Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The King Crimson Mega Box Sets

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Thanks for the catch....nice to have pre rather than post-publication!
    Don't forget to also change all your "Formantera"'s to "Formentera"'s and you'll be fine. ;-)
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Yes...but not quite as you describe it.

The separate release comprises CD18 and DVD23 of the big box.
    Let me get this straight...

the 4Nth anniv of Earthbound could be my dream wish after all, but is the DVD a video performance of the Summit... or is it a DVD-A?

Ditto for the ST boxset: is the DVD 23 video material or is it a DVD-A?

Believe me, this box is a revelation, especially if you don't have the 1972 live stuff previously available as download only. I had one, plus Guildhall from 1971 and the single-disc, abbreviated/edited Summit. But even Poseidon through Islands are greatly expanded with new material, much found since the original 40th reissues.

This is becoming my favourite box of the series...
    Well, those big album-cover booklets Sid unveiled look very tempting as well.

TBH, this looks like the most appetizing Crim boxset of them all (outside the Great Deceiver that I already own)

First. it's as good a name as any, as it's an alteration - Sailor's Tales rather than The Sailor's Tale. But also, I just don't find things like that to be annoying. We are, clearly, different

Ah, but these shows demonstrate that this - not the LTIA band - may have been Crimson at its freest, most jazz-oriented and improv-heavy. To hear, also, how tracks from Islands, evolve from before recording through after release, when they are still stretching them big time, might change your mind. In particular, Formantera Lady, Sailor's Tale and The Letters stand easily to scrutiny of multiple versions.

This is also the last time that it sounds like the band is having fun onstage; the between song patter - not just from Fripp, but from Boz and Wallace - is sometimes absolutely hilarious...and when they joke with Fripp, a couple times, during Ladies of the Road ("Blues Lick Please!" Boz shouts), he not only obliges, but with a great sense of humour..

Mmmhhh!!!... I was overstating my slight disappointment about the boxset's name, but Aymeric swiped that away ... Thanks Calyx. (and you John)

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    I've never had enough dough around to buy one of these sets, but every time I get envious, I start to take into account the track repetition. Love Crim and all, and I know they're known for spontaneous embellishments, but according to Mr. Kelman's detailed track list, here's how many times you'll be listening to some of the songs over the course of one listen to the set -

Cadence and Cascade (33)
    Formentera Lady (35)
    Groon (37)
    Ladies of the Road (40)
    Pictures of a City (44)
    The Sailor’s Tale (46)

And tied for the top spot:
    Cirkus (47)
    21st Century Schizoid Man (47)

Not a criticism, in fact kudos to anybody who makes it all the way through!
    Well, that kinds of rests my case, doesn't it??
    And even if I appreciate C&C, Cirkus, PoaC and Schizoid much more than any Islands tracks, it's still way too many versions of them.

But I've not discarded (ruled out) the boxset yet.
    One thing is sure, if I must own only one of these "recent" boxsets, it will be this one.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think I'm going to let the fates decide for me on this one...if a certain vendor whom I frequent often happens to get this particular box set in stock, I will pull the trigger. If they don't, I'll consider it the cosmos telling me I should use that bookshelf space for something else
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    do you think they will issue a box set collecting the three albums that came out in the 2000s? TCoL to the Scarcity of Miracles ??
    No. A 99-03 Double Duo set, sure, maybe/hopefully with some ProjeKct stuff. Scarcity was the following decade, with a different group, and it wasn't Crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    the 4Nth anniv of Earthbound could be my dream wish after all, but is the DVD a video performance of the Summit... or is it a DVD-A?
    Audio only. There's no video of this lineup at all.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    according to Mr. Kelman's detailed track list, here's how many times you'll be listening to some of the songs over the course of one listen to the set -

The Sailor’s Tale (46)
    You can never have too many versions of this one. Wish it was still on the setlist for the current tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    No. A 99-03 Double Duo set, sure, maybe/hopefully with some ProjeKct stuff.

don't forget to scope out/consider Pat M's BPM&M 'XtraKcts & ArtifaKcts' re-mix compilation. fits in with the rest of the ProjeKcts quite nicely
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    You can never have too many versions of this one. Wish it was still on the setlist for the current tour.

I miss it too. wish they would rotate it with 'The Letters'
    2trevorsforlife

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Maybe this is the normal Burning Shed handoff to FedEx experience, and we've never checked before.
    No response to my ticket yet, and it looks like the package hasn't moved since that exception yesterday afternoon. In my ticket I mentioned I wasn't the only one seeing this exception, but if you haven't you might want to enter a ticket with Burning Shed. Just log into your account and you should see an option to do that.

Got the same exception .

Clearly a systematic problem then

Ooh, I just thought of something else I'm curious about as I wait.

I've wondered for years how that blues version of ITCOTKC that quickly fades out on the Ladies of the Road live album actually resolves. Does that jam appear on this set anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post

I've wondered for years how that blues version of ITCOTKC that quickly fades out on the Ladies of the Road live album actually resolves. Does that jam appear on this set anywhere?
    if it's the same as Detroit '71 (KCCC#18), then it was a very short version of the song.

Got the same exception .

No such note on my copy, at least so far--no update since shipping from Snetterton on Monday. Hope there's no delay, as they're requiring a signature for delivery, and just happened to schedule it for a day I will be home.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post

Yes, on the Detroit, 1971 show. It's only about 3:30, but it doesn't fade out...it finishes completely.

one of the other things I love about this band is how much fun they're having...even when they'd broken up in principle, in January '72, and only toured the USA because of a contractual obligation. There may have been a big dividing line between Fripp and the rest of the guys, but onstage? You'd never know it. For me, you'll just have to read my review....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Let me get this straight...the 4Nth anniv of Earthbound could be my dream wish after all, but is the DVD a video performance of the Summit... or is it a DVD-A?
    DVD-A

Ditto for the ST boxset: is the DVD 23 video material or is it a DVD-A?
    They're both DVD-As.

Well, those big album-cover booklets Sid unveiled look very tempting as well.
    They are

TBH, this looks like the most appetizing Crim boxset of them all (outside the Great Deceiver that I already own)
    It has become my favourite box set. And while the repertoire is a little limited, each performance is so out there, with so much reckless abandon, that I can see myself playing many of them often.

Mmmhhh!!!... I was overstating my slight disappointment about the boxset's name, but Aymeric swiped that away ... Thanks Calyx. (and you John)
    Pleasure

Well, that kinds of rests my case, doesn't it??
    And even if I appreciate C&C, Cirkus, PoaC and Schizoid much more than any Islands tracks, it's still way too many versions of them.
    You need to hear them, honestly; walking into the box, I was a skeptic. Now, I'm a huge believer.

But I've not discarded (ruled out) the boxset yet.
    If money isn't an issue, then I'd. Just. Do. It.
    One thing is sure, if I must own only one of these "recent" boxsets, it will be this one.[/QUOTE]
    John Kelman

I posted somewhere else that Earthbound had not been cleaned up. That was, of course, an error; coming from multiple shows that have had their audio restored by David Singleton and Alex R. Mundy, there are still some audio issues, but I'd wager that it now sounds the best it ever has. Just wanted to be clear as my other post would have been misleading...but I can't find it (argh).

Cheers...and back to writing!
    John
    John Kelman

It has become my favourite box set. And while the repertoire is a little limited, each performance is so out there, with so much reckless abandon, that I can see myself playing many of them often.
    It's this sentiment from you that has me really excited for this. This set has been a dream for me since the wealth of Larks/Starless/Red live material was dropped on us. I love that band, but a lot of their improv tendencies leave me bored silly. The live material I have from this lineup is some of my favorite Crim. I love the abandon and can't wait to drown in it.

Both CD16 and BR22 list "Groon - Peoria (incomplete);" as one track. Am I reading it right? was Peoria an improv that grew out of Groon??

Got the same exception .

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No such note on my copy, at least so far--no update since shipping from Snetterton on Monday. Hope there's no delay, as they're requiring a signature for delivery, and just happened to schedule it for a day I will be home.
    I heard back from Burning Shed - here's what they wrote:

Thanks for the message.

I have spoken to Fed-Ex who tell me that there was an issue with a small batch of packages but they are apparently on the way to JFK and everything should be ok now.

If there are any more issues they will contact us both but please do keep an eye on it.

Apologies for any confusion.

I just checked the FedEx tracking and it doesn't show any further movement, so I'll just have to take their word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ...and his only companion on the island was Steven Wilson.

^ Wislon!!!!
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    ^ Wislon!!!!
    D'oh! Of course!

It looks like they've sort of just restarted the tracking, it still says it'll be delivered Friday. Goody!

I haven't seen any activity since it left Prickwillow.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I haven't seen any activity since it left Prickwillow.
    Isn't that where Olias lives?

Isn't that where Olias lives?
    No, Holias lives there.

Those FedEx pilots should push the envelope of safe flight to get our Sailors' Tales sets to us quickly! Hey, does FedEx deliver on Veteran's Day? They'd better, nothing's more important.