Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Songs You Like the Least from Bands You Like the Most

What the hecks were there Byrds thinking (drinking) when they recorded "Lay, Lady, Lay." And then if that were not bad enough, they layered on a gospel choir! Aaaah!! It is absolutely awful.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^'Kokomo' doesn't bother me that much. Worth having for Carl Wilson's vocals in the chorus. This band have recorded some pretty much objective garbage and people get bent out of shape about 'Kokomo'? The 1985 album is indeed appalling save for 'Getcha Back'. I am not brave enough to delve into the two/three which followed that in the 80s and 90s.
    I guess I just get bugged when any of my bands do the Barry Manilow thing. You do have a point about Carl's vocal on Kokomo, though, his vocals were always awesome.

And I too haven't bothered with anything after the eponymous album. The only reason I've even heard it in it's entirety was that it was issued as a twofer with Keepin' The Summer Alive, which was the album I really wanted.
    The Barry Williams Show
    I'm not a huge Gabriel fan, but I do agree that's one of the lesser songs I've heard from him. ANd I think he made a mistake by not actually having Barry Williams play the talk show host in the video (according to Wikipedia video, he's in the video, but for some inexplicable reason he plays an audience member).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The 1985 album is indeed appalling save for 'Getcha Back'.
    I'm going to agree, though I'm going to put in a word for "I'm So Lonely" just so there's ONE Brian Wilson-penned song I can listen to from that album (Landy-poison notwithstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Genesis: In Too Deep, similar attempt at trying to out Manilow Manilow, with similarly icky results.
    When I ripped "Invisible Touch" to my iPod, I left that one out. I even kept the title track, for crying out loud. "In Too Deep" is just so phony. There's no emotion in it at all. It's like, "What, don't the DX7s and synth drums and Phil singing breathily make you all teary-eyed?!!"

For me, let's see...

Yes, "The Ancient." Sorry, I've tried. All you crazy knucklehead jazzheads can have the first twelve minutes of that shit. I can't deal with it at all. It's the musical representation of a terminal disease. I eventually cut off the last six minutes (aka "Leaves of Green") and made it its own song.

Rush, "By-Tor and the Snow Dog," "Rivendell," "In The End" and "The Necromancer." Boy, those guys were really trying in those days, weren't they? Really doing their best to be arty and just sounding ridiculous and/or boring.

Queen, "Get Down Make Love" and "Body Language". I hated when Freddie tried to write "sexy" songs.

Jethro Tull, "Kissing Willie." Ian... keep that to yourself, okay?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

Yes, "The Ancient." Sorry, I've tried. All you crazy knucklehead jazzheads can have the first twelve minutes of that shit. I can't deal with it at all. It's the musical representation of a terminal disease.
    I think Tales gets better & better as it progresses across its four sides. Side 1 is a largely disappointing revisit of Close to the Edge, without the scintillating dynamics of that song. Side 2 has some interesting parts, especially from around halfway through, but is hampered by too many longuers. But it's on the second disc where things really take off, & that brief window of thrilling musical experimentation is thrown open wide. Sides 3 & 4 of Tales & the two sides of Relayer offer a remarkable vision of a band Yes almost became...

With regard to JJ88' 's dislike for The Crunge - it's always been one of my Zeppelin favourites - they always had this deep, funky, thing which came primarily from the rhythm section, & it's no surprise than Bonham is one of the most sampled drummers of them all by the dance & hip hop kids. Plant is, in effect, scat vocalling, as if across an extended bridge. They drew on such an extraordinary wealth of musical influences - even the clumsy D'yer Maker evokes Plant's early love of Alton Ellis & other ska musicians from his youth in the Black Country. Here, there's laughing delight in the way they channel the James Brown groove.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Maybe "Mommy leave the light on" or " Bavarian Skies" by The Flower Kings from Paradox Hotel
    Good call! I remember thinking, "after countless albums, TFK have finally made two songs I actively dislike to the point of skipping them..." But the rest of the album is great, though.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Roughly half of Presto and Roll The Bones by Rush.
    80% of Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows!! And "Rivendell".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Lessee.

Pre-"Love Beach" ELP: "Are You Ready Eddie"
    The Who: "A Man in a Purple Dress"
    Genesis: "Misunderstanding", "Whodunnit"
    King Crimson: "Ladies of the Road"
    Terry Kath era Chicago: Most of the Peter Cetera ballads.
    David Bowie: "Let's Dance"
    Peter Gabriel: "Mercy Street"

That's enough to be going on with, then.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Any song on any of the three YesWest albums. And "Teakbois." (I count ABWH as Yes)

"Rock n' Roll Music" by Humble Pie, from Street Rats. Dreadful cover with Greg Ridley on vocals.

"Just You and Me", "Critic's Choice" and "Skinny Boy" from Kath-era Chicago.

I guess I just get bugged when any of my bands do the Barry Manilow thing.
    I don't. I appreciate and enjoy some Barry Manilow songs.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And don't even get me started on Kokomo.
    It's less annoying than all that falsetto crap one of the most overrated bands ever did in the 60s.

XTC "Reign Of Blows"

Maybe the only XTC song I don't love.

Genesis "Say It's Alright Joe"

What the hell?

Yes "Big Generator"

The whole album pales in comparison to 90125 but that title track. Truly awful.

Jethro Tull "Back-Door Angel"

Just bad.
    The Prog Corner

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I married the biggest Barry Manilow fan in the world, and I'm the biggest Barry Manilow hater there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Me too. That long 'Could It Be Magic' is a masterpiece. Made me reassess what I thought of him completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'll start things off with my favorite band: The Beatles.

There are a lot of songs many would choose with which I have no problem. "Mr. Moonlight," "Revolution 9" ...

But, for me, it's "Do You Want to Know a Secret?"
    Probably my favourite band too, but the one song of theirs that comes to mind that I truly hate is "Run For Your Life". It leaves a bad taste every time I hear it and ruins what is otherwise a stellar album.

Ok, it doesn't actually ruin Rubber Soul, but you know what I mean!

^Lennon didn't like it either and cringed about lifting a line from 'Baby Let's Play House' wholesale. 'It's Only Love' is another one he hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    What the hecks were there Byrds thinking (drinking) when they recorded "Lay, Lady, Lay." And then if that were not bad enough, they layered on a gospel choir! Aaaah!! It is absolutely awful.
    I think that suffers from McGuinn's singing more than anything. I love the Byrds. For me, it's probably their cover of "Hey Joe."

I'm really struggling finding songs from other favorites of mine that fit the topic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

But, for me, it's "Do You Want to Know a Secret?"
    I'll take that song over a few Beatles songs/tracks (like Revolution 9, Octopus's Garden).

Led Zeppelin, "D'Yer Mak'er" by a long, long way. Followed by "Hot Dog".
    Yes "Circus of Heaven"
    Genesis "More Fool Me", "Your Own Special Way", "Scenes from a Night's Dream", "Snowbound"

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

With regard to JJ88' 's dislike for The Crunge - it's always been one of my Zeppelin favourites - they always had this deep, funky, thing which came primarily from the rhythm section, & it's no surprise than Bonham is one of the most sampled drummers of them all by the dance & hip hop kids. Plant is, in effect, scat vocalling, as if across an extended bridge. They drew on such an extraordinary wealth of musical influences - even the clumsy D'yer Maker evokes Plant's early love of Alton Ellis & other ska musicians from his youth in the Black Country. Here, there's laughing delight in the way they channel the James Brown groove.
    I get why The Crunge is disliked but I'm one of the few who likes it too. Maybe it should've been on Fizz Graff instead, but it's still a great track. I dig how they made the song "undanceable."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I think the closest King Crimson ever came to doing a song I really dislike is "People."
    I like it a lot.
    Fantastic Riff, so tightly excuted by Bruford & Levin (couldn'be played by any other drummer), and a great Beatles pastiche as ending.

Todd Rundgren - 'The wheel' on Another Live is horrible, and placed between the two best tracks on that album. .

Early Chicago - Free form guitar
    Jean Michel Jarre - Waiting for Cousteau
    Beatles - Revolution no 9
    Kayak - Lovely Luna

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Queen, "Get Down Make Love" and "Body Language". I hated when Freddie tried to write "sexy" songs.
    Yeah, but those two are just so tacky, it takes on a different dimension, it's almost like watching an Ed Wood movie (in the case of Body Language, that aspect is accentuated with the video). Get Down Make Love also has that interlude in the middle, which gives a bit of a Whole Lotta Love kinda vibe, which I always liked. Body Language has that cool synth bass line.
    Jethro Tull, "Kissing Willie." Ian... keep that to yourself, okay?
    I remember when that one came out, there was a report on some tabloid TV show about how MTV had banned the video and how "we can't even say the song title on the air". I thought the title must be something really racy, so I was kinda disappointd to find out apparently you can't say "Kissing Willie" on American television. There seemed to be another lay of "shock" that went along besides the usual, "Well, that's just plain filthy" round of responses to anything risque that comes along, like it was somehow even filthier or more obscene because it was being done by a band who were all in their late 40's or early 50's at the time.
    I appreciate and enjoy some Barry Manilow songs.
    Well, I'm not talkign about Manilow himself. He's very good at what he does, and I'd never criticize him for doing that. What i criticize are rock groups who suddenly decide they want to make adult contemporary music. It's not even the balladry, there's a lot of really good rock ballads out there, but there's also a lot of bands who sound like they turned into their parents or something. I mean, honestly, there's a world of difference between Afterglow and In Too Deep, if you ask me.
    Probably my favourite band too, but the one song of theirs that comes to mind that I truly hate is "Run For Your Life". It leaves a bad taste every time I hear it and ruins what is otherwise a stellar album.
    Yeah, that's kind of a creepy song, isn't it?

Guitargeek's list is pretty good. I'll add:

Beatles - Rocky Raccoon
    Zeppelin - Hats Off to Roy Harper
    The Who - Squeeze Box, In the Ether
    The Rolling Stones - Melody - Black n' Blue was a clusterfuck, an audition for a new guitar player with Keef staggering around without a clue and Mick not finding a worthy collaborator. Melody shows that Billy Preston was not going to fit the bill. It's hard to believe that after this album they actually got their shit together enough to do Some Girls.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^That's definitely a weird period for The 'Stones, even live. Billy Preston did two (!) songs and noodles synth all over 'Brown Sugar'.

'In The Ether' made me laugh when I first heard it. The song is not bad but that ludicrous Tom Waits impersonator vocal should have been canned.