Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankensnow!

I never understand the panic at the supermarkets. When's the last time you couldn't get out of your house for three days?

And what's the deal with everyone buying snow shovels? What happened to the snow shovel they bought before the last storm?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pepe - I hear ya' man !!!

I loved the big snow storms when we were kids: days off school, endless play-time outside (snow forts, snow-ball fights), ski trips, snow shoe hikes . . . and all the other winter fun like ice fishing, skating - you name it.

Of course the media will "awful-ize" any major event like this - but there are stupid fucks who will get into trouble by not listening to the basic information and safety tips.

Mom's expecting over a foot - but y'all will probably get more according to the maps - - - oh well, just take it easy and enjoy the endless sex with your significant other (or yourself).

jk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I never understand the panic at the supermarkets. When's the last time you couldn't get out of your house for three days?
    February 6th-10th, 1978.
    And what's the deal with everyone buying snow shovels? What happened to the snow shovel they bought before the last storm?
    People who just moved to the area from warmer climes?

Lino
    She's coming down heavy here in Niagara Region Canada.

Up here in the True White North, Toronto that is, we have had a few years of relatively mild winters, love that global warming.

I believe that has spoiled us a little, and now when we do get a large amount of snow people seem to go into a panic.

I think over the 48 hour period starting yesterday and through today we are probably going to get more snow than the last 3 winters put together.

My only concern is a gig I wanted to attend tonight with up and coming Canadian proggers DRUCKFARBEN. I'll have no problem getting there but don't really want to be all by my lonesome. My brother and Dave Sr. were supposed to go also but they live further away from the venue than is my office from which I was going to leave.

DtB

Just some freezing rain now where i am(Queens/NYC).Heavy snow is expected to ramp up later this afternoon and tonight.Went shopping at 8am this morning;supermarket wasn't as insanely crowded as i thought it might be.Have a feeling it's crazy crowded now.

Stay safe y'all.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

All gassed up and I'm happy to finally get out and make some $$, but this will be pretty bad. 8-16" of wet, heavy snow here in Rockland. That's bad news for power lines and tree limbs. With the addition of heavy winds, it could get really, really messy.

As usual, I'm sure I'll be digging out a handful of morons who thought their SUV was the Batmobile. If I can, I'll take some pics or videos.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Lino
    you are the best Klonk. Hope you have a nice couple days business wise.

What Lino said, Scott!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    both my kids' schools were closed today but we only got about 1" of snow so far. There are supposed to be strong winds starting this afternoon though - it seems like the storm hasn't really started yet...

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Online they're saying that it's possible that some areas could get as much as two feet!
    Oh yeah, those internet weathermen are the best !!!

"And what's the deal with everyone buying snow shovels? What happened to the snow shovel they bought before the last storm?"

....They're hard to find under a foot of snow......

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I'll echo the sentiments expressed by one or two others....it is winter. It snows during winter. Sometimes it snows heavily.

Having said that, I confess to being a little envious. I love snow! But, living all my life in Victoria, British Columbia, I'm used to not seeing much of the fluffy white stuff. In fact, this winter I've seen zilch! A little more than our fair share of rain, but nary a flake fall I've seen.

Anyways, for those regions that do get a dump, stay safe, keep warm, and go build a snow fort with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    On a related note, there is a media explosion of epic proportions here in Boston. You'd think Armageddon was upon us. My guess is the corporations that own the media are salivating for a huge payday as they have all the frightened fucking lemmings in a frenzy, scampering for extra shovels, road salt, bottled water, gas, batteries, and trail-mix.
    I ignored the warnings when Chicago got hit with the blizzard in 2011. Officials urged businesses to allow workers to leave early, most offices shut down in early afternoon, and people were urged to get home asap. I chose to work late, figuring on a less hectic commute since traffic was heavy. Big mistake. It wasn't the 20 inches of snow that caused the problems, it was the sustained 40 mph winds that reduced the visibility to near zero. If you are warned to stay off the road, or leave work early, do it.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/?n=2011blizzard#overview

Banned

hmmm...Hurricane Sandy....

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    As usual, I'm sure I'll be digging out a handful of morons who thought their SUV was the Batmobile. If I can, I'll take some pics or videos.
    Heh. Ya' mean 4 wheel drive doesn't mean four wheel stop?

I got to trudge to work this morning. 7:30 AM in practically knee-high snow. It was an adventure, I'll tell ya. So was coming home!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    149942_10200144561349600_2099374470_n.jpg
    Conditions are being monitored from here as the situation develops.

Here we got abou 2-3 inches of snow and winds never really increased. So far, anyway.

I have coffee, so I'm set....

Banned
    don't know about rest of area, but it's a dud in Philly burbs.

SNOW DAY! Our office was closed today. A very wise move. I don't know the official numbers but based on how much snow I moved from my driveway I'm guessing about 1.5 feet. I was very, very happy that I made the decision to buy a snow blower this year...against my husband's wishes. I ran it down the driveway twice today and will need to do it again in the morning.

The big challenge tomorrow will be to remove the 2+ foot drift that the snowplow left at the foot of my driveway. It's too big for the snowblower.

In happier news, we're expecting 4C temps and rain on Monday so some of the snow should disappear then.

MILK, BREAD & EGGS!!! MILK, BREAD & EGGS!!!

Why does everyone get this craving for French Toast whenever a storm is approaching?

French Toast sounds perfect, shit, no bread or milk!

8" and counting

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Pepe - I hear ya' man !!!
    Are you saying Pepe Le Pew is here? Who is he? I thought he was long gone!

We actually got a pretty good amount of snow (can't tell for sure, but it must be about 7-8 inches) but that was it. No winds, which is actually really good.

about 28" so far here in Southern NH. Ugh.