Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The King Crimson Mega Box Sets

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, but is there any overlap with, say, the Champagne Urbana Sessions, for instance.
    Disc Five (titled Fragmented) is basically CLUB21 (Champaign-Urbana Sessions) with two bonus tracks added at the end:
    CD5-15 Yoli Yoli 3:22
    CD5-16 Adrian And Robert 7:46

You can find detailed tracklist at:
    https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson...elease/9257662

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Someone posted on the KC FB group that they just got all the box sets (minus ITCOTCK) in one order. Quite a lot to dig into! I didn't know how expensive it is now to get a copy of the ITCOTCK box now. Glad I got one when it was first out.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-08-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Someone posted on the KC FB group that they just got all the box sets (minus ITCOTCK) in one order. Quite a lot to dig into! I didn't know how expensive it is now to get a copy of the ITCOTCK box now. Glad I got one when it was first out.
    Dude, I can't find anyone selling the In The Court... box. Granted, I haven't tired E-bay or other similar forums, largely because I know how opportunistic the rat bastards who operate on those sites are.

As far as buying them all at once, I'm trying to not do that. I already had the Larks Tongues box, which I bought a couple years ago (and in fact, never finished listening to, now that I think about it, half the digipaks are still sitting next to the computer, waiting to be ripped onto the hard drive). But I have ordered both The Road To Red and Starless a little uncomfortably close together (as in a week apart). It'll be awhile before I have the cash assets or order anyting else, though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ There's on on sale on Discogs from Italy for about US$200. Or one on Amazon for $999!

So, anyon eheard the On (And Off) The ROad 1981-1984 set yet? What do you think? I'm curious to hear what the bonus material is like. Does it include anything from the various Collector's Club releases chronicling the 80's quartet?!
    So, anyon eheard the On (And Off) The Road 1981-1984 set yet? What do you think? I'm curious to hear what the bonus material is like. Does it include anything from the various Collector's Club releases chronicling the 80's quartet?!
    I have it and love it. But then I have and love all of the box sets...

The "Are you Recording Gary?" Track is a look at recording Larks' III. There's a great Fripp solo at one point, the tone is similar to his work on Scary Monsters and the League of Gentlemen (particularly Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx). I don't think I've heard him use that tone/style in Crimson before. There's also an early rendition of the middle section of VROOOM VROOOM (the part originally written in '74).

The three other tracks are bits and pieces of the three albums put together in a single track. I think some of the material was part of the Stormy Monday releases. They are parts of the songs (such as the drums and bass, or background vocals) and are basically a look at some of the parts that aren't so evident in the final mix. Not all songs are covered and they aren't always in the same order as the final release. They are interesting, but I think some of the material in "Are you Recording?" is more compelling.

There are two new unreleased tracks from the 3oaPP sessions added to the Champaign-Urbana sessions (the last track is a long one and stellar), and another new one on the 3oaPP album (which is part of the 40th Anniversary release).

Otherwise the new material is primarily video footage, everything else having been released via DGMlive.com or on the 40th anniversary releases. But a lot of the material has been upgraded (although I haven't compared them to earlier verisons to see if there's a big difference).

Quote Originally Posted by akond View Post
    Disc Five (titled Fragmented) is basically CLUB21 (Champaign-Urbana Sessions) with two bonus tracks added at the end:
    CD5-15 Yoli Yoli 3:22
    CD5-16 Adrian And Robert 7:46

You can find detailed tracklist at:
    https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson...elease/9257662
    Ah, interesting. Thank you for that link, that does answer some of the questions I had. I'm just trying to figure out which of the Collector's Club things I would have to buy, if say I ended up owning all the boxsets (which probably isn't going to happen anyway, as it seems unlikely I'll be able to get the In The Court... box, and something tells me I may have to act fast if I intend to secure a copy of the Thrak box).

Quote Originally Posted by rghammill View Post
    I have it and love it. But then I have and love all of the box sets...

The "Are you Recording Gary?" Track is a look at recording Larks' III. There's a great Fripp solo at one point, the tone is similar to his work on Scary Monsters and the League of Gentlemen (particularly Thrang Thrang Gozinbulx). I don't think I've heard him use that tone/style in Crimson before. There's also an early rendition of the middle section of VROOOM VROOOM (the part originally written in '74).

The three other tracks are bits and pieces of the three albums put together in a single track. I think some of the material was part of the Stormy Monday releases. They are parts of the songs (such as the drums and bass, or background vocals) and are basically a look at some of the parts that aren't so evident in the final mix. Not all songs are covered and they aren't always in the same order as the final release. They are interesting, but I think some of the material in "Are you Recording?" is more compelling.

There are two new unreleased tracks from the 3oaPP sessions added to the Champaign-Urbana sessions (the last track is a long one and stellar), and another new one on the 3oaPP album (which is part of the 40th Anniversary release).

Otherwise the new material is primarily video footage, everything else having been released via DGMlive.com or on the 40th anniversary releases. But a lot of the material has been upgraded (although I haven't compared them to earlier verisons to see if there's a big difference).
    Thank you for that appraisal, Sir. I was curious to know if they'd include all the Collector's Club titles from the given era, as was done on the Larks Tongues, Starless, and The Road To Red boxes, as it didn't seem like that was the case from reading the description on the DGM page, but reading the track listing on Discogs.com made it plain that it obviously doesn't.

Is the new video footage only presented on Blu-Ray or does it appear on the DVD's as well? That Alabramahalle video sounds intriguing.

Has anyone noticed that there appears to be a typo in the Starless box? On the card that has the three bonus discs on it, the last three tracks on disc 26, the audience recording featuring the end of the Mainz concert, are identified as being from 6 October, 1973. But that's the date of the Arlington, Texas show heard on disc 25 (and the start of disc 26)! If I'm not mistaken the correct date for the Mainz recording should be 30 March, 1974.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I can't find a better thread to post this on, so...

There was talk about the next super-super Crim box being a collection of recordings from the various ProjeKct lineups. I haven't heard anything in a while and it's the time of year when the big boxes have gotten released in the past. Has there been any more info?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There was talk about the next super-super Crim box being a collection of recordings from the various ProjeKct lineups. I haven't heard anything in a while and it's the time of year when the big boxes have gotten released in the past. Has there been any more info?
    I think the two vinyl box sets are fulfilling this year's megabox quotient.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I can't find a better thread to post this on, so...

I swear I read somewhere that it had been delayed to next year but can't find that now.

hopefully not too long into next year though. maybe we get a double bounty next year with Projekcts and a redone court box for the 50th.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Dammit

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The latest Prog promises a megabox next year.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Why is it that when Uncle Bob's Milk truck comes by I cannot resist a purchase? Here we go again.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Why is it that when Uncle Bob's Milk truck comes by I cannot resist a purchase? Here we go again.
    Because you were breast fed on falsies?