Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011
Results 251 to 267 of 267

Thread: Remix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason

  1. #251
    For a few songs that were never professionally recorded by PF on the tour, they included audience recordings. I don't recall all of them but I think two were Poles Apart and On the Turning Away. Fun for those into those kind of super low res recordings...for me personally, I looked at them once on the DVD and never went back.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  2. #252
    Member dropforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,718
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    One more "one more thing" until the next "one more thing:"

    Tony Levin stands out way more on the remix (IMHO in a good way). He has some great bass lines on Yet Another Movie that I'd not really noticed before, just for example.
    That's fuggin' cool. The songs I always liked best on AMLoR were "One Slip," "Yet Another Movie" and "Sorrow," and while the synths were poppin,' the bass was not.

  3. #253
    Member SunshipVoyager1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Philadelphia 'burbs
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I remembered it from the album but not the film... and now I know why.

    Always thought it was Pratt singing on "Hey You", cool to know it was Carin.

  4. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Always thought it was Pratt singing on "Hey You", cool to know it was Carin.
    Me too, actually. I thought it was Pratt "doing" Waters, generally (as in "Run Like Hell"). Carin's lead vocals on "Dogs" (with Waters) sounded quite like Gilmour.
    Do we know for sure it's Carin singing here ? Since it's not on the DVD version, we have to rely on people who either saw PF perform the song, or have seen bootleg videos of them performing it.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

  5. #255
    Carin sang on Hey You when I saw them.

  6. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Carin sang on Hey You when I saw them.
    Thanks, that's the kind of first-hand confirmation I was hoping for !
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

  7. #257
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I never got the DVD of Pulse, so what exactly is the content included in "bootlegging the bootleggers”?
    I think it was four songs in total. Amateur quality. Musically not too bad, but classic bootleg 'shaky cam'. Nice to have if you're a fan of this period though.

    Always found the transfer of Pulse itself for that DVD to be disappointing...not much better than VHS quality. It was only shot on videotape, but should still have looked better than that, surely.

  8. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    For example, they could have included the extra Delicate Sound video footage on the same blu ray as the main concert, rather than on a separate "extras" disc.
    I'm still working my way through the box, but that is my biggest gripe so far. They went to the trouble of re-editing the entire Delicate Sound of Thunder video (removing one of my favorite bits in the process - the roadie lighting a cigarette off a laser beam) but they couldn't be bothered to edit those extra tracks into the main movie? Couldn't even put them on the same disc? What the hell?

  9. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

    Also, unlike the DVDs, the audio on the Blu Rays is uncompressed across the board (and they do sound way better). Both mean more space required than on the DVDs. It’s for that reason (the audio) that they didn’t include the AMLoR remix on DVD.
    I was wondering why they duplicated five of the six blu-rays on DVD, but didn't include a DVD of the multi-channel mixes. I guess that explains it...but in that case why include the DVDs at all? They're obviously assuming that anyone who buys the set will have a blu-ray player. Seems like the DVDs were only included so they could jack up the price.

  10. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Always found the transfer of Pulse itself for that DVD to be disappointing...not much better than VHS quality. It was only shot on videotape, but should still have looked better than that, surely.
    I'm guessing the Delicate Sound footage was filmed (as opposed to the videotape for Pulse)? That would explain why, even though it was shot six years earlier, when I watched excerpts from the two films back-to-back using my parents' huge-ass TV, the Delicate Sound video looked way better than Pulse.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

  11. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I'm guessing the Delicate Sound footage was filmed (.
    Yeah, it does appear to have been shot on film. It also seems to be one of those deals wehre they shot a lot of inserts during soundchecks, like for closeups and such.

    I haven't watched my old VHS copy of the Pulse ppv in a few years, but I always liked that it felt more like a documentary, like something that you'd see on PBS, whereas Delicate Sound Of Thunder felt more like a music video made for MTV. And in fact, Delicate Sound Of Thunder was directed by Wayne Isham, who was a video director, who normally worked with bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Def Leppard.

  12. #262
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    I'm guessing the Delicate Sound footage was filmed (as opposed to the videotape for Pulse)? That would explain why, even though it was shot six years earlier, when I watched excerpts from the two films back-to-back using my parents' huge-ass TV, the Delicate Sound video looked way better than Pulse.
    The raw footage for Delicate Sound... was indeed shot on 35mm film. You'd never know that from the 80s VHS though thanks to all that post-production.

  13. #263
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,489
    Not really interested in this package, as much as I love my Pink Floyd.
    I've spent most of a year picking up the 2016 remasters on vinyl(Dark Side, Animals, Wish You Were Here and The Wall).
    I've had hit and miss with some band's remasters on vinyl, but I have to say the Pink Floyd 2016 versions have been stellar. Some balk at the notion they are derived from hi-res files(even tho those files are direct from the analogue masters), I don't and love having new great sounding vinyl copies.

    Thanks to the interest in this thread, I just ordered The Division Bell 25th Anniversary re-issue/remaster on blue vinyl for my wife and I as a Christmas present to us both. Will be a happy surprise for her since other than DSOTM and The Wall, this is her favorite Pink Floyd album.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

  14. #264
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Not really interested in this package, as much as I love my Pink Floyd.
    I've spent most of a year picking up the 2016 remasters on vinyl(Dark Side, Animals, Wish You Were Here and The Wall).
    I've had hit and miss with some band's remasters on vinyl, but I have to say the Pink Floyd 2016 versions have been stellar. Some balk at the notion they are derived from hi-res files(even tho those files are direct from the analogue masters), I don't and love having new great sounding vinyl copies.

    Thanks to the interest in this thread, I just ordered The Division Bell 25th Anniversary re-issue/remaster on blue vinyl for my wife and I as a Christmas present to us both. Will be a happy surprise for her since other than DSOTM and The Wall, this is her favorite Pink Floyd album.
    I have the blue vinyl of TDB, it is really good sounding, and a nice shade of blue!

  15. #265
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I have the blue vinyl of TDB, it is really good sounding, and a nice shade of blue!
    That's great to hear, we listened to the cd last weekend and I'd forgotten how wonderful TDB is, so really looking forward to this and seeing my wife's reaction will be well worth the premium price paid on ebay.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

  16. #266
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Right Coast
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think it was four songs in total. Amateur quality. Musically not too bad, but classic bootleg 'shaky cam'. Nice to have if you're a fan of this period though.

    Always found the transfer of Pulse itself for that DVD to be disappointing...not much better than VHS quality. It was only shot on videotape, but should still have looked better than that, surely.
    Bootlegging the Bootleggers has four songs:
    What do you want from me
    on the turning away
    poles apart
    marooned

    hope you don't get motion sickness....

  17. #267
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,602
    A buddy of mine picked up the box set (he hadn't owned a CD copy of anything post Wall, I have remastered versions of both AMLOR and TDB).

    Been switching back and forth twixt the two versions of AMLOR. It's a real mixed bag - the remix highlights certain instrumentation and adds some nuance and detail here and there but in some places sounds a bit over-processed, inorganic. Boy, does this remix got a lot of bass. Now, I love me some bass but not at the expense of detail. And I'm not listening on a rig with a subwoofer. Yes, you can discern the actual drums in the remix from the canned drums on the original, but it's more subtle than you'd think. There isn't as much space between the instruments as I would have hoped for. On some tracks (Terminal Frost for example) I prefer the original mix because they actually benefit from the reverb. The opening guitar lead on Sorrow sounds overly compressed.

    I'm not certain I'm hearing enough to move the meter. The remix sounds different but I can't say it's an improvement. It probably would have taken a master like Steven The Redeemer to make that much of an Improvement anyway. The fact is, this album was one of the better sounding releases of the '80s even if you don't think it's a real Floyd album.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •