Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankensnow!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    90 minutes into the storm and nothing on the roads here yet --35°F. They say we're going to get over a foot. One time about 5 years ago we had a predicted big storm that never materialized, and I was behind a line of plows on I-95 that had their blades down doing nothing but making sparks. It made me wonder if they had some kind of meter on their trucks that kept track of how much time they spent "plowing" to calculate their pay.
    The guys that drive the snow plows all winter spend their summers gluing back down all those little lane bumps they scrape off in the winter!.....job security.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Thank you! He's my big success story of 2020. He only went blind about two-three years ago, and when I realized that, I also realized his quality of life was suffering. One of the other cats had started bullying him some, and he was afraid of him. But he's really smart, with a great ability to memorize the layout of the house and get around, so I paid a lot of attention to him, and sort of acted as his "aid," made sure he got to eat where and when he felt safe, etc. So now he's my buddy, and we hang out outside for a while every day, which he loves. He's always asking for me to take let him out, so I stay with him, and he stays by me and sits on my knee. He knows he's safe (we don't let any other cats out very often), so he really relaxes and has fun.

I like to brag about him - he's a good hunter, and has caught two small Garter snakes and a couple of Voles. I actually try to protect the wildlife from him, but he's occasionally been too fast. And yet he's blind - he has good hearing! His name is Enoch.
    This is fantastic. Good for you for looking after your boy. Enoch is a lucky guy!

Thank you! He's my big success story of 2020. He only went blind about two-three years ago, and when I realized that, I also realized his quality of life was suffering. One of the other cats had started bullying him some, and he was afraid of him. But he's really smart, with a great ability to memorize the layout of the house and get around, so I paid a lot of attention to him, and sort of acted as his "aid," made sure he got to eat where and when he felt safe, etc. So now he's my buddy, and we hang out outside for a while every day, which he loves. He's always asking for me to take let him out, so I stay with him, and he stays by me and sits on my knee. He knows he's safe (we don't let any other cats out very often), so he really relaxes and has fun.

I like to brag about him - he's a good hunter, and has caught two small Garter snakes and a couple of Voles. I actually try to protect the wildlife from him, but he's occasionally been too fast. And yet he's blind - he has good hearing! His name is Enoch.
    Good for you, Jed. We've got one old guy who used to be king of the house but has dropped down the pecking order. We try to make sure he gets special treats, attention, and doesn't get picked on. He was a rescue so age is a guess but I think he's at least 17
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The cat that's at the top of the pecking order, Wicket, is hilarious. He's beautiful - Lilac Point Siamese plus something else. He's huge (like 14 pounds), but not fat at all. He goes around to all the other cats offering to let them clean his head, which most of them do. Also, he spends about 75% of his time on our bed, and usually won't let the other cats onto it. He sometimes chases Enoch and tries to jump on him, so Enoch's usually scared of him, but sometimes they're friends, and Wicket will let Enoch lie on the bed. They're so interesting! (We have six!)

I wonder if I start a Cats Of PE thread if the mods will leave it alone? Or Pets of PE (we have a snake too). But I find dogs pretty boring. The snake is pretty boring too!

The cat that's at the top of the pecking order, Wicket, is hilarious. He's beautiful - Lilac Point Siamese plus something else. He's huge (like 14 pounds), but not fat at all. He goes around to all the other cats offering to let them clean his head, which most of them do. Also, he spends about 75% of his time on our bed, and usually won't let the other cats onto it. He sometimes chases Enoch and tries to jump on him, so Enoch's usually scared of him, but sometimes they're friends, and Wicket will let Enoch lie on the bed. They're so interesting! (We have six!)

I wonder if I start a Cats Of PE thread if the mods will leave it alone? Or Pets of PE (we have a snake too). But I find dogs pretty boring. The snake is pretty boring too!
    You have six cats. Are you sure you're not a middle aged single homely woman.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

(looks around, counts eight cats and two dogs, ducks from Ed's view)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

We used to have three cats of varying ages and personalities. The cat politics was hilarious and, sometimes, nerve wracking! We're sadly down to one cat now. Baxter - an 18 pound Tuxedo Maine Coon mix. We've discussed growing the family but, honestly, it's kind of nice to only have one master to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    (looks around, counts eight cats and two dogs, ducks from Ed's view)
    LOL!

My brother e-mailed me from Bethlehem, PA. Twenty inches and still coming down heavily. I'm north of Pittsburgh and we got four inches.

No jokes, boys.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Got my ass kicked here in Brookline, MA. My building's roof got covered in ice and when it turned to rain it just built up. I woke up at 5am with my bedroom carpet soaked and water pouring down the building stairwell. Cleaning and tossing stuff now.

#notcool

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ouch! I'm in Quincy and we got barely a dusting, the winds knocked out the power for 30 minutes but that was about it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Be safe out there, everyone. Lots of heart attacks in driveways during this stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry to hear about your situation, Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Got my ass kicked here in Brookline, MA. My building's roof got covered in ice and when it turned to rain it just built up. I woke up at 5am with my bedroom carpet soaked and water pouring down the building stairwell. Cleaning and tossing stuff now.

#notcool
    UGH! That sucks! What a drag! This isn't the first time something like that happening to you there, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ouch! I'm in Quincy and we got barely a dusting, the winds knocked out the power for 30 minutes but that was about it.
    Yeah, we got absolutely nothing. Just like you we lost power for a bit, but barely a light dusting in terms of snow. In fact, we had a net loss of snow in our yard!

Bill

#notcool
    I missed this before. Very sorry to hear. What a nightmare.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The carpet dudes are here now. Getting the water out. Not much damage, but a huge mess. I have to teach a class at 7pm. Argh!

And yes, Bill. I have had other major water issues of a different kind here before. Had to stay in a hotel for four days once.

The carpet dudes are here now. Getting the water out. Not much damage, but a huge mess. I have to teach a class at 7pm. Argh!

And yes, Bill. I have had other major water issues of a different kind here before. Had to stay in a hotel for four days once.
    Yes, I remember that! Hopefully this isn't as bad, but it sounds like it's still a mess! So sorry! Hope Lydian is holding up OK!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Yes, I remember that! Hopefully this isn't as bad, but it sounds like it's still a mess! So sorry! Hope Lydian is holding up OK!

Bill
    Lydian is doing great! She was quite happy and wiggly when the carpet guys showed up. We don't get many visitors these days!

#notcool
    Ow! That's nasty. I'm hoping no drums were harmed?

Lydian is doing great! She was quite happy and wiggly when the carpet guys showed up. We don't get many visitors these days!
    Why am I not surprised? She's such a good-nurtured creature, leave it to her to find fun in a soggy mess!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hope you get things sorted Rick.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks, dudes.

All is well, for now. Still damp and I had to toss a few things. But, no damaged instruments. Exhausted, though. More cleaning tomorrow.

35.5 inches of snow in Nazareth, PA, just north of my home town and also the home of Martin Guitars.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Don't know how you guys do it. Here, the house faces south so during the day it shines in brightly and heats the house up. The thermostat is set at 75 for Mom as she's old and cold all the time but it never comes on during the day unless it's really lousy out there which is almost never.

Mom sits on the couch and takes great pleasure in me feeding the local bird population. They are a lot of fun but seem to disappear when it gets cold(er). Wish they would stop crapping on my car. I bet my neighbors hate us as they probably crap all over their cars.

Anyway, slight digression, it's weird how they don't eat as much food when it's colder. You would think they would need to bulk up for a rough night.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Ok. I think I can now contribute here. It is Rare for snow accumulation at sea level here in Washington state. I currently have 8+ inches here and its still snowing heavily! Got some Great shots from the hot tub last night. I still have holiday lights staked to the ground illuminating the snow. Will post photos soon.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

We got almost 16 inches yesterday here on the shores of Lake Ontario, the entire day was like being inside a snow globe. Stopped finally in the late afternoon/early evening, then when I got up this morning it had started again and is still going. Kind of a nice vibe, enjoying the view from my new condo, coffee in hand (wine later). Winter has been a joke around here for a few years, so it's nice to see it looking like it's supposed to, even if the driving (and walking) conditions are treacherous.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***