Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar

Remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Back in 2011, there was a news article that David Gilmour was working on a remixed version, possibly an Immersion set, of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." The idea was to revisit the album and strip all the '80s out of it, including replacing all the synths with more organic sounding keyboards from Richard Wright's live performances from the 1987-88 tour.

I know some folks here dislike this album, but I personally love AMLOR and would like very much to hear this remixed version. Has any one heard an update on this project?
    Chad

Interesting that you bring this up, Chad. I was just listening to this one and was wondering the same thing.

To answer your question, I haven't heard anything since the original topic was brought up.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bookmarked in case someone has news.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I emailed Andy Jackson and asked - figured it couldn't hurt! He emailed me back quickly and said he "can't say anything." Don't know if that means there's nothing to say, or he's not privy or not allowed. Anyway, no further info from him really. I'll have to send out my army of street urchins to see what they can find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Back in 2011, there was a news article that David Gilmour was working on a remixed version, possibly an Immersion set, of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason." The idea was to revisit the album and strip all the '80s out of it, including replacing all the synths with more organic sounding keyboards from Richard Wright's live performances from the 1987-88 tour.

I know some folks here dislike this album, but I personally love AMLOR and would like very much to hear this remixed version. Has any one heard an update on this project?
    Define "more organic sounding keyboards". The live versions still had plenty of synths on them.

I love this album too (apart from Dogs Of War) and would be keen on any kind of re issue.

Not a big fan of the album--but this could be a nice improvement. I assume if Jackson said "can't say anything" that means there is something going on. Otherwise he would be a bit of a shit to phrase it that way.

I don't think the market is there. No doubt though, the sound of the album is the biggest problem with it, particularly the drums. My dislike of certain 80s keyboard sounds is visceral but it's a personal taste thing.

That huge reverb beloved by many producers in the 80s also sounds awful to me now. Some of the material is very good IMHO. I'd certainly say 'Learning To Fly', 'Sorrow' and 'On The Turning Away' at the very least hold up well.

Never much cared for 'One Slip' either...that one feels like the most truly 'dated' song on it, might just be me. Don't like Gilmour in stadium mode- see also 'Blue Light', 'Rattle That Lock', 'Take A Breath', 'Take It Back'...
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-26-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Not a big fan of the album--but this could be a nice improvement. I assume if Jackson said "can't say anything" that means there is something going on. Otherwise he would be a bit of a shit to phrase it that way.
    He was being polite, but maybe it means he's no longer involved so can't say anything? Hopefully though, you're correct!

Think the "dated sound" problem is exaggerated.

Radio KAOS, on the other hand ...

While I admit I'd be curious to hear the end results...if the plan is to take the songs from MLOR but use keyboard tracks and things from Wright during the subsequent tour...and they played the whole of the album on tour...and Mason was already on the tour so he doesn't need to replace HIS parts...kinda feels like maybe they should just do an expanded release of Delicate Sound of Thunder?

If they do anything at all, that is.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm actually ok with how AMLOR and Radio KAOS sound. Pass me a Xima...

I don't mind them either, they are a snapshot of their time and I like them fine. But I'd certainly not be opposed to hearing an alternate version of either one.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm actually ok with how AMLOR and Radio KAOS sound. Pass me a Xima...
    I think you mean Zimmer

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think you mean Zimmer
    I think he means Zima...

download.jpg
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Define "more organic sounding keyboards". The live versions still had plenty of synths on them.
    Dunno. Just telling you what I read.
    Chad

It's not legit unless the keyboards were grass fed and kept apart from pesticides, guitarists, and guys with little bloopy beat boxes.

I like my prog gluten-free, thank you.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    AMLOR isn't nearly as dated sounding as other releases of that time period as far as I can tell, at least not as bad as say Radio KAOS (which is just as dated by its lyrics) or Crest of a Knave. Not sure I'm that put off by AMLOR's production to buy it again.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think you mean Zimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I think he means Zima...

download.jpg
    Yeah, but I never actually had one - whereas I think Ian had enough that he called them Zimmers!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I love this album too (apart from Dogs Of War) and would be keen on any kind of re issue.
    yup... that's the stinker on an otherwise decent album with bad electronic Drums and 80s wall-of-reverb

a reboot taking live Drums and Keys from the tour would be excellent!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't think the market is there.
    I dunno. After seeing how The Endless River raked it in I'm guessing they could stamp a turd with the PF name and it would still sell a million units.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    No doubt though, the sound of the album is the biggest problem with it, particularly the drums. Some of the material is very good IMHO. I'd certainly say 'Learning To Fly', 'Sorrow' and 'On The Turning Away' at the very least hold up well.
    In retrospect it does sound "of its time", although I can remember when it appeared thinking they did a good job steering clear of many of the cliche 80s production gimmicks then in vogue. And that they managed to make it sound contemporary while still having a good dose of Floydian psych DNA.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Mason was already on the tour so he doesn't need to replace HIS parts
    He could replace the songs that he didn't actually play on. I believe I read once the only song he actually played drums on was Yet Another Movie, because he was "too out of practice", after spending most of the preceding 5 years focused more on auto racing and car collecting (he supposedly has one of the best vintage car collections, including quite a few extremely valuable Ferrari vehicles).

As others have said, the big stinker is Dogs Of War. First there's the sampled cello section playing the John Lee Hooker riff. There's the dumb lyrics ("Hell open up and put on sale/Everyone gather 'round and haggle"). There's the Scott Page saxophone solo (completely with those moans). And there's the big mega reverb drum sound.

Realised the other day that Yet Another Movie is my favourite. Love the octave vocals.

It’s Jim Keltner on YAM...

Mason has said he had already re-recorded some of the drum parts. I thought he sounded better on Endless River than he had in a very long time...