Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankensnow!

We still have a thin cover of snow but we've been in a drought for a few years and that makes the difference. We used to get major winter storms with heavy snowfall in March and the farmers are crossing their fingers that we'll still get dumped on. But damn, the cold. It was minus 33 when I got up this morning. That ACTUAL TEMPERATURE!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    We got almost 16 inches yesterday here on the shores of Lake Ontario, the entire day was like being inside a snow globe. Stopped finally in the late afternoon/early evening, then when I got up this morning it had started again and is still going. Kind of a nice vibe, enjoying the view from my new condo, coffee in hand (wine later). Winter has been a joke around here for a few years, so it's nice to see it looking like it's supposed to, even if the driving (and walking) conditions are treacherous.
    We got about a 1/2 inch here north of Toronto yesterday, and the sun melted most of it off the car by the time I went to the grocery store around 3:30. We just got a dusting this afternoon. Looking out at my car, the windshield just looks opaque.

Looks like another walloping of snow coming overnight/early morning...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We're had two snowfall this year of any note. One cold spell this week but close very mild for the rest of the winter, so far.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We've had little snow until tonight, but it's been cold this past few days, getting down to around 15 degrees Fahrenheit or a little less at night. It could be worse, but I don't like snow and cold either! My blind kitty insists that I take him outdoors for a while each day, no matter how cold it is!

Attachment 14816
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thank you! He's my big success story of 2020. He only went blind about two-three years ago, and when I realized that, I also realized his quality of life was suffering. One of the other cats had started bullying him some, and he was afraid of him. But he's really smart, with a great ability to memorize the layout of the house and get around, so I paid a lot of attention to him, and sort of acted as his "aid," made sure he got to eat where and when he felt safe, etc. So now he's my buddy, and we hang out outside for a while every day, which he loves. He's always asking for me to take let him out, so I stay with him, and he stays by me and sits on my knee. He knows he's safe (we don't let any other cats out very often), so he really relaxes and has fun.

I like to brag about him - he's a good hunter, and has caught two small Garter snakes and a couple of Voles. I actually try to protect the wildlife from him, but he's occasionally been too fast. And yet he's blind - he has good hearing! His name is Enoch.
    Lovely little kitty. I'm glad he's able to get around well and enjoy life. It sounds like he enjoys spending time with you too. Stories like these I find heartwarming. Cats are very dear to me (my cat is currently sitting in front of my keyboard as I try to type this). Give Enoch a pat on the head for us here at PE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Got my ass kicked here in Brookline, MA. My building's roof got covered in ice and when it turned to rain it just built up. I woke up at 5am with my bedroom carpet soaked and water pouring down the building stairwell. Cleaning and tossing stuff now.

#notcool
    Sheesh... That's awful. I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    We got about a 1/2 inch here north of Toronto yesterday, and the sun melted most of it off the car by the time I went to the grocery store around 3:30. We just got a dusting this afternoon. Looking out at my car, the windshield just looks opaque.
    Well, I spoke too soon. We're supposed to get a foot between this afternoon and tomorrow from two different systems. It's just starting to snow now.

They are calling for 25 centermetres of snow tomorrow in Ottawa.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My cousin and his family were visiting Dallas making moving arrangements, in the process of being transferred by his company. They go stuck there due to the weather, and as far as I know, are still stuck there. He and his wife grew up in Denver, so they're not unused to cold snowy weather. But current conditions in Dallas of all places, are unlike anything they've ever experienced.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My cousin and his family were visiting Dallas making moving arrangements, in the process of being transferred by his company. They go stuck there due to the weather, and as far as I know, are still stuck there. He and his wife grew up in Denver, so they're not unused to cold snowy weather. But current conditions in Dallas of all places, are unlike anything they've ever experienced.
    My wife has family both in the Dallas and Houston areas. Her nephew in Houston is currently without power. The Dallas family is originally from Wisconsin and moved to Dallas to get away from this weather.

Welcome to Global Warming.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Welcome to Global Warming.
    And deregulation.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We're supposed to get another 6-9 inches tomorrow. Though, it seems that, with all of this advanced technology, they still can't seem to get these things right yet.

I'm just over Winter and ready for Spring.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Everyone surviving the heat? I hope so! 95 here, so we’re lucky. Hope everyone in Canada and the Pacific Northwest are managing.

We just got a break, as thunder shower is passing through right now. Temps already dropped by about 10 degrees. Looks like I might not have to water the garden today. The last three days have been brutal, but not as bad as the northwest regions of the US.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    It was HOT here in Victoria, and most of British Columbia. The "heat dome" lasted from Friday thru Tuesday, peaking Monday with a high of 40 degrees. That's 104 F. The previous historic high for June 29 in Victoria was 30.5 in 1995. In Lytton, BC (interior) the mercury hit just over 49. For 3 consecutive days, Lytton set all time Canadian highs.

Thankfully, today's high for Victoria is only 29.

I feel really bad for anyone suffering through this heat with no air conditioning. Hope you're all staying safe and hydrated.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

We dropped about 13 degrees in about ten minutes. It's 72 right now in Western PA. That's a 20-plus drop from the same time yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    In Lytton, BC (interior) the mercury hit just over 49. For 3 consecutive days, Lytton set all time Canadian highs.
    I read a news article that said that on the hottest day, Lytton was hotter than any temperature ever recorded in Las Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I feel really bad for anyone suffering through this heat with no air conditioning. Hope you're all staying safe and hydrated.
    Thankful (as I am every year from about May to September) to have central A/C and a generous supply of spring water on the cooler. It's been pretty hot and humid here too, though not the insane levels seen on the west coast. Yesterday afternoon was 43 with the humidex (about 109 F), but the storms cooled it off for now. But I think it's going to be a hot summer overall.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Well, we didn't have heat anything like the others, but what we had helped warm-up my pool. Now, of course, it's cooling off. But I did finally get in.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We dropped about 13 degrees in about ten minutes. It's 72 right now in Western PA. That's a 20-plus drop from the same time yesterday.
    Yeah, looking forward to a nice drop in temperature shortly here in NY.

Had 109 here Monday. The humidity was low so not that uncomfortable. I had my house A/C set for 72 and the best it could do was 80…..Yup. This was all new territory for us.

Cools off to the 60s at night
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The world is upside down when Portland, Seattle, Spokane and Vancouver are much hotter than here in Phoenix.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    In Lytton, BC (interior) the mercury hit just over 49. For 3 consecutive days, Lytton set all time Canadian highs.

Thankfully, today's high for Victoria is only 29.
    I just saw on the news that the town of Lytton BC had fire descend upon the town very quickly. The mayor said they had about 15 minutes to get as much as they could in their car and evacuate. At this point, the town has been evacuated (they hope) and emergency crews are on the way. The mayor said "the whole town is on fire". They have no idea how much of the town will be left when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lytton Coun. Robert Leitch
    “I saw the really black smoke coming up just south of my house and then within 15 minutes we had to load up the truck, get everything and get the pets in, and we were gone — the fire was within 100 metres of the house,” Leitch said.

“That’s how fast it moved.”
    Very, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I just saw on the news that the town of Lytton BC had fire descend upon the town very quickly. The mayor said they had about 15 minutes to get as much as they could in their car and evacuate. At this point, the town has been evacuated (they hope) and emergency crews are on the way. The mayor said "the whole town is on fire". They have no idea how much of the town will be left when this is over.

Very, very sad.
    Oh yeah......we're just waiting (the entire Northwest) for the first big spark to set the whole shebang alight! AND July 4th (& the scholars who light fireworks w/ beer in hand) is Sunday! It will be just like last Labor Day Weekend when the Sun disappeared for a month.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga