Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who are the biggest touring acts in prog today?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Steven Wilson
    Yes I had him right in the first post. Definitely right up there...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not everyone considers Muse prog, but I would say they are at least prog oriented, and they can fill big arenas (and stadiums) around the world.

I would also argue that at least some of what Umphrey’s Mcgee does is prog and they are constantly touring and selling out large venues.
    Yes that's why I mentioned them also in the first post but I am new here and not totally sure how people react so I suggested a 'prog related' list at least. Any other suggestions?

I would also add people like McLaughlin, Di Meola, Metheny and Chick Corea for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Yes that's why I mentioned them also in the first post but I am new here and not totally sure how people react so I suggested a 'prog related' list at least. Any other suggestions?

I would also add people like McLaughlin, Di Meola, Metheny and Chick Corea for that matter.
    I did not notice Muse in the first post until I just went back and looked. As for what people here consider "prog"........let's just say it is all over the map.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd go with Muse, King Crimson, Tool, Radiohead, Iron Maiden, Roger Waters
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Biggest = Quantity?

Yes surprised me a couple of summers ago. When they did their Tales+Drama tour, they played at the Ohio state fair and there must have been at least 8000 people there, maybe 10K or more. Really shocked to see such a large turnout for what was basically Steve Howe plus friends doing some of the more obscure Yes pieces.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Biggest = Quantity?
    I'm now trying to figure this out too. If it's the number of shows in an average year I'll bet Marillion surpasses the bands Ian mentions above. If it's the number of tickets sold, hard to say, but Marillion probably outsells Roger Waters over the last several years.

Peter Gabriel?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Yes surprised me a couple of summers ago. When they did their Tales+Drama tour, they played at the Ohio state fair and there must have been at least 8000 people there, maybe 10K or more. Really shocked to see such a large turnout for what was basically Steve Howe plus friends doing some of the more obscure Yes pieces.
    I was there!!! Jay Schellen was a breath of fresh air. I thought the band was VERY good that night!!! (Especially the Tales material.)
    Prog's Not Dead

Does Radiohead count?
    Prog's Not Dead

I would include Radiohead, though I'm not sure they tour very often.

Prog-related, I would also include Phish, who can still sell a lot of tickets, and play plenty of proggy music. I'm still in awe of the fact they played a 13 show residency at MSG this past summer (2 1/2 hrs of music each) without repeating a song - 237 songs in all. That's a pretty progressive achievement, imo. Here is Rolling Stone's recap:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-recap-w496328

Some good discussion in here so far, thanks everyone.

I think it's fair to include bands like Umphrey's, Muse, Radiohead, Phish, Iron Maiden as well as groups like Deep Purple (especially with Airey and Morse writing Dregs like sections at times these days) in at least the prog related list, if not the full on prog list. One might also add people like McLaughlin, di Meola, Bela Fleck, Metheny, Hancock etc depending on the project as well.

So for the upper end of the spectrum, I have a pretty good idea about a lot of the numbers since Pollstar publishes the top 200 North American touring acts each year by revenue as well as the top 100 worldwide.

On that list (depending on the year) you definitely see Rush, Maiden, Roger Waters, Gabriel, Muse, Phish, Purple, Radiohead as well as David Gilmour a bit further down (when he tours, even not having done many shows) and a bit lower down, Yes, Tool and Umphrey's.

It's after the names above that it gets a bit more speculative as I simply have been looking at venue sizes and tour info from the bands themselves.

In that next category, bands that play regularly in venues at around 3,000 or so, we find Dream Theater, Crimson and Opeth.

Then we have a few bands like Steven Wilson, Kansas, Marillion and Steve Hackett who do anywhere from 1000 to 2000 on average and who vary according to the geographical market.

I didn't really discuss symphonic/power metal in here (my regional prog association tends to list those shows on their events page so bands like Nightwish or Kamelot and so on) but they would also go into one of the 2 sections immediately above.

After that, I'm not sure what else is missing. A band like Brit Floyd actually makes Pollstar's list and is playing Radio City Music Hall but I didn't include them or other Floyd tributes or the Musical Box etc. Perhaps they belong on there as well.

I also was trying to come up with names of bands who are from somewhere besides North America or Great Britain and who can do a decent amount of touring outside their home territory. Magma came to mind and possibly PFM but not much else other than in the more metal related area (Nightwish or Meshuggah etc). None of these non Anglophone bands can tour in the 1,000 plus range to my knowledge.

If anyone has more comments or suggestions I would be interested to know more.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tribalfusion; 11-13-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    After Crying recently sold out the Budapest Music Center (looks like over 1,000).

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    After Crying recently sold out the Budapest Music Center (looks like over 1,000).
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/hungary...1494679/359522

Are you referencing this place? It describes capacity at 350 but either way, can After Crying tour anywhere outside of Hungary? I was asking about bands who are from somewhere besides North America or Great Britain and who can do a decent amount of touring outside their home territory.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/hungary...1494679/359522

Are you referencing this place? It describes capacity at 350 but either way, can After Crying tour anywhere outside of Hungary? I was asking about bands who are from somewhere besides North America or Great Britain and who can do a decent amount of touring outside their home territory.
    Yes. I only saw pictures and it looked much larger. I'm not sure how much AC tours outside of Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes. I only saw pictures and it looked much larger. I'm not sure how much AC tours outside of Hungary.
    From what I could find, they have done a few one-offs through the years outside of Hungary. I don't think they can actually tour France, Germany or the US for example.

That's the case with almost all the current prog bands outside of the Anglophone world: maybe a gig or 2 of decent size right where they are located but rarely an actual tour and at most, some festival dates.

I'd love to see some counter examples though with bands from non Anglophone countries besides Opeth, Magma or more metal-ish bands.

I didn't really discuss symphonic/power metal in here (my regional prog association tends to list those shows on their events page so bands like Nightwish or Kamelot and so on) but they would also go into one of the 2 sections immediately above.

Thanks!
    I have tickets to see Nightwish in my home town in the spring. It is a 1500 seat venue, which as you mention, would fit into your category.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'd go with Muse, King Crimson, Tool, Radiohead, Iron Maiden, Roger Waters
    Not necessarily agreeing with PA, so I'd eliminate most of these in that list only to keep Waters and Crimson

In term of sheer size, Waters beats them all... probably edging Gilmour by a small margin.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have tickets to see Nightwish in my home town in the spring. It is a 1500 seat venue, which as you mention, would fit into your category.
    Cool, enjoy! Do people on here generally like them?

Cool, enjoy! Do people on here generally like them?
    I can’t say that I have seen a ton of Nightwish discussion here, but I know there are at least some fans.

Do people on here generally like [Nightwish]?
    We are the ones whose kids like Nightwish.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Billboard publish a weekly list of concert attendances at http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore , although what gets listed there seems a bit random (mostly US, but some non-US, for example), and it's not that week's concerts, just what was reported that week which may be from some time back. This week's lists a Renaissance show on 28 Oct as having sold 1,113 tickets. There's a Phish show at 49,817 tickets! And another at 10,375 tickets. There's a Sigur Ros show in Belgium that sold 8,388. A Moody Blues show at 8,640 (listed below the Sigur Ros show as it grossed less money) and others by them at 7,108; 4,747; 3,725; and 1,833. There's a Jethro Tull/Ian Anderson show at 2,626. There's a Dream Theater show at 2,560.

I try to keep an eye on that to track Yes attendances. Most Yes shows these days are in the 1-2k range, with some larger (their final US summer date in 2014 sold 4252 tickets), although I've not seen any Yestival dates reported yet and they were booked into somewhat bigger venues. The ARW dates I've seen reported so far are in the same range. I've seen a few Crimson dates reported recently, and they're doing better: the 28 Jun Chicago show sold 3,165 tickets, the 31 Oct show sold 1,294 tickets, but their 5 nights in Mexico City in Jul were reported as a combined figures of 14,638 tickets, so an average of 2900 per show.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I can’t say that I have seen a ton of Nightwish discussion here, but I know there are at least some fans.
    A great live act- with a handful of epics (including a 24-minute track on their latest studio release).
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 11-17-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

I think sadly you also have to take into account the U.S.'s current stance on touring. Agents won't touch new foreign prog bands so there is little chance of any of the new bands supporting major acts or hitting radio (which is a closed shop anyway) so the vast playing fields of the 70's and 80's are long gone. For a new band to play in the USA they must have an agent, an attorney, a sponsor and 3 years of dates! Add to this visas for all the band costing approx $3000 dollars each. As a result the U.S. has been starved of new prog for many years. Canada on the other hand.... you just walk in. Such a shame as there is such a vast wealth of talent on the new prog scene.