Thread: New book from Magenta / Cyan Lyricist Steve Reed

New book from Magenta / Cyan Lyricist Steve Reed

The Words

Available from:

https://stevereed.bandcamp.com/merch/the-words-2

For the first time, lyricist Steve Reed reveals the captivating stories and hidden meanings behind his work from Cyan’s For King and Country to Magenta’s Metamorphosis.

A fascinating look at the man behind the lyrics, volume one documents Steve’s early years growing up in the Valleys of South Wales with his brother, the musical mastermind behind Cyan and Magenta, Rob Reed. This stunning and comprehensive compilation of Steve’s lyrics includes images of the original hand written lyric sheets and early drafts which have never before been shared. This volume is packed with invaluable insight into Steve’s writing process, his working relationship with his brother, and the early experiences that have shaped his writing. It is a must-read for anyone who is a fan of the Reed brothers’ work.

• 122 pages
    • 162mm x 229mm
    • Softback
    • Colour photographs throughout

22835374_10211859288851678_503093951_n.jpg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow, I can't wait to reed this (ha-ha... I'll get me coat!). Seriously though, I really enjoy Steve Reed's lyrics - they're very interesting, and have a lot of puzzles/secrets in them, though I'll admit I haven't worked them out all that often. The one I first realized, and was excited to have noticed, was the song on Magenta's "Seven" called Gluttony. At first I didn't see what it had to do with the sin of Gluttony, then I realized it meant the woman in the "story" was a "glutton for punishment." This book should be very interesting - I sort of wish more lyricists would do this, but I know some like to just let listeners/readers draw their own conclusions. But another of my favorite lyricists, Roy Harper, has annotated his lyrics quite often, and it's often enlightening. Definitely ordering this, thanks for posting, Lambsie!

My copy of the book arrived today! During the NEARfest at which Magenta performed, I had a conversation with someone at their merch table about the band's lyrics. I thought at the time it was someone from the band's camp who used to post here on PE, but looking at the photo on the cover of the book, I'm wondering if it was Steve Reed himself and he didn't identify himself for whatever reason!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My copy of the book arrived today! During the NEARfest at which Magenta performed, I had a conversation with someone at their merch table about the band's lyrics. I thought at the time it was someone from the band's camp who used to post here on PE, but looking at the photo on the cover of the book, I'm wondering if it was Steve Reed himself and he didn't identify himself for whatever reason!
    Ooh! I'll check this out. Thank you for the post! I am fascinated by the Reed's work.

(Warning: self-serving plea coming)
    But the real coup for me would be to get a used copy of the original version of Kompendium (the one with the 5.1 version).
    Sorry I mention it again but I am possessed by that record and just cannot find a copy anywhere...

I just ordered it.
    (Steve says there will be a volume two eventually that will cover the Kompendium project's lyrics)

Thank you for this thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I just ordered it.
    (Steve says there will be a volume two eventually that will cover the Kompendium project's lyrics)

Thank you for this thread!!!
    Yeah, when I got my copy I noticed it was Volume 1 - looking forward to volume 2. It looks like the book doesn't spend much space on the Cyan album Pictures from the Other Side, which is a shame as I love that album. But I guess there's more meat in the Magenta albums. I wonder if it mentions Fyreworks at all - not sure if Steve wrote the lyrics for that or not.

Yeah, when I got my copy I noticed it was Volume 1 - looking forward to volume 2. It looks like the book doesn't spend much space on the Cyan album Pictures from the Other Side, which is a shame as I love that album. But I guess there's more meat in the Magenta albums. I wonder if it mentions Fyreworks at all - not sure if Steve wrote the lyrics for that or not.
    Mine was just shipped.
    I really look forward to it. Lyric writing is something of a mystery to me. I know good lyrics when I see them but cannot quite grok HOW it is done.
    Perhaps Steve Reed can enlighten me!

….speaking of which, Mr. Reed seemingly taunted me with an oblique reference in an email recently. The implication seemed to be that Volume II might be close. But i have not confirmed this yet Stand by!

Oblique References are his stock in trade!

Oblique References are his stock in trade!
    Absolutely! I really like his writing style…excellent lyrics…they are clear enough to lay out a story, but oblique enough to allow all of us to fill in the blanks and feel like our own story.