Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dean Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Track Of Days is now available on Bandcamp. Please visit here: https://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/album/track-of-days to listen. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!
    as usual Dean, an excellent album of majestic music!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    no one cares
    Hi MT, fair enough.
    I understand Dean is very busy and is probably a very talented artist.
    But I also feel it's also nice to be courteous enough when a potential new fan asks a couple simple questions regarding something you posted about.
    I've had plenty of one to one interactions with a number of artists including members of Saga, Glass Hammer, Discipline, Art Griffin and Dave Kerzner, to name a few. And I think they truly understand and appreciate people who are interested in their music.

Again, I understand professional musicians are busy, but when you post on a public forum, it's nice to mingle with the folks now and then.
    I wish Dean the highest degree of success with his new music, it's hard in this day of dreadful commercial music to keep it going.

TC
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm a Cubase user, but curious as to why you would dump an industry standard and highly regarded Pro Tools for Reaper? artistic reasons? workflow?
    thank you
    TC
    ProTools was a processor hog, I could never get enough tracks before my system started to crash. Plus I didn't like some of its limitations, such as no VST ( without a wrapper ) plugins, which are so readily available for DAWS at decent prices, some even free. 10 years ago I was looking for a DAW and a friend of mine, in the industry, suggested - if you want to get anywhere in this business - you had better use Pro Tools. 10 years later, at 60 years old, I don't care. Reaper is so much more efficient, and I think it sounds sonically better to - I could never run 24/96 in PT. Anyway, I guess you'll never really know how it sounds because you've taken a pass at listening to it. That's fine! Cheers!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments regarding "Track Of Days"!

Cheers!

ProTools was a processor hog, I could never get enough tracks before my system started to crash. Plus I didn't like some of its limitations, such as no VST ( without a wrapper ) plugins, which are so readily available for DAWS at decent prices, some even free. 10 years ago I was looking for a DAW and a friend of mine, in the industry, suggested - if you want to get anywhere in this business - you had better use Pro Tools. 10 years later, at 60 years old, I don't care. Reaper is so much more efficient, and I think it sounds sonically better to - I could never run 24/96 in PT. Anyway, I guess you'll never really know how it sounds because you've taken a pass at listening to it. That's fine! Cheers!
    Dean thank you so much for answering my questions, I really appreciate it.

I think it's cool you're going against the grain and using software that suits your workflow and you are happy with it.
    I will definitely give it a look should my Cubase 6 ever give up the ghost.
    It's little things like your sharing why you chose Reaper that tend to make this internet thing a little more humanized, and narrows the gap between artist and listener, especially to hobbyist musicians such as myself.

Now you have made me curious as to how it sounds using Reaper, and I would love checking out this song.
    I'm sorry if I brought any negativity to what is an exciting moment for you in release of your new song.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Anyway, I guess you'll never really know how it sounds because you've taken a pass at listening to it. That's fine! Cheers!
    I've since had time to listen to some tracks from your new album and cuts from previous albums, and all I can say is wow!
    Your production, writing, mixing, musicianship is excellent.
    As described by others these have elements from various genres but for me it is fusion, and the Holdsworth comparison is pretty close.
    Not necessarily my cup o tea(fusion), but I would highly recommend it to other fans of that genre.
    Blame it on my ADD but I have difficulty listening to any album without vocals, one track or two, yes, but I generally listen to an album all the way through.

Thank you again for answering my questions, and I wish your new release to be very successful for you.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments regarding "Track Of Days"!

Cheers!
    Just listened to the entire album. It sounds fantastic! Will there be a CD release? I ordered a CD copy of Fantasizer today.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Just listened to the entire album. It sounds fantastic! Will there be a CD release? I ordered a CD copy of Fantasizer today.
    Depending on how well it gets received, there 'could' be a CD run, but it's doubtful. I just have too many unsold CD's sitting around my house taking up room, so I hope you understand if I don't release it on CD. It is up on Bandcamp as 24/96 resolution - if that helps at all. Thanks for your kind words and purchase!

Depending on how well it gets received, there 'could' be a CD run, but it's doubtful. I just have too many unsold CD's sitting around my house taking up room, so I hope you understand if I don't release it on CD. It is up on Bandcamp as 24/96 resolution - if that helps at all. Thanks for your kind words and purchase!
    Thanks for the info! And I understand completely. CDs aren't selling. I have to a buy a burner for my computer so I can purchase downloads and burn them to CD-R. I'm a decade behind the times.

Dean is a major talent if you ask me; love his albums! Great composer and multi-instrumentalist... even his drum machine programming is impressive! We've never met, but became Internet friends when we traded each other our respective albums. We agreed that we share some of the same musical sensibilities; certain chord types and stuff, but he's much more prolific and I wish I could come up with half of the cool ideas that he does. Highly recommended to all fans of prog/fusion, sez me!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Dean is a major talent if you ask me; love his albums! Great composer and multi-instrumentalist... even his drum machine programming is impressive! We've never met, but became Internet friends when we traded each other our respective albums. We agreed that we share some of the same musical sensibilities; certain chord types and stuff, but he's much more prolific and I wish I could come up with half of the cool ideas that he does. Highly recommended to all fans of prog/fusion, sez me!
    Absolutely true - Dean is quite good. I first heard him years ago on Progressive Soundscapes, where our friend Kenny Solomon used to play his stuff. I've always enjoyed his work. And he's a fellow Canuck, as well

All the best with the new one, Dean!

BTW: Reaper is the main workhorse in our studio also, along with Reason and a few others. It's just a brilliant piece of software complete with great support for outboard gear. Highly recommended to anyone looking for new digital audio software.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I'm loving the Phantasizer album. Excellent compositions, beautiful recording, and very accomplished instrumental work. I especially enjoy the keyboard playing. I'm very glad I decided to buy the CD.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I'm loving the Phantasizer album. Excellent compositions, beautiful recording, and very accomplished instrumental work. I especially enjoy the keyboard playing. I'm very glad I decided to buy the CD.
    I'm glad you're enjoying Fantasizer! StarThrower.

Glad to see this thread regarding Dean Watson's music, he always hits the pocket just right for my personal tastes. His previous releases are all stellar to those that love well composed and performed progressive rock ala fusion, or progfusion as some have come to it. I have the utmost respect for his choice of tones for drums and keyboards, as well as everything else, the music is dense and articulate.

And man would I like to see a collaboration with Ernie(No Pride) and Dean to happen, as well as a few other big hitter musicians on this PE site.

As for the near-miss by poster Tom-Cat, glad you gave the thread a bit of time before you passed completely, that's is sometimes the danger of the internet, passing judgement not on things said, but things left unsaid based on expecting an instant reply. Dean has been a gracious contributor to the forums and has also been a great communicator in regards to his music. Glad to see he has gotten some new fans.

New cd sounds excellent, maybe I need to look at this Reaper for my own station??

Jon Neudorf
    An excellent player indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Couldn't agree more! Love all of Dean's work. I originally got turned onto him when he was part of Where's the Nine, and I've followed his solo stuff with great interest.

For me, Dean's music lives in that area between Progressive Rock and Fusion. I find similarities with Helmet of Gnats, Bad Dog U, occasionally RtF, Bruford, Holdsworth/UK, some smatterings of ELP, and the list goes on. The big thing that resonates with me is that while there is no shortage of chops, the compositions rule. All his songs have a distinct character and everything works to realize the mood or concept of the piece. This is what my favorite bands from the 70s did, some mentioned above, and this is why I think Dean's stuff works so well for me.

His new one, Sum of Parts has been in heavy rotation since I got it earlier this year, and I think I've spun all his older albums recently as well. Stuff I really never get tired of. Glad you started the thread, Dean's stuff definitely deserves more attention and should find a lot of fans here.

Bill
    I can't argue with your assessment one bit. It's that "straddling the prog and fusion fence" that really appeals to me. His chord progressions are never stale. and his solos, whether it be guitar or keyboard, always tread creative paths. I played Sum of Parts especially until I finally had to break down and listen to something else (which took quite a while!). I'll be waiting patiently for the next installment - - Great stuff!

Great recording Dean. First listen was awesome. A CD would've been much better for me for listening options. I'll try to spin the files when I can as this needs many many listens. Cheers!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    I can't argue with your assessment one bit. It's that "straddling the prog and fusion fence" that really appeals to me. His chord progressions are never stale. and his solos, whether it be guitar or keyboard, always tread creative paths. I played Sum of Parts especially until I finally had to break down and listen to something else (which took quite a while!). I'll be waiting patiently for the next installment - - Great stuff!
    Thanks Jeff! You've heard "Track Of Days" right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Great recording Dean. First listen was awesome. A CD would've been much better for me for listening options. I'll try to spin the files when I can as this needs many many listens. Cheers!
    Sorry Jimmy. Could I suggest you download it and burn it to CD yourself? It's just not profitable at all getting a glass master run of CD's.

My next release will be me revisiting music I have written in the past. You'll hear tunes you recognize if you've been following me at all, but done differently. I used to play in a band called Where's The Nine and I've redone one of those tunes, (11 years old already???) which I have placed up on Soundcloud. If you care to hear it you can listen to it here:

https://soundcloud.com/dean-watson/a...-odd-tribute-1

Enjoy!

My next release will be me revisiting music I have written in the past. You'll hear tunes you recognize if you've been following me at all, but done differently. I used to play in a band called Where's The Nine and I've redone one of those tunes, (11 years old already???) which I have placed up on Soundcloud. If you care to hear it you can listen to it here:

https://soundcloud.com/dean-watson/a...-odd-tribute-1

Enjoy!
    Wow!! what a great song Dean. Very powerful, great production,writing and the musicianship is 5 star(as always). I like how you went into the mellower part midway through and then the reprise after the phone ring is very creative.
    Barry Connors is credited as co-writer. Did he play keyboards? drums?
    ok, I just re-read your post, this is one of the songs you redid. So you did ALL the instruments on this version?

I did a search online and thought you might enjoy taking a trip back in time with this link, a review on ProgArchives:
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19899
    Last edited by Top Cat; 05-19-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Hi! Still working away on music for my upcoming release "Dean Watson Revisited". Of the tunes on that work, two of them will be from Where's The Nine, a band I was in back in 2008. Here they are, if you care to listen.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers!

Wonderful, as usual. All the best completing the new release. It appears it will be most excellent, based on these tracks

Nicely done, Dean. I hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and somewhat sane.

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Hi! Still working away on music for my upcoming release "Dean Watson Revisited". Of the tunes on that work, two of them will be from Where's The Nine, a band I was in back in 2008. Here they are, if you care to listen.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers!
    Sounds great! I shared the first song on Facebook. Take care and stay safe!

Dean Watson's "Revisited"

My upcoming release "Dean Watson Revisited" will be available on September 1st. On this CD, I revisit 5 tunes I have written from long ago - and redo them. Here is one tune originally recorded on the CD "Unsettled" from 2010.