Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Listen to a bit of the intro of 'Sorrow' on the sample here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Momentary-L...dp/B004ZNA5JO/

And then listen to it on that remix. What's gone wrong? IMHO the reduced reverb has diminished the effect of that intro. I could see how cutting it down would work elsewhere on the album but not there.
    If I recall correctly, that original guitar intro was recorded through the PA system of some arena someplace, in order to give it the distant/boomy echo- so fiddling with it too much was likely a mistake.

The first podcast is now up:

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    If I recall correctly, that original guitar intro was recorded through the PA system of some arena someplace, in order to give it the distant/boomy echo- so fiddling with it too much was likely a mistake.
    The intro just sounds dead now. Noticed it on the first play.

I'd have to give the whole thing a listen again.

Listen to a bit of the intro of 'Sorrow' on the sample here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Momentary-L...dp/B004ZNA5JO/

And then listen to it on that remix. What's gone wrong? IMHO the reduced reverb has diminished the effect of that intro. I could see how cutting it down would work elsewhere on the album but not there.
    First thing I noticed is a ton more bass. Then it seems as if the metallic quality of the Guitar strings has been removed
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

thanx for posting that... it's nice to hear those personal, sometimes emotional perspectives and recollections

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    The first podcast is now up:

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Isn't Gilmour taking liberties in this interview about Wright's involvement in AMLOR?

I mean we would all love it if Wright had been a full part of it, but.... he wasn't. David seems to hint Wright was there all along in the creating process from 86 onwards. This Gilmour version of facts is almost revisionism, isn't it?

As for the remixed version (Sorrow was one of the least catastrophic tracks from the album along with the instrumental opener, with indeed some breathing space), yeah, the guitar is lowered in the mix, but so are the awful gated drums (I don't think Mason played on this track), and that's the main thing, IMHO. All I could hear was those horrible drums, so I'm happy to hear what layed underneath the guitar, the vocals and the beatbox drums now.

Not perfect, but then again the original was anything but that, right?
    You're spot on. Definite revisionist history going on here. There have been plenty of articles over the years that Wright came in late after his wife got in touch with Gilmour, and did only a little bit because most of the keyboard parts were already finished. Mason, while present, did the sound effects but not a whole ton of the drumming. Even early on during the tour, much of Wright's and Mason's contributions to the keys and drums were minimal with Carin and Wallis carrying most of the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    You're spot on. Definite revisionist history going on here. There have been plenty of articles over the years that Wright came in late after his wife got in touch with Gilmour, and did only a little bit because most of the keyboard parts were already finished. Mason, while present, did the sound effects but not a whole ton of the drumming. Even early on during the tour, much of Wright's and Mason's contributions to the keys and drums were minimal with Carin and Wallis carrying most of the load.
    that being the case, this remix includes a ton more contributions from both Rick and Nick and therefore is more "original" ... even if the sound loses that "80s wall" present on the 87 release. I'm starting to think that, after 10 listens, I may wind up preferring the new mix

It's pretty clear from that Gilmour podcast that he is leaving out a lot of things, he cant or wont go into details of what went on. It probably wouldn't show any of them in their best light so let sleeping dogs lie.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that being the case, this remix includes a ton more contributions from both Rick and Nick and therefore is more "original" ... even if the sound loses that "80s wall" present on the 87 release. I'm starting to think that, after 10 listens, I may wind up preferring the new mix
    With this new mix and texternal widdlings, I may even come to think of it as a legit Floyd album

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    It's pretty clear from that Gilmour podcast that he is leaving out a lot of things, he cant or wont go into details of what went on. It probably wouldn't show any of them in their best light so let sleeping dogs lie.
    Yup, but then again, unless Roger (who wasn't there) rants (does he still care?), neither Nick Mason or the Wright estate will call Gimour's revisiting, so it looks like nobody will counter him, but then again if this helps moving more of those boxsets (probably not selling like hotcakes), they're all winners.
    I do think he's honest about a lot of things, but purposely painting the AMLOR era in a brighter shade than it actually was.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Different vocal take here- from a live version, apparently.

Drums again way down in the mix and the guitar too high IMHO. Sounds 'Frankensteined' as a result...not integrated. But YMMV.

Drums again way down in the mix and the guitar too high IMHO. Sounds 'Frankensteined' as a result...not integrated. But YMMV.
    Well, at least they are real drums- I like the lead vocal as well but the mix still leaves much to be desired in terms of execution. Some nice Hammond work from Rick, though.

It is become harder for me to fight the urge to purchase the $341 boxset.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Thought I read somewhere that they restored the intro bit that Wright made for Turning Away (that apparently Gilmour discarded).
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Sounds 'Frankensteined' as a result...not integrated. But YMMV.
    Those remixes sound that way to me too. Interesting, but not fully integrated. I may be getting old, but the combination of the organ sound and the soloing guitar is painful to my ears on Sorrow and OTTA. It's nice to have Wright in the mix, and to have some typical Masonisms in the song, but the guitar sounds too loud and harsh to me - on these YT versions of course.

Well I'm less convinced with the new mix on this one. Still don't think that much of the song, but Dave's guitar parts were a strong feature here, and I certainly don't find it mixed louder than in the original version. Actually it seems to lose an edge in the new version.
    As for Dave's vocals, it's difficult for me to tell if it's an improvement, but TBH, I wouldn't felt the need to change them.
    As much as I can be "meh" about Dave's vocals sometimes, it's not on AMLOR (as a whole) that I would consider making such changes. My many issues with this album was certainly not Dave's singing.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Well, at least they are real drums- I like the lead vocal as well but the mix still leaves much to be desired in terms of execution. Some nice Hammond work from Rick, though.
    Well it was real drums in the original version on this track, but tuning it down was a good idea, but Mason's is maybe even a tad too low in the new mix. I'm glad Rick's hammond is up higher in the mix (especially during Dave's solo) than whatever was there before.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I'd really wait until we're sure they're not going to sell smaller boxes, cos they probably won't sell out in the current state.
    At one point, they might dismantle a few hundreds/thousands of those big boxes to sell the inside in smaller packages

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Thought I read somewhere that they restored the intro bit that Wright made for Turning Away (that apparently Gilmour discarded).
    Again, how would his be possible, if Wright only appeared only at the very end?
    And if it was the case, I can't see Dave refusing a Wright contribution to make his solo album a more Floydish product.
    BTW, I thought the bass interventions @2'40 improved though.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Those remixes sound that way to me too. Interesting, but not fully integrated. I may be getting old, but the combination of the organ sound and the soloing guitar is painful to my ears on Sorrow and OTTA. It's nice to have Wright in the mix, and to have some typical Masonisms in the song, but the guitar sounds too loud and harsh to me - on these YT versions of course.
    Are you not confusing the versions, here? The new version is (too?) much toned down, IMHO.

But yup, something is not convincing me on this track... The whole thing sounds muddier than the original (but this is YT and home computer sonics), thus taking away some of the 80's agressiveness (this is good in general, but this was maybe too a bit much), but this track wasn't one of the worse offender in the genre on AMLOR, so it didn't need that much doctoring (IMHO, again).

Soooo so far, I'd say that the score is 2-0-1 (two victories and a draw) over the original.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Are you not confusing the versions, here? The new version is (too?) much toned down, IMHO.
    Yes, there's more space and overall less aggressiveness in the new version, which is fine but I find the solo sections a bit harsh with the guitar and the organ both intense at the same time and featuring some similar frequencies. Maybe it's just my ears that are overly sensitive to these frequencies.

Again, how would his be possible, if Wright only appeared only at the very end?
    And if it was the case, I can't see Dave refusing a Wright contribution to make his solo album a more Floydish product.
    If memory serves, I read it in the book on PF released some years ago. Wright came up with an intro that Gilmour rejected; Ezrin also apparently offered up an intro that was rejected as well. But, apparently Wright's is in part what we hear on Delicate Sound of Thunder. Since they apparently used old keyboard tracks from Wright's live work for this remix version, it seemed possible (likely) they'd add that back in.

And he was added late, not at the literal end. He's on the album (not through and through, but he's there). So there's no reason to think he couldn't have offered up an intro.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

On the Turning Away sounds really bad, actually!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If memory serves, I read it in the book on PF released some years ago. Wright came up with an intro that Gilmour rejected; Ezrin also apparently offered up an intro that was rejected as well. But, apparently Wright's is in part what we hear on Delicate Sound of Thunder. Since they apparently used old keyboard tracks from Wright's live work for this remix version, it seemed possible (likely) they'd add that back in.

And he was added late, not at the literal end. He's on the album (not through and through, but he's there). So there's no reason to think he couldn't have offered up an intro.
    I don't know about an "intro", as such, but in the Nicholas Schaeffner book, it's mentioned that Rick tried a solo on On The Turning Away, which wasn't used because "it didn't fit". Now, if you watch the Delicate Sound Of Thunder, you'll notice there's a minute long keyboard intro on there that isn't on the studio version. Maybe that's the bit we're talking about? Maybe "it didn't fit" meant that it made the LP side too long? Wikipedia says that side one is 26 minutes long.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    I gave in when I saw that DeepDiscount.com was having a 15% off of everything sale on Cyber Monday. That brought the price to a little under $300, but then PA sales tax put it back up to $317. As with the Early Years boxed set, my wife has decreed that this counts as my Christmas present this year.

I just checked and they're still doing a "Cyber Week" sale, but now you have to buy at least two items to get 10% off, or four items to get 15% off.

For those who enjoy the album, here's a nice write-up

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidch.../#5016ff493ecf

interestingly enough the article says that Mason's drum parts dates from 10 years ago, so the remix (but can this job still be called a "remix"?) subject was in the air a while ago
    They even say that they talked of revisit AMLOR at TDB time.

interestingly enough the article says that Mason's drum parts dates from 10 years ago, so the remix (but can this job still be called a "remix"?) subject was in the air a while ago
    They even say that they talked of revisit AMLOR at TDB time.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that they stopped working on the AMLOR rework when Rick Wright died.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    MyY original post referenced an article from 2011.
    Chad

I just listened to this record. Boy, I find it rather bland, although it is a step up from "The Final Cut". I don't see how the addition of new stuff by Wright and Mason would really make much of a difference. The songs just aren't that great. The original is enough for me on this one. Next up: "The Division Bell". Haven't heard it in a while, but I remember liking it more than AMLOR and maybe even "The Wall". I remember it as being somewhat of a return to form.