Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Frankensnow!

^^ When he was a kid, he was always throwing tantrums and storming off...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I hope your staff member is safe. It sounds like most of the province is without power. Some houses in Newfoundland have been washed out to sea.
    Oh my...that's horrendous. Scary...

Christ what a week. Might as well have been an earthquake. It didn't effect South Fla but the storm spawned some tornadoes in the Ft. Lauderdale area.
    West coast obviously devastated.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Christ what a week. Might as well have been an earthquake. It didn't effect South Fla but the storm spawned some tornadoes in the Ft. Lauderdale area.
    West coast obviously devastated.
    That is beyond devastating. I'm glad to hear you're safe. Where are you in the state?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That is beyond devastating. I'm glad to hear you're safe. Where are you in the state?
    Miami. In my part of the county we had a little rain and a breeze. That was it. But I've experienced a few cyclones in 38 years of living here.

This coming storm has coaxed out the highest levels of hyperbole I've seen from the Weather Network in quite some time. Although I appreciate storm warnings and general preparedness, I'm so sick of every storm now being labeled 'historic', 'once in a generation', 'life-threatening', or 'nightmare'.

It's winter. It's a snowstorm. Dress warmly and drive carefully or not at all if you can. That's not very click-baity though, is it?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We have about a foot of snow in Seattle, and it's 15º out. That makes it crunchy rather than slippery....

I have a house full of food, and a room full of CDs, and two warm dogs. I'm happy staying in.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This coming storm has coaxed out the highest levels of hyperbole I've seen from the Weather Network in quite some time. Although I appreciate storm warnings and general preparedness, I'm so sick of every storm now being labeled 'historic', 'once in a generation', 'life-threatening', or 'nightmare'.
    We have Once In A Generation/Hundred Year Storms every year now.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    We have Once In A Generation/Hundred Year Storms every year now.
    It's so ridiculous. At least around here (Toronto) it is. I grew up with winter storms every year, there's nothing remotely unusual or 'historic' about this one that's coming tomorrow, from everything I've read about it. It's snow/mixed precipitation, cold temps, and potentially strong winds. Yep, that's winter in Toronto!

It's so ridiculous.
    It is. Over here in Europe (or, rather, on the fringe of Europe) the Meteorological Office has started giving every 'storm' a name early on. So instead of waking up one day to find strong winds blowing about temporarily, we are told days in advance by over-excited weather people that 'Storm Tracey', or 'Storm Edwina' or 'Storm ... (fill in the blank)' is on its way. It scares everyone witless but almost invariably the storm is of no consequence whatsoever.
    Last edited by Munster; 12-22-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Maybe if they named one "Storm Liz" it would have an effect???

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Maybe if they named one "Storm Liz" it would have an effect???
    Now that WOULD be scary
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

It's winter. It's a snowstorm. Dress warmly and drive carefully or not at all if you can. That's not very click-baity though, is it?
    Here in Southwest Michigan, the hype is going through the roof. The Weather Channel has been broadcasting from Holland Michigan, which is about an hour from me on Lake Michigan. Now they are calling it a "Bomb Cyclone". Conditions are perfect for major Lake Effect snow for us, but I am not too worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Here in Southwest Michigan, the hype is going through the roof. The Weather Channel has been broadcasting from Holland Michigan, which is about an hour from me on Lake Michigan. Now they are calling it a "Bomb Cyclone". Conditions are perfect for major Lake Effect snow for us, but I am not too worried about it.
    Yep, I've seen 'Bomb cyclone' as well, and just now a new one: 'Crippling storm'.

This week my Aunt was supposed to drive home from my cousin's house in Dallas to Denver. She had to scrap that idea. She's been visiting him and his family since Thanksgiving.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It's so ridiculous. At least around here (Toronto) it is. I grew up with winter storms every year, there's nothing remotely unusual or 'historic' about this one that's coming tomorrow, from everything I've read about it. It's snow/mixed precipitation, cold temps, and potentially strong winds. Yep, that's winter in Toronto!
    Crazy, isn't it? I went to the liquor store and Indigo (book store for my American friends) a short while ago. I expected it to be busy with Christmas this weekend, but I think that everyone is also panicing to get everything done before the storm of the century hits tomorrow. I'm staying home this weekend. Not because of the storm, but because it's just way to peoply out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Crazy, isn't it? I went to the liquor store and Indigo (book store for my American friends) a short while ago. I expected it to be busy with Christmas this weekend, but I think that everyone is also panicing to get everything done before the storm of the century hits tomorrow. I'm staying home this weekend. Not because of the storm, but because it's just way to peoply out there!
    Yeah, we did Costco, LCBO, and two other big grocery stores to finalize our Christmas ingredients. WOW. People everywhere. I'm glad to have that all done now, and now I'm just hoping we don't lose power on Christmas Eve, with the high winds and plummeting temps.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I'll probably regret saying anything, but...

The term bomb cyclone has been around for many many moons and simply means a storm will drop 24mb of pressure (or more) in 24 hours. These are not uncommon occurrences, it is just a measure of storm intensity. 'Crippling storm' is not a meteorological term, but an adjective that I imagine is pretty self-explanatory. There are some videos out there from Wyoming (and surrounding areas) that show absolutely zero visibility on the roads (and of course the corresponding hundreds of emergency calls of people getting stuck and having accidents). That I think will meet the definition of crippling.

As for once in a generation....yes this is probably hyperbole, although we will have to see the final results before making that determination. It is certainly an incredibly impressive storm with a huge reach. Wind chills below zero in Texas? Not once in 20 years event, but certainly one that is unusual and can cause harm to people not used to it. Negative 40-50 below in the plain states? Similar deal. A flash freeze for the northern Midatlantic? Ditto. As for 100/500/etc year flooding events...that's obviously outside the scope of this discussion but....they are legitimately happening more often in various places (for various reasons, which would probably be labeled as no go zones for this site).

All that said...I agree that the hype and hyperbole is overwrought and that 'normal' storms are being hyped up for attention. But this is mainly from places like 'The Weather Channel' and there are places you can go to find competent and level headed forecasts.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    There are some videos out there from Wyoming (and surrounding areas) that show absolutely zero visibility on the roads
    That's approx. 1500 miles away from me. But we're getting the exact same "THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!" warnings. Our projected snowfall here is between 5-10 cm. with a wind chill factor reaching about -25 C. I've seen hundreds of days like that. I used to walk to school in worse! (Commence eye-rolling :P )

Again, preparedness is a good thing, and for areas that don't normally see this kind of winter weather, like the southern U.S. for example, I get that the point needs to be driven home. I'm just getting tired of shaking my head at how - like you say - overwrought it's all becoming. Are these weather forecasts, or excerpts from the book of Revelation?

No, this is good stuff. Thank you for posting it.

Do we know if this type of weather/storm activity is unusual for December? Because I don't recall too much wild weather this early in the season. Winter only officially began yesterday.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, this is good stuff. Thank you for posting it.

Do we know if this type of weather/storm activity is unusual for December? Because I don't recall too much wild weather this early in the season. Winter only officially began yesterday.
    In Michigan we tend to get more lake effect snow in December because Lake Michigan is still all open water. The further into winter we go, the more the lake freezes over and the less lake effect snow there is. That being said, December is very up and down. We have some years where we don't have any significant snow until January, so it can be a crap shoot.

The term bomb cyclone has been around for many many moons and simply means a storm will drop 24mb of pressure (or more) in 24 hours. These are not uncommon occurrences, it is just a measure of storm intensity. 'Crippling storm' is not a meteorological term, but an adjective that I imagine is pretty self-explanatory. There are some videos out there from Wyoming (and surrounding areas) that show absolutely zero visibility on the roads (and of course the corresponding hundreds of emergency calls of people getting stuck and having accidents). That I think will meet the definition of crippling.

As for once in a generation....yes this is probably hyperbole, although we will have to see the final results before making that determination. It is certainly an incredibly impressive storm with a huge reach. Wind chills below zero in Texas? Not once in 20 years event, but certainly one that is unusual and can cause harm to people not used to it. Negative 40-50 below in the plain states? Similar deal. A flash freeze for the northern Midatlantic? Ditto. As for 100/500/etc year flooding events...that's obviously outside the scope of this discussion but....they are legitimately happening more often in various places (for various reasons, which would probably be labeled as no go zones for this site).

All that said...I agree that the hype and hyperbole is overwrought and that 'normal' storms are being hyped up for attention. But this is mainly from places like 'The Weather Channel' and there are places you can go to find competent and level headed forecasts.
    Good post with interesting information. I am hoping this storm does not live up to the hype.

Here it did not, except for the cold. currently -8, and the high was about +5 at 5 am. We only got about 3 in of snow, which is good, because my 1 year old snoblower wouldn't start this morning. At 61, I assume that any shoveling I do in these conditions is a risk of life. But, I'm still breathing!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Today we had Frankenrain.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!