Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dean Watson

Dean Watson

His newest album, Sum of Parts, has been mentioned in the Best of 2017 thread, but Dean Watson has been around for a while (though I am just discovering him). I want to say, I'm very impressed, and this music deserves a thread.

This is fusion, not extremely slanted toward either the jazz or rock side -- the kind of stuff that I think sounds like jazz, but jazz aficionados think it sounds like prog. The thing it reminds me of most is Holdsworth; it has the same sweet, somewhat bodiless guitar tone. But the resemblance is very partial; this is new, not retro, music.

Discography:
    Unsettled (2010)
    Imposing Elements (2012)
    Fantasizer! (2014)
    Sum of Parts (2017)

Maybe someone else can do better at placing Watson's work in context. But it is fine, fine music that I could listen to all day.
    Last edited by Tom; 10-30-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    and this music deserves a thread.
    Let's give it the whole spool.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Maybe someone else can do better at placing Watson's work in context. But it is fine, fine music that I could listen to all day.
    Couldn't agree more! Love all of Dean's work. I originally got turned onto him when he was part of Where's the Nine, and I've followed his solo stuff with great interest.

For me, Dean's music lives in that area between Progressive Rock and Fusion. I find similarities with Helmet of Gnats, Bad Dog U, occasionally RtF, Bruford, Holdsworth/UK, some smatterings of ELP, and the list goes on. The big thing that resonates with me is that while there is no shortage of chops, the compositions rule. All his songs have a distinct character and everything works to realize the mood or concept of the piece. This is what my favorite bands from the 70s did, some mentioned above, and this is why I think Dean's stuff works so well for me.

His new one, Sum of Parts has been in heavy rotation since I got it earlier this year, and I think I've spun all his older albums recently as well. Stuff I really never get tired of. Glad you started the thread, Dean's stuff definitely deserves more attention and should find a lot of fans here.

Bill

Just downloaded Sum Of Parts. Major talent. Thanks for letting me know of the album.

I have to check him out, sounds right up my alley.

strange... all this time I thought his first album was called Assembly
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^ Wasn't that a Ken Watson?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Wasn't that a Ken Watson?
    Beat me to it, definitely thinking of Ken Watson.

LP, DEAN Watson's music is right up your alley, definitely check his stuff out! https://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/

Bill

People are really talking up this Dean Watson guy. Might need to check him out!!!
    The Prog Corner

Sum of Parts is at the top of my list for 2017. As good as the guitar and keyboard soloing is on this album, it's the compositions that stand out - - the very definition of prog-fusion (if there is such a thing). Deans's melodic sense makes these songs memorable and thoroughly enjoyable!

I've only heard Unsettled, which really kicks. Will have to check out the other albums.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I've only heard Unsettled, which really kicks. Will have to check out the other albums.
    According to posters on the "best of 2017" thread, the first two albums have more kick, while the latter two are more melodic:

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    [Sum of Parts] has been in heavy rotation for me over the summer, and actually I've been enjoying revisiting some of Dean's earlier albums as points of comparison. I think this new one has a slightly more "lyrical" quality than his earlier albums, though Fantasizer seemed to be pointing in that direction as well. So the songs on these two come across a bit more emotionally, and have a real thematic sense to them. Don't get me wrong, I still love the first two - and Fantasizer and Sum of Parts still rip it up plenty! - but I hear an evolution in Dean's writing over the course of his excellent four solo discs.
    [...]
    Bill
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Both Dean AND Ken Watsons are bad asses, if i recall
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I listened to Sum once through and I must say I'm very impressed... liking it lots!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Track Of Days ...

My latest work - "Track Of Days" will be released this Saturday September 8th. The release is quite a departure from anything else I have done, for one, it contains the 50 minute epic "Track Of Days" which is divided into 6 acts. It's meant to be listened to in its entirety with no gaps between each section - if you burn it to CD, please select gapless so it flows properly. Also, I have finally rid myself of Pro Tools and recorded "Track Of Days" entirely in Reaper. The source file for this was all recorded in 24/96 resolution - I hope Bandcamp will allow you to get it that way also. CD Baby will have it for download as well, although I think they might be in MP3 (320K) format. It will of course end up on Spotify, ITunes, Amazon after a while. Stay tuned to FACEBOOK for the release notification. I hope you enjoy "Track Of Days" as much as I did creating it! Cheers!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Track Of Days ...

Also, I have finally rid myself of Pro Tools and recorded "Track Of Days" entirely in Reaper. Cheers!
    I'm a Cubase user, but curious as to why you would dump an industry standard and highly regarded Pro Tools for Reaper? artistic reasons? workflow?
    thank you
    TC
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Exciting! Will there be an eventual CD release?

Bill

AUTOBUY

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Major talent.
    I just listened to the Fantasizer title track. Wow! Great piece! I didn't think of Holdsworth. More of a Zappa/Kimara Sajn/ Alex Machacek vibe. I like it!

Track Of Days is now available on Bandcamp. Please visit here: https://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/album/track-of-days to listen. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Track Of Days is now available on Bandcamp. Please visit here: https://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/album/track-of-days to listen. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!
    I'll pass, thank you.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Sounds great Dean! Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too love Deans work. Just bought the new one off Bandcamp so no review yet. Really looking forward to it.
    Also a Cubase user. Happy to see anyone drop Pro sTools.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'll pass, thank you.
    no one cares