Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Percy Jones on Brand X, Soft Machine, Brian Eno, Richard Barbieri and More

Percy Jones on Brand X, Soft Machine, Brian Eno, Richard Barbieri and More

Hi Everyone,

Innerviews has a new a interview with Percy Jones of Brand X out. It covers Brand X past, present and future in what I hope is a unique way. It's also a comprehensive overview of Percy's solo career and his contributions to the work of Brian Eno, Soft Machine, Richard Barbieri, Suzanne Vega, Scott McGill, Ritchie DeCarlo The Liverpool Scene (his first band), and more. It also offers an eye-opening (or eye-watering...) view into the harsh realities of the music business. You can find the interview here: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/percy-jones

Banned
    Great - thanks for posting. Looks great. Bookmarked for later.

Great read, thanks - just a minor point, I wish you'd asked Percy which version of Gong he auditioned for ? Was this before or after Allan Holdsworth joined ? Mike Howlett left in May 1976, around which time there was an attempt to have David Cross replace Jorge Pinchevsky on violin. By July Francis Moze had joined on bass, so Percy's audition likely took place around June, but who else apart from Pierre Moerlen was present ? Would have been interesting to know...
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Fab-ooo as usual, Anil!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This leads me to another point. I don’t see any point in repeating yourself. We tried to do something different every time with Brand X to keep life interesting. But their reaction was very negative. It didn’t sound like the earlier Brand X Lipstick was expecting.
    I think this is an important point. Many reunions of old band lineups get stuck playing the music of their youth, and it takes all of the fun and a lot of the challenge out of it. Brand X, to their credit, have worked hard to advance the chains every time they take the field. It's always an adventure, there's always a bit of work to "get into" the new music but it has always been immensely rewarding.

I look forward to hearing the new version!!

Thanks Anil, another fabulous interview.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Percy's audition likely took place around June, but who else apart from Pierre Moerlen was present ? Would have been interesting to know...
    Percy says it was 1976 (sometime) so you're undoubtedly right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Percy Jones
    As soon as his name was mentioned, I thought back to 1976, when Gong called me in to audition for them. I was living in London at that point. I went over and played with them, but they had everything written out in notation. As I said earlier, I can’t read music. So, we played a couple of tunes and sort of waffled through it. Then they said “Let’s go to the pub.” So, we went and had a pint. Then they said “Let’s have another. And another. And another.” [laughs]

Great interview. I'm so excited to read there will be new Brand X material at some point. They will be at Yoshi's Oakland on November 13. I'm counting the minutes!!!!!!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Interesting to read that it was Weinberger's idea to get things going again. He's been the guy doing all the social media promotion.

Thanks for sharing! I didn't have the good fortune to ask Percy questions after BX's recent show in Detroit so this will do nicely instead.

The Enemy God
    Good interview as always, got to see Percy with Tunnels project at Jazz Cafe in London , fantastic player.

Thanks for another great interview

For anyone who didn't see it before, here's a recent and long interview with Percy Jones. Bear in mind that the interviewer, Kev Hopper, is also a fretless bassist himself and Percy was his musicial hero, so the talk gets very technical in parts.
    https://spoombung.wordpress.com/2016...pper-may-2015/

As usual, and with no surprise, a great interview! I find it so interesting that a guy with his level of chops is living hand to mouth, when at least within this world here, EVERYONE knows who he is. I'm always surprised when someone says who's that when talking about him. I can't imagine anyone who loves music DOESN'T know who he is. It's a strange universe isn't it?!

Yes, it is shocking.

What is even more shocking is the behavior of Hit & Run towards the Brand X guys. Hit & Run handle Genesis and Phil Collins. The publishing associated with Brand X is a drop in the bucket compared to the untold millions "In the Air Tonight" or "Invisible Touch" generated for them. Couldn't they just give their publishing back to Brand X as a goodwill gesture given their struggles? This is a horrifying business run by seething, ugly people. Even some people you might associate as "good guys" (not being sexist -- it is literally, always guys) are among the worst towards artists you can imagine.

What you can all do though is buy the new Brand X album, as it's the only one they're getting paid for. And attend their shows. And, buy the damn t-shirt too. That money goes to them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    As usual, and with no surprise, a great interview! I find it so interesting that a guy with his level of chops is living hand to mouth, when at least within this world here, EVERYONE knows who he is. I'm always surprised when someone says who's that when talking about him. I can't imagine anyone who loves music DOESN'T know who he is. It's a strange universe isn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    Yes, it is shocking.

What is even more shocking is the behavior of Hit & Run towards the Brand X guys. Hit & Run handle Genesis and Phil Collins. The publishing associated with Brand X is a drop in the bucket compared to the untold millions "In the Air Tonight" or "Invisible Touch" generated for them. Couldn't they just give their publishing back to Brand X as a goodwill gesture given their struggles? This is a horrifying business run by seething, ugly people. Even some people you might associate as "good guys" (not being sexist -- it is literally, always guys) are among the worst towards artists you can imagine.

What you can all do though is buy the new Brand X album, as it's the only one they're getting paid for. And attend their shows. And, buy the damn t-shirt too. That money goes to them, too.
    I second that. Ive seen them 2x. The new Live record just effin slays!!!

What is even more shocking is the behavior of Hit & Run towards the Brand X guys.
    Perhaps their name is a clue.

This interview really brings home how precarious these guys' living is. (And likely always will be, for all ages, which is why the industry will forever be a magnet for predators.)
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Nice interview, thanks. Percy is a great player and a great guy. I saw Brand X a year ago with Dennard on drums and they had a lot of the old magic. The interview reminded me of something I had completely forgotten about - I saw Bruford's Earthworks in the late 80s, and the opening act was Percy solo, with all his machines. That was different. He sat in a chair and tore it up on the bass. Got to see him 2-3 times in the 90s with the Katz lineup of Brand X and Tunnels.

So, who has heard the Manifest Destiny album?
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

I have it...and always liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    So, who has heard the Manifest Destiny album?
    Got it when it first came out. I like it, but I don't share Anil's opinion about it being their finest album. That would be Livestock.

Agree. Manifest Destiny is another link in the long Brand X saga, and worthy of sustained attention.... but there's something MAGIC about that lineup around Livestock, Masques and Morrocan Roill.

No-one needs to agree with me. I thought it was a giant blast of fresh air. An album of great invention and creativity. At least you got to hear it...

You may also disagree with my enthusiasm for Fire Merchants in the forthcoming John Goodsall interview. ;-)

I *LOVED* Fire Merchants. The stuff Goodsall got into afterward, though... not so much

I liked Fire Merchants, but Tunnels was more interesting. Hoping for some new Brand X...