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But they can not be allowed to continue hating prog. Therefore, you must trick them into admitting to enjoying the SS, and then, after mockingly presenting to them how logics then define them as having liked prog, immediately stress this by playing one of those fantastic 73-minute hyper-epics by Transatlantic. 'Cause it's so prog. In fact, by moving past the mark of 71:06 and onto 71:54, it's exactly 48 seconds more prog than it was before arriving at that commencing point. This makes it kinda double prog, which means that we who love prog get to love it 200%.
    they say the longer the better, but I seriously doubt they were referring to this.

A friend of mine, with a different musical background, and not devoid of good taste as a human being, was prompted by me to listen to The Winstons, since he's such a huge fan of Robert Wyatt. He listened to this once (or so he says) and decided that it is not to his taste. In fact, although he owns all solo efforts of Wyatt and truly adores him, he doesn't like Soft Machine and has hardly ever listened to it! It's prog, you see! But it's his loss, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    although he owns all solo efforts of Wyatt and truly adores him, he doesn't like Soft Machine and has hardly ever listened to it! It's prog, you see!
    Well, it's a mental barrier as much as one of social distinction etc. Although these are very obviously intertwined. I mean, I was once in my early teens set on denying the values of saxophone in rock music; at some point I'd simply decided that they were awful instruments to look at and listen to. There was also the slight fellatio-complex gay-fear and autosexual protectionism involved at that. However, after having met a person whom I respected immensely and who offered me an outline as to the possibilities of sax power (by spinning me Material, IIRC), I went head-on to confront the prejudice and demasque it. And it worked; I'd like to think that from that time on, I turned a complete corner and realized that I would no longer let my tastes be blurred by daft vision. Gut feeling, perhaps, but not eyesight. In other words, ideally and in principle, anything goes. Even cookie-monster vox. Melodicas galore. Bagpipe sonatas.

Well, with the possible exception of Kenny's soprano. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Only what's in this earlier PE thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...highlight=kore
    Haven't noticed it. Thanks!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm happy with SS, as long as it doesn't get in the way of there being more from Panzerpappa. Someone tell me it won't?!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It won't
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I've seen this album online somewhere, a while ago, but did not pay too much attention to it. Boy, was I wrong. This is exceptional material. Listening to "Guzarondan" right now. What a wonderful track!!! The guitar solo at the end, oh my! Yummy!!!

Wow! Thank you for all those kind words. Suburban Savages lives perfectly well together with Panzerpappa, and both bands are planning releases in 2018. In fact, Panzerpappa are going to release an two track ep in December.

I only wish SubSav would play more gigs!

Hearing both albums and the CD-Rs this evening, and there's great 'weirdhead party-factor here'!

I mean, there's just so much fun about the whole vibe in this stuff, and despite the Zamla/BDrake/MomoRossel/Ralph Rec (whatever) influence, it's a very personal type of style and humour. Such great stuff, Trond! "Docteur Mago" is wonderful in spirit and release. A new and different way of expressing both joy and melancholy - or emotion in general.