Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deluge Grander - Oceanarium (2017)

Deluge Grander - Oceanarium (2017)

http://emkog.com/DelugeGrander.html

Not sure on a release date for this yet (supposed to be sometime this month) but there are some samples up and they sound excellent, though I'm waiting for the full thing to drop. So far sounds like the other DG stuff, you can tell right away what you're listening to here. Kudos for going balls out and filling the CD to the brim. Could be one of the best albums of the year.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Nifty
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Looking forward to this.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    http://emkog.com/DelugeGrander.html

Not sure on a release date for this yet (supposed to be sometime this month).
    ours are due any day.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Looking forward to this one. Dan Britton usually delivers quality.
    The Prog Corner

Excellent news - looking forward to this.
    Regards,

Duncan

I was just thinking about this band the other day....

According to Dan's press-release the CD's will be released November 15th, while the double-LP will be out a few weeks later.

Although Oceanarium is quite a long album, it's not heavy or hard to listen to.
    It's beautiful arranged with plenty of fine theme's and short soloing.
    It has a kind of small orchestra-sound, created by horns, violins, cello's, flutes, Mellotron-strings and wonderful percussion. Of course there's a lot of guitar, bass and drums too, but it never gets over the top.
    Dan mentioned Kenso as one of the bands DG can be compared with and indeed in a track like Finding A Shipwreck In A Valley In An Ocean there's a typical Japanese prog-melody.
    Other bands mentioned in the bio are Miriodor, King Crimson, Maneige and Kotebel.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    According to Dan's press-release the CD's will be released November 15th, while the double-LP will be out a few weeks later.

Although Oceanarium is quite a long album, it's not heavy or hard to listen to.
    It's beautiful arranged with plenty of fine theme's and short soloing.
    It has a kind of small orchestra-sound, created by horns, violins, cello's, flutes, Mellotron-strings and wonderful percussion. Of course there's a lot of guitar, bass and drums too, but it never gets over the top.
    Dan mentioned Kenso as one of the bands DG can be compared with and indeed in a track like Finding A Shipwreck In A Valley In An Ocean there's a typical Japanese prog-melody.
    Other bands mentioned in the bio are Miriodor, King Crimson, Maneige and Kotebel.
    King Crimson, Kenso and Kotebel. Sounds about right.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    King Crimson, Kenso and Kotebel. Sounds about right.
    That sounds like something I need to check out!

I should mention it's especially KC's early '70's period I hear, so no Discipline-like rhythms or nu-metal riffs.

Dan's earlier Deluge Grander albums had a different and distinctive sense of musical structure, which I found one of their strongest points. It's hard to describe or explain, except to say that while highly melodic, the pieces are not song-like. Unlike much or even most instrumental rock/prog, the various sections of his music do not sound like some sort of "verse" or some sort of "chorus"; they sound more like classical themes that flow onward, unfold, and transform. Dan has, upon occasion, described his music as "indie classical", and that's fairly accurate. And it's accurate even though that term has come to usually mean music quite different from his: classical music written by composers with both formal training and indie rock experience, such as Missy Mazzoli, David Longstreth, or Bryce Dessner, and played by young-hipster chamber ensembles, such as Eighth Blackbird or yMusic. Dan, in contrast, is far more a self-taught progger than a formally-trained Minimalist, and splits the difference between avant and symph by combining structures from outside rock with a relatively consonant, melodic harmonic language.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 11-07-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Yeah I know what you mean. The first time I heard Heliotians I was in the car and wasn't exactly paying close attention to the music, and by the time it was over I was thinking "wait...was that it??" It really was one of those albums that took 5-6 spins before any of it clicked with me. And it is excellent, of course. Britton certainly has a way with things, it almost sounds as if he's trying to sell as few records as possible sometimes. But the final product always winds up being excellent.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    When is the vinyl expected to show up?
    The Prog Corner

Thanks for the encouraging words, everybody! And thanks for starting a thread- I was worrying that I would have to do it myself. The vinyl version should be available by early December- they're still being manufactured now, so I don't know for sure when they'll be ready unfortunately. CDs take about 3 weeks to make, but vinyl records take about 3 months-at least that's how it turned out for me this time.

Here are a few samples, some of which I posted in the "New Releases" thread a few weeks ago:

Sounds grand, Dan
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Got a chance to hear the entire thing yesterday and it's up to Dan's usual high standards of combing an obvious love of 70s music with much more than a homage to 70s music and also more modern ideas.

With it's greater orchestrations / instrumentation, some of it reminded me a lot of Jaga Jazzist, when there is less of the electronica in their recordings.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    With it's greater orchestrations / instrumentation, some of it reminded me a lot of Jaga Jazzist, when there is less of the electronica in their recordings.
    Although I have a lot of Jaga Jazzist's albums I hadn't heard that (yet), probably because Norwegians play more a the jazzy prog vein, but I agree about the orchestrations and like this kind of thoughts/feelings.
    That's why my minds came up with a comparison with a project like Regal Worm, also because of the adventurous compositions.

Those samples sound great!!! No big surprise there - Deluge Grander are consistently awesome.
    The Prog Corner

Well, if PE wasn't full of threads about Genesis, Yes, King Crimson and other extinct species I would have heard about this guys earlier. I am listening to Heliotians now at bandcamp and I love it. Such a natural, compositional flow that you lose yourself into it.

I would surely grab a vinyl of Oceanarium, if it wasn't for the plague of the postage from the States. That could turn into an epic "still waiting for my saviour/postage cost tears me limb to limb". But I don't lose hope yet.

Is it just me, or is the song "Drifting Inner Skyline Space" from Oceanarium simply brilliant? Beautiful music, beautiful artwork... enjoying this one a great deal.

My prayers have been heard and there is a high chance I will be getting this on vinyl. I mean at a reasonable price.

Meanwhile I rest in utter awe with Heliotians. There are no words to describe this, as a conception, execution and pure sound of instruments. Some music just hits right in the center.

Oceanarium is an impressive release sonically, but a great deal to get through I find. A bit too much for my taste...huge instrumentation and so many different themes introduced for such a short period of time and then washed away by new ones, recurring in such altered harmonic and melodic forms it's hard to follow. Made me quite nervous.

I couldn't afford the Heliotians singular vinyl thing (price made me nervous), so I'll go for this one in that format instead.

Happy to say I'm not too nervous now. Not about this, anyway. Perhaps about Kim Jong-Un and nuclear skinpeels and boiling brain n'stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM