Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Sanhedrin - Ever After

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Anyone remember Sympozion ?
    Of course. But then again, you knew I would.

Kundabuffer still spins regularly, and not only when I'm doing 'Israeli prog binges'. Odd to think it's been over a decade since its release; there are still new things to hear in their music. One of those rare instances where something is so clearly indebted yet creates anew altogether. Too bad about Arik Hayat's remaining ideas/demos for the band; I seem to remember you stating that they were too few and in the raw to make for a retrospective issue? However, I also recall you saying that they were even more refined and advanced than the material on 'buffer.

But how about that Arik Hayat solo recording? Did it ever find an official outlet? I can't remember ever seeing it for sale, and those MP3s you sent me back then were amazing...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Thx, man.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

"music should be free"

I'm guessing that killed him.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Kundabuffer still spins regularly, and not only when I'm doing 'Israeli prog binges'. Odd to think it's been over a decade since its release; there are still new things to hear in their music. One of those rare instances where something is so clearly indebted yet creates anew altogether. Too bad about Arik Hayat's remaining ideas/demos for the band; I seem to remember you stating that they were too few and in the raw to make for a retrospective issue? However, I also recall you saying that they were even more refined and advanced than the material on 'buffer.

But how about that Arik Hayat solo recording? Did it ever find an official outlet? I can't remember ever seeing it for sale, and those MP3s you sent me back then were amazing...
    Count me another huge Kundabuffer fan. I got this to review when I was writing for Progression Magazine, and it's one of the few I received that I really fell in love with. I've never heard Arik's other material, so I'm downloading it now.

Bill

Gadi Ben Elisha Sanhedrin's guitar player passed away yesterday RIP
    he was a kind giften man

Sad news. An excellent musician he was...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Sorry to hear that. Next to Shem Tov Levy's flute I'd say his guitarplaying is much of what truly makes out the Sanhedrin album.

Sad. I had long hoped for a follow-up to their fine album.

Very sad to hear.

One of the most pleasant retro-prog albums of the last 15 years with a key-role for the guitar.

Gadi was Shem Tov's sidekick for the last 2 decades.
    Here is one of Shem-Tov's most beautiful tunes featuring Gadi playing bluesy acoustic guitar:

I'm doing Israeli 70s progressive over drinks this evening. Let's get back to 90s/00s Israeli progressive later.

Sheshet, Tamouz, Atmosphera, Churchills and Jericho, Shlomo Gronich, Matti Caspi, Arik Einstein (the "experimental" ones from the latter two), Rechter/Kenner's 14 Ocatavas, Apocalypse, Zingale, Danny Ben-Israel and so on.

And more Shem Tov Levi, whose flute is so prominent to Sheshet's sonic success - albeit not as entirely deciding as that heavenly voice of Yehudit Ravitz. There was a vinyl reissue of the classic Sheshet album now in 2020, btw - I wonder where to get it and whether it's a rip or an original analog transfer?

I got the Ktzat Acheret on a beautiful bootleg vinyl only last year and it sounds wonderful, probably even better than the semi-official CD reissue from the 90s. The album strikes me as possibly the most eclectic thing I heard from outside of Europe in the 70s, all three musicians (Gronich, Ydov, Levi) being multi-instrumentalists and handling some rather quirky material.

But what I really dug anew was that Shlomo Ydov First Time debut solo album from 1978, a truly gorgeous achievement reissued on CD in 1995. This is halfway between sensitive mizrahi singer-songwriter's folk-pop and fusion-infected progressive rock, more strictly song-form based but also (AFAIK) featuring input from Shem Tov Levi (flute) and arguably coming closest to that fabulous Sheshet record. Much of this stuff would arguably appeal wholeheartedly to people into the folkier veins of Italian 70s progressive. I can't find it on YT, though. Possibly because of the hebrew letters spelling.

^^ Not familiar with all these names, but I loved Churchills/Jericho Jones/Jericho. Why the band never made it bigger is beyond me; perhaps their sound was slightly derivative of Deep Purple. But their third (and last) album was awesome.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

^Jericho (Churchills after namechange) were most likely into stuff like Purple, Alex Harvey and the likes, but most of all they continued their tribute to US West Coast lore and in particular that of guitar-attackery and raw wizardry as in Blue Cheer and especially Quicksilver Messenger Service. The first Churchills record is an extremely important artifact in Middle-Eastern rock in general, and it sound great even today although its debt to murky and twisted garage-rock (Yardbirds, Doors, Count Five, Pretty Things a.o.) might strike some as a bit too obvious. There's some peculiarly original music on that album as well, though ("Subsequent Finale").

However, while I'm a bit in two minds about the Jericho Jones release, I absolutely LOVE the s/t Jericho. This is gloriously aggressive for 1972, sitting neatly next to classics like Masters Apprentices' Panama Red or Parachute by the Pretty Things or even monsters like the debut Procession (Frontiera) or Trettioåriga Kriget from a cuppa years after. They ought to have made it, if not big than at least a bit bigger, while residing in London for those handful of years. Of course, guitarist Rob Huxley was from Britain in the first place. "Ethiopia" is a marvellous startoff track and "Justin and Nova" a semi-symph power-ballad mini-epic as fine as anything attempted by anyone in session.

^^^

Ktzat Acheret is to my ears the BEST progressive rock (in the wider sense) album from Israel. Masterpiece status.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm doing Israeli 70s progressive over drinks this evening. Let's get back to 90s/00s Israeli progressive later.

But what I really dug anew was that Shlomo Ydov First Time debut solo album from 1978, a truly gorgeous achievement reissued on CD in 1995. This is halfway between sensitive mizrahi singer-songwriter's folk-pop and fusion-infected progressive rock, more strictly song-form based but also (AFAIK) featuring input from Shem Tov Levi (flute) and arguably coming closest to that fabulous Sheshet record. Much of this stuff would arguably appeal wholeheartedly to people into the folkier veins of Italian 70s progressive. I can't find it on YT, though. Possibly because of the hebrew letters spelling.
    There you go

^ Know them all, my friend. But that Tamouz track needs to be heard again and again by folks who don't know about Israeli progressive to begin with. I think, and not only for the (rather substantial) participation of Shalom Hanoch. The rest of that album is fairly fine as well.

Did you hear this, Udi?

I saw Tamouz in 1975
    Zingale 1975
    Kaveret 1976

^Oh, shit.

Didn't you see Atmosphera as well? I seem to remember you writing that in here. Seeing Zingale must have been something; those guys came pretty damn close to the P.F.M. achivements of "obvious" yet adapted influences.

Kaveret, unlike the others (as I understand), were huge. Like I Nomadi in Italy in contrast to the "progressive" wave, it seems. I've only heard the Poogy album and that's fairly good, but I used to work with a guy who was an expert on Eurovision Song Contest (for whatever reason) and actually claimed Kaveret and Korni Grupa to be to of the best things to ever come out of the mid-70s schedules. Both being somewhat "progressive", as it was.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 08-29-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Zingale was my first ever rock concert and they blew my mind i was 13
    The album that came out 2,years later is pale
    They were really incredible

Atmonphera I remember seeing gig posters but somehow missed them

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    ^^^

Ktzat Acheret is to my ears the BEST progressive rock (in the wider sense) album from Israel. Masterpiece status.
    Fucking hell Spyros. This is astonishingly beautiful.

I intend to delve on the suggestions here when I get my ass back to bleak realities and away from sunbathed holidays. And - if possible - make those realities less bleak.

he was a kind giften man
    Very sad to hear, Rest In Peace friend .

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Fucking hell Spyros. This is astonishingly beautiful.

I intend to delve on the suggestions here when I get my ass back to bleak realities and away from sunbathed holidays. And - if possible - make those realities less bleak.
    i worked with 2 of them in the 80's Shlomo Gronich and Shemtov Levi

gifted musicians