Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone query

Smart phone query

Im still using a flip phone with no texting. I have a need for a hotspot when down south. After a phone conversation with Verizon , the cheapest solution is another account with a plan called Beyond Unlimited and a smart phone. Multple questions. First what I want to achieve with the hotspot is a fast internet connection and cable on the tv. So if the phone has Bluetooth that will enable connection to the TV via Roku or Firestick or the like? I have HBO To Go and I think I can get my cable service piped in. Am I correct with the blutooth and a device giving me tv programming? Of all the devices available, any stand above the others? As for internet , I should be able to get the laptop on through the phone? The phone and laptop can connect with WiFi? Smart phones produce a wifi spot? Finally , I don't need a phone with a big screen , just functional and sturdy. And reasonable, leaving Apple out. Any preferances on phone?
    I truly don't have a clue into the world of smart phones. I've managed to avoid them till now for better or worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Share the phones connection (so it becomes Wi-FI) with the laptop, connect the laptop to the TV via a HDMI cable.

If your laptop is a Mac, give consideration to an iPhone. The Apple ecosystem ties together nicely. They’re blowing out older models as they push the latest and you can pick up a refurb from Apple or on eBay pretty reasonably.
    If you are a PC person, its an open playing field. The Google Pixel is nice (so I’ve heard) and plays well with the Google ecosystem. I don’t know much about the rest of the Android marketplace (we’re an iPhone family) but Samsung makes nice phones.
    You may have difficulty avoiding big screens—seems more phone have them than don’t. I avoided them for years...I thought they were overkill and looked ridiculous. Until I got one. Now I’ll never go back...I can actually get real work done on a phone, my aging eyes thank me regularly and the increased battery life is worthwhile.
    I think the hardest thing to get ones brain around is that these marvels of technology are sold as “disposable” pieces of equipment with an expectation that everyone wants to upgrade to the latest/greatest every year or two. I’m finding that less true...I see more and more folks rocking iPhone 5 models these days which are now going on 4 years old and they function just fine. If you were to invest in last years model (an iPhone 7) my guess is you’d get at least 4-5 years out of it before it aged out of being able to run enough apps to become a problem. And it doesn’t sound like you use many given your flip phone, but don’t dismiss that once you start using them you may find them rather useful. A well-designed, dedicated app (such as the one my medical group uses for appointment scheduling, prescription requests etc) or my airline uses has made those hassles much, much less of a hassle.
    Good luck.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

I still have a flip phone and I don't text. A friend had a brand new in box I phone six that he gave me. I looked at it and said that will make a nice paper weight.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Im still using a flip phone with no texting. I have a need for a hotspot when down south.
    Where "down south"? Georgia, Florida, Alabama?

Or Chile, Argentina, Uruguay?

Makes a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I still have a flip phone and I don't text. A friend had a brand new in box I phone six that he gave me. I looked at it and said that will make a nice paper weight.
    Ludditism is not an attractive trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Its a tool. If you dont need a smartphones functions then ok.
    But if you get the hang of it, it can ease many operations.
    GPS, money payments everywhere, as a ticket, skype/facetime, taking great photos, or videos, listening to music, radio, carrying documents, etc. ...
    And they are getting cheaper. I am probably buying a new Huawei P10 for aprox. 320 US$ - and it can do the same stuff and just as good as an iPhone 6-8 or one of the latest Samsungs. My iPhone 4 is getting a bit outdated.

The eons are closing
    I am still using Palm webos and that's a 10/year old smartphone!

As more countries evolve into full cashless societies, the smartphone or whatever it evolves into will become the only way to pay. Even now in the far east, there are many times where using cash will get you dirty looks now coz its inconvenient.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Where "down south"? Georgia, Florida, Alabama?

Or Chile, Argentina, Uruguay?

Makes a difference!

Florida. Im pretty much without the major mainstream media down there, just real crappy basic cable. The wifi internet is super slow to the point of being bumped off reading an email. I know the Luddite comment was not directed at me and I don't identify as one. I can not use a smart phone without breaking it in my present occupation. In addition , while I embrace much of what the net offers, I do not want an umbilical cord to it. Which is what I view the constant connection of a smart phone as. I desire a separation during the day. I intend to continue using my flip , and use the smart phone primarily as a hotspot. Augmenting my minutes included in my dinosaur Verizon flip plan also

You can get a hotspot puck that is just that, a cellular hotspot.
    You will probably not get serious streaming tv speeds.
    Find the one with the best cell service in the area you are working in, probably verizon or one that bulk buys bandwidth from them.
    for instance one of these:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mobile-...at184700050008
    No need for the smartphone siren call.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    while I embrace much of what the net offers, I do not want an umbilical cord to it. Which is what I view the constant connection of a smart phone as. I desire a separation during the day.
    Most cellphones have an off button

But while "on" a decent smartphone will allow you to do things that were unimaginable just a couple of years ago. I made a list once, and it was over thirty apps I use regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Remember how beautiful America was in the 1400's.

But it was hell finding a cell signal.

^I heart Bizarro!

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Find the one with the best cell service in the area you are working in, probably verizon or one that bulk buys bandwidth from them.
    When in the summerhouse in the countryside, In use my iPhone 4 (only 3G) as modem, and we have actually streamed films (and watched on the PC) without problems.
    I didn't think it would work, but it does.

^fuck the phone. I want a summerhouse
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The info I got from Verizon was that their hotspot only,the Jetpack , was 130/month , while a phone with a plan called Beyond Unlimited, was 85/month using a smart phone. According to neighbors in FL ,Verizon is best there. The Verizon lady was very nice on the phone,understood whay I needed and spent some time giving what she thought was the best solution. She dismissed the Jetpack as to costly. I might be able to cut costs if I can find a non Verizon carrier that does well in that location. Pretty much everyone is cheaper than Verizon. I get 3 flip phones ,shared minutes with a cap , for less than 1 smart phone plan. With Verizon service. Smart phones carry a real premium.

If you want an Android I would suggest a refurb or used LG. Not as much cache as Google or iPhone but all the functionality a replaceable battery, upgradable storage and much less costly (for most models, their flagship model isn’t cheap). Better camera features on some models too if that’s a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    ^fuck the phone. I want a summerhouse

http://hulsig.dk - thats mine

Just over the bluff there looks to be a water view. That's where I'd put the cabin. Tent. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    If you want an Android I would suggest a refurb or used LG. Not as much cache as Google or iPhone but all the functionality a replaceable battery, upgradable storage and much less costly (for most models, their flagship model isn’t cheap). Better camera features on some models too if that’s a consideration.
    The LG Optimus L9—my first “smart”phone—was the worst phone I ever owned. Supposedly they have improved since then, but caveat emptor.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

http://hulsig.dk - thats mine

oh man, that's sweet!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    oh man, that's sweet!
    A small documentary about nature in the area (in english)

Did Verizon bring up non-unlimited plans? I'm thinking they are selling you above what you really need. You can get 1 GB, 2 GB and 3 GB data plans cheaper than the unlimited plan.

Is the $85 you mentioned just for the data? You would still have to pay $40 more per phone for phone/texting access. Plus you may have to pay for the phone. You could buy the phone outright or you could pay between $20-$30 a month for the phone itself.

Where in Florida? I have Verizon here in Boynton Beach (East Coast between West Palm and Boca Raton), but I know some people who have MetroPCS who say they have no problems. MetroPCS has $35 all inclusive plans as long as you buy the phone.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap