Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankensnow!

Banned
    very litttle in and around Philadelphia. And per PE policy, if it doesn't happen within 100 miles of Philadelphia...it never happened (kidding)

Small potatas where i'm at(Queens/NYC).Maybe 8 inches.Streets are plowed.Life goes on.Squealing kids with sleds and toboggans are out in force ,looking for hills to conquer.Unlike Sandy, this storm is promoting good vibes.Good luck to those north and east of here who got socked.
    Last edited by walt; 02-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Im in the middle of Long island, south shore. 12-15 inches, with a heavy ,difficult to shovel 3 inch layer of wet slush on the ground under the snow. Im not getting off my block till monday at least. The LIE out by me is shut with 100,s of stuck cars. Its The Storm Of The Century, One For The Ages!! etc etc bla bla.........

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We actually ended up getting about 12-14" by morning (well, according to our mayor - to me it seems more like about 10"). Just finished shovelling then making pancakes (milk!).

They should officially change the slogan of the Postal Service to "Through rain, sleet, or LIGHT snow." Also, no newspaper this morning, which was a bummer. There were plows going around all night plowing and salting, so come on!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Sucks to be you.

I hope you've gone to the USPS and local newspaper website to complain!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Our mail came yesterday in the midst of the storm. Our mailman always walks across our lawn from our front door to our neighbour. I didn't think he'd make it yesterday. After I shovelled the walk the snow was up past my knees, but he trudged right across it looking cold and tired.

It took my husband and I close to an hour this morning to clean up the last remnants and the drift from the snowplow at the foot of the drive so that we could get our cars out. I have to hand it to the snow removal people. They did a bang-up job overnight to get the city back to normal ASAP.

Our Weather Dames Beat Your Weather Dames!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Cecily Tynan
    Sheena Parveen
    Kate Bilo (pre-pregnancy, of course )
    I did a search for the ones above. Eh. They are cute, for sure. SoCal weather/news has got ya beat in more ways than one, I tell ya!!

We just had a huge storm roll in. Lasted almost a full day! I think we even got a full inch of measurable rain. Now I have the daunting task of sweeping the 30 or so leaves off of my back porch!!! I hate winter!

Stay safe out there for all who have to deal with snow and other fun winter obstacles.

3:15 pm Saturday afternoon. NO plows seen or heard so far. No mail,Times Sunday suppliments, Netflix....woe is me. But french toast after 3 hours plus shoveling this morning. If it were not for the FT breakfast ,cabin fever would have set in requiring me to kill ,cook and eat my wife.........Theres still tommorrow.........
    all work and no play makes steve a dull boy

Do they deliver Thorazine IVs where you live, Steve?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    I never understood cabin fever, especially after one day. I'd kill for a two or three days where I wasn't obligated to go out to go see someone or go shopping or go to work or whatever. Just two or three days at home to myself, man, i'd love that.

^^^^ I have zero problem with that too.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Had around 28" here in Huntington Station(North shore of Long Island, Western Suffolk County) I HATE SNOW!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for all the hardships. It's 80 degrees down here. I'm in shorts and sandals.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Sucks to be you.

I hope you've gone to the USPS and local newspaper website to complain!
    Actually, the paper did make it to us late morning. This was the NY Times, not a small local paper. But still if the woman who drives around in her car and delivers it made it, the USPS could have too. The roads were fine here. UPS was out delivering.

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticWalden View Post
    8" and counting
    That's what she said last night!

Hi-yo!!!

Pretty normal day in NYC. Roads all clear. Did some commuting throughout Queens and Brooklyn, 6-9" tops. Pretty where it went untouched. Otherwise that dirty sidewalk slop was everywhere.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Pull My Finger
    Hello all....checking in on everyone. We got walloped yesterday with 29 inches of snow out here on LI. The main road ( route 347 ) near my house had over 150 cars stuck in traffic. People who left work early on Friday got stuck in the storm. The storm came a lot earlier than predicted. Most of those stranded had to stay in their cars all night. My brother in-law was one of them. That's gotta suck!!!! The Long Island Expressway was closed for about 8 exits. That's mind boggling because of the volume of cars that use that road. Most of the side streets are finally seeing plows now. We were able to clear the driveway yesterday. Thank God for the snowblower. That machine was a beast!!!! That's all for now...hope everyone is ok.
    Vinnie

Also Long Island. Plows finally appeared last night and plowed some of the snow. Of corse now the vehicles I dug out by hand(I dont need no stnkin snow blowers!) have been buried again. Love them guys. Im waiting till afternoon to redig , the snow will soften up a bit, and hopefully the plows will be done, and the ibruprphin will kick in. Im tempted to get a snow bloweer but have no place to put it, unless I build another shed. Which I wont. Just for today. Anyway Im counting on global warming to turn Long Island into a tropical paradise with only palm ytrees and hula girls, and NO snow.

32" here in central Connecticut. The city plows literally just went past 2 minutes ago (2 plows and 1 payloader). Wife and I shoveled for 4 hours Saturday and 4 yesterday to clear our deck, and to dig enough to get one car out of garage to the street. Took about 6 shovel fulls from top to bottom of pile; then had to walk it 6-8' to toss onto the piles on either side of driveway.
    My plow guy finally came at 9:30 last night (Sunday) to clear the other garage bay side.

Wow. That's a lotta snow.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Anyway Im counting on global warming to turn Long Island into a tropical paradise with only palm ytrees and hula girls, and NO snow.
    ...well I guess it will be more like I would be sailing over the top of your house...

17" in Stamford, Ct. with an early release on schools Friday and 90 minute delay today.

Very bleak and grey today with rain and fog.

Stamford did a great job with plowing, sanding and salting.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    17" in Stamford, Ct. with an early release on schools Friday and 90 minute delay today.

Very bleak and grey today with rain and fog.

Stamford did a great job with plowing, sanding and salting.
    Between Hurricane Sandy, Newtown and now Nemo, the State of CT and Dan Malloy are getting a lot of help from the Fed. Not that Connecticut doesn't know how to handle a huge snowstorm. Of course they got hit a lot worse further north. I would be more worried about how long CL&P are gonna drag their lazy asses trying to get the power back on for those outside of the city limits of Stamford and Hartford.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Between Hurricane Sandy, Newtown and now Nemo, the State of CT and Dan Malloy are getting a lot of help from the Fed. Not that Connecticut doesn't know how to handle a huge snowstorm. Of course they got hit a lot worse further north. I would be more worried about how long CL&P are gonna drag their lazy asses trying to get the power back on for those outside of the city limits of Stamford and Hartford.
    Not many outages with Nemo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    ...well I guess it will be more like I would be sailing over the top of your house...
    Dont confuse me with facts.

Well, now we're having above seasonal temps and the snow is melting. That's a good thing...except for the potential flooding if it melts too fast. Oh, and the huge pothole that has appeared at the top of our street.